Re: [jasspa] ME problems on Fedora Core 2

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 11, 2004
      Salman,

      Do you know when this problem was introduced? i.e. did all the 2004 RC
      releases also have the problem? Does an early version of ME still work without
      this problem? i.e. can you eliminate environment changes etc. Does this happen
      in console mode or XTerm or both?

      Has anyone else seen this problem? Is this unique to FC2?

      As I cannot reproduce the issue the only way forward would be either for me to
      get access to a machine that can reproduce the problem or by me sending you
      debug versions on source code to compile and try (which can be slow!)

      Steve

      > Subject: [jasspa] ME problems on Fedora Core 2
      > From: salmankhilji <salmankhilji@...>
      > Date: Thursday, June 10, 2004, 1:32:20 PM
      > To: jasspa@yahoogroups.com
      > I have noticed that on Fedora Core 2 when I do an 'rgrep' command, it
      > tends to hang ME temporarily. ME hangs for about 5 seconds or so
      > before the grep command is allowed to run. On my old SuSE box, it
      > used to immediately run whatever command I asked for.

      > The same also happens when you try to run the 'compile' command. I
      > initially installed from the available RPM on the jasspa website.
      > Initially I thought that it was a result of the RPM not specifically
      > made for the FC2 distro, so I then recompiled ME and made myself a new
      > RPM.

      > The problem still happens.

      > Salman

    • Salman Khilji
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 11, 2004
        --- Steven Phillips <bill@...> wrote:
        > Salman,
        >
        > Do you know when this problem was introduced? i.e.
        > did all the 2004 RC
        > releases also have the problem? Does an early
        > version of ME still work without
        > this problem? i.e. can you eliminate environment
        > changes etc. Does this happen
        > in console mode or XTerm or both?

        It happens on both XTerm console and X GUI. The same
        version of ME ran fine on SuSE 8.0 with the 2.4
        kernel. FC2 has kernel 2.6.

        > Has anyone else seen this problem? Is this unique to
        > FC2?

        Okay I found a fix!!!! It was really hard setting a
        beakpoint in the debugger while ME was hung. The
        problem was that I could issue the 'rgrep' command and
        immediately switch to the debugger window since ME was
        taking all the resources---the debugger window would
        come to the top only once ME was "unhung" and the
        problem was long gone. I ended up giving ME the
        lowest priority on the system. Once I did this, I was
        able to issue the 'rgrep' command and had gdb stop the
        process during which it was hung. I found out that
        the ME was hung in function allocatePty() in spawn.c @
        line 1236. When I stepped thru the code, I found out
        that following if statement:

        if(stat((char *)ptyName,&stb) < 0)

        at line 1290 was failing on all pty devices. The
        function ended up returning -1. I don't know what
        this pty stuff is. So I changed the function to:

        static int
        allocatePty(meUByte *ptyName)
        {
        return -1;
        }

        After this ME is fast and does not hang up. I think
        we should find out why stat is failing, but I don't
        have any experience on this topic. Any suggestions?

        Salman

        http://messenger.yahoo.com/
      • Meino Christian Cramer
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 13, 2004
          From: Salman Khilji <salmankhilji@...>
          Subject: Re: [jasspa] ME problems on Fedora Core 2
          Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 09:33:38 -0700 (PDT)

          Hi,

          ...this is just like a shot in the dark...but...

          A few weeks ago I had a similiar problem with a program stating, that
          it could not find any pty...(I tink it was the tool "screen"...).

          I solved the problem in compiling a new kernel which supports
          both the legacy BSDlike PTY support
          (config help text says:

          Legacy (BSD) PTY support (LEGACY_PTYS)

          A pseudo terminal (PTY) is a software device consisting of two
          halves: a master and a slave. The slave device behaves identical to
          a physical terminal; the master device is used by a process to
          read data from and write data to the slave, thereby emulating a
          terminal. Typical programs for the master side are telnet servers
          and xterms.

          Linux has traditionally used the BSD-like names /dev/ptyxx
          for masters and /dev/ttyxx for slaves of pseudo
          terminals. This scheme has a number of problems, including
          security. This option enables these legacy devices; on most
          systems, it is safe to say N.

          )

          and the modern Unix98 PTYs.

          ..or, in other words...

          ME uses the old style "BSD STYLE LEGACY PTYs"...and on kernels of
          distros this (old and security risky( fearture is switched off....

          Therefore ME hangs in searching for something, which does not exists anymore...

          Keep hacking!
          Meino

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 13, 2004
            That looks about spot on, Salman's 'fix' should allow programs like grep or
            find to run in ME but ishell (a unix shell within ME) is unlikely to work as
            the shell requires proper Job and terminal control which means it needs the
            pseudo terminal. So does anyone have any docs on the new style PTYs? Is there
            a system call to allocate one or is it simply a different naming convension?

          • Meino Christian Cramer
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 13, 2004
              From: Steven Phillips <bill@...>
              Subject: Re[2]: [jasspa] ME problems on Fedora Core 2
              Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 19:05:40 +0100

              Unfortunately I am no kernel hacker.
              But my be you will find, what you are looking for, in the
              "Documentation" subtree of a current linux kernel source tree ?

              Keep hacking!
              Meino

            • salmankhilji
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 14, 2004
                --- In jasspa@yahoogroups.com, Steven Phillips <bill@j...> wrote:
                > That looks about spot on, Salman's 'fix' should allow programs like
                grep or
                > find to run in ME but ishell (a unix shell within ME) is unlikely to
                work as
                > the shell requires proper Job and terminal control which means it
                needs the
                > pseudo terminal. So does anyone have any docs on the new style PTYs?
                Is there
                > a system call to allocate one or is it simply a different naming
                convension?

                Would it help if I post the result of

                cd /dev
                ls -l pt*

                The results are rather long which is why I don't want to post it here

                Salman