ME problems on Fedora Core 2

  • salmankhilji
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 10, 2004
      I have noticed that on Fedora Core 2 when I do an 'rgrep' command, it
      tends to hang ME temporarily. ME hangs for about 5 seconds or so
      before the grep command is allowed to run. On my old SuSE box, it
      used to immediately run whatever command I asked for.

      The same also happens when you try to run the 'compile' command. I
      initially installed from the available RPM on the jasspa website.
      Initially I thought that it was a result of the RPM not specifically
      made for the FC2 distro, so I then recompiled ME and made myself a new
      RPM.

      The problem still happens.

      Salman
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 11, 2004
        Salman,

        Do you know when this problem was introduced? i.e. did all the 2004 RC
        releases also have the problem? Does an early version of ME still work without
        this problem? i.e. can you eliminate environment changes etc. Does this happen
        in console mode or XTerm or both?

        Has anyone else seen this problem? Is this unique to FC2?

        As I cannot reproduce the issue the only way forward would be either for me to
        get access to a machine that can reproduce the problem or by me sending you
        debug versions on source code to compile and try (which can be slow!)

        Steve

        > Subject: [jasspa] ME problems on Fedora Core 2
        > From: salmankhilji <salmankhilji@...>
        > Date: Thursday, June 10, 2004, 1:32:20 PM
        > To: jasspa@yahoogroups.com
        > I have noticed that on Fedora Core 2 when I do an 'rgrep' command, it
        > tends to hang ME temporarily. ME hangs for about 5 seconds or so
        > before the grep command is allowed to run. On my old SuSE box, it
        > used to immediately run whatever command I asked for.

        > The same also happens when you try to run the 'compile' command. I
        > initially installed from the available RPM on the jasspa website.
        > Initially I thought that it was a result of the RPM not specifically
        > made for the FC2 distro, so I then recompiled ME and made myself a new
        > RPM.

        > The problem still happens.

        > Salman

      • Salman Khilji
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 11, 2004
          --- Steven Phillips <bill@...> wrote:
          > Salman,
          >
          > Do you know when this problem was introduced? i.e.
          > did all the 2004 RC
          > releases also have the problem? Does an early
          > version of ME still work without
          > this problem? i.e. can you eliminate environment
          > changes etc. Does this happen
          > in console mode or XTerm or both?

          It happens on both XTerm console and X GUI. The same
          version of ME ran fine on SuSE 8.0 with the 2.4
          kernel. FC2 has kernel 2.6.

          > Has anyone else seen this problem? Is this unique to
          > FC2?

          Okay I found a fix!!!! It was really hard setting a
          beakpoint in the debugger while ME was hung. The
          problem was that I could issue the 'rgrep' command and
          immediately switch to the debugger window since ME was
          taking all the resources---the debugger window would
          come to the top only once ME was "unhung" and the
          problem was long gone. I ended up giving ME the
          lowest priority on the system. Once I did this, I was
          able to issue the 'rgrep' command and had gdb stop the
          process during which it was hung. I found out that
          the ME was hung in function allocatePty() in spawn.c @
          line 1236. When I stepped thru the code, I found out
          that following if statement:

          if(stat((char *)ptyName,&stb) < 0)

          at line 1290 was failing on all pty devices. The
          function ended up returning -1. I don't know what
          this pty stuff is. So I changed the function to:

          static int
          allocatePty(meUByte *ptyName)
          {
          return -1;
          }

          After this ME is fast and does not hang up. I think
          we should find out why stat is failing, but I don't
          have any experience on this topic. Any suggestions?

          Salman

          http://messenger.yahoo.com/
        • Meino Christian Cramer
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 13, 2004
            From: Salman Khilji <salmankhilji@...>
            Subject: Re: [jasspa] ME problems on Fedora Core 2
            Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 09:33:38 -0700 (PDT)

            Hi,

            ...this is just like a shot in the dark...but...

            A few weeks ago I had a similiar problem with a program stating, that
            it could not find any pty...(I tink it was the tool "screen"...).

            I solved the problem in compiling a new kernel which supports
            both the legacy BSDlike PTY support
            (config help text says:

            Legacy (BSD) PTY support (LEGACY_PTYS)

            A pseudo terminal (PTY) is a software device consisting of two
            halves: a master and a slave. The slave device behaves identical to
            a physical terminal; the master device is used by a process to
            read data from and write data to the slave, thereby emulating a
            terminal. Typical programs for the master side are telnet servers
            and xterms.

            Linux has traditionally used the BSD-like names /dev/ptyxx
            for masters and /dev/ttyxx for slaves of pseudo
            terminals. This scheme has a number of problems, including
            security. This option enables these legacy devices; on most
            systems, it is safe to say N.

            )

            and the modern Unix98 PTYs.

            ..or, in other words...

            ME uses the old style "BSD STYLE LEGACY PTYs"...and on kernels of
            distros this (old and security risky( fearture is switched off....

            Therefore ME hangs in searching for something, which does not exists anymore...

            Keep hacking!
            Meino

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 13, 2004
              That looks about spot on, Salman's 'fix' should allow programs like grep or
              find to run in ME but ishell (a unix shell within ME) is unlikely to work as
              the shell requires proper Job and terminal control which means it needs the
              pseudo terminal. So does anyone have any docs on the new style PTYs? Is there
              a system call to allocate one or is it simply a different naming convension?

            • Meino Christian Cramer
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 13, 2004
                From: Steven Phillips <bill@...>
                Subject: Re[2]: [jasspa] ME problems on Fedora Core 2
                Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 19:05:40 +0100

                Unfortunately I am no kernel hacker.
                But my be you will find, what you are looking for, in the
                "Documentation" subtree of a current linux kernel source tree ?

                Keep hacking!
                Meino

              • salmankhilji
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 14, 2004
                  --- In jasspa@yahoogroups.com, Steven Phillips <bill@j...> wrote:
                  > That looks about spot on, Salman's 'fix' should allow programs like
                  grep or
                  > find to run in ME but ishell (a unix shell within ME) is unlikely to
                  work as
                  > the shell requires proper Job and terminal control which means it
                  needs the
                  > pseudo terminal. So does anyone have any docs on the new style PTYs?
                  Is there
                  > a system call to allocate one or is it simply a different naming
                  convension?

                  Would it help if I post the result of

                  cd /dev
                  ls -l pt*

                  The results are rather long which is why I don't want to post it here

                  Salman