Re: [jasspa] Auto-indentation for Python

  • Sakari Tanhua
    Message 1 of 6 , May 21, 2004
      Steven and Gabriel,

      > I'm kind of in agreement here, by using the 'indent' mode pressing enter
      > will start a new line with the same indent as the previous line then you
      > can either press 'tab' to indent more or 'S-tab' (shift-tab) to reduce the
      > indent.

      But why does it lose the indentation level if the previous line contains
      only whitespaces? I often want to leave empty lines between statements which
      are at the same indentation level, and after the empty line I certainly
      don't want to hit tab several times to get back to the same indentation

      I tried to find the code which implements the 'indent' mode but couldn't
      find it. I guess it's written in C but emode.def's MDINDEN was about the
      only thing I could find. Sure I grepped for MDINDEN but didn't find anything
      interesting. Is there already a way to pass parameters to modes to finetune
      their behavior? It'd be nice if the 'indent' mode could be configured to
      maintain the indentation even when the previous line contains only

      > Creating an indent rule would suggest that a 'restyle-buffer' should work

      Indeed, so no indent mode for Python then.

      > The one thing that I think could be useful is doing a semi-automatic
      > indentation when the enter key is pressed. In this situation it could do
      > some vaguely useful things, i.e. if the current line ends in a ':' then
      > create a new line with an extra indent,

      Yes, that's good.

      > if the current line is blank (just has white spaces) then remove all white
      > spaces on the current line and create a new empty line with no indentation

      But I don't like this. IMHO it shouldn't remove whitespaces from the current
      line, and it definitely shouldn't lose the indentation on the next line.
      Assuming that's what you meant by "no indentation", i.e. that the next line
      wouldn't contain any whitespaces and the cursor would be at column 0.

      It'd be much better if it would simply retain the indentation level even
      when the previous line contains only whitespaces. That's exactly what GNU
      Emacs does and I never need to hit tab when coding with it, which is nice.
      Furthermore, to reduce the indentation by one level, there's no separate key
      combination for it (like S-tab) but instead I simply hit backspace and it
      eats one indentation level. (Assuming the cursor is right after the
      indentation, of course.)

      I actually wrote a quite primitive auto indentation because I wanted to
      learn the macro language. It's long enough that I don't want to include it
      in this mail, but it can be found here:

      It's probably a bit amateurishly coded because I don't know all the tricks
      of the language. For example, is there a better way to return values from a
      macro than to set #p? variables? If I understood correctly, !return can
      return only boolean values.

      Anyway, it seems to work pretty much the way I like, and though it still
      needs lots of improvements, it's already usable.