Re: [jasspa] Modifying key bindings

  • first last
    Message 1 of 9 , May 12, 2004
      I know it is a sad thing, I keep on C-a and C-e everywhere with some
      disastrous results (C-e in mysqlcc is "execute SQL"), but if you can't
      get Mohammed to come to the Mountain....

      --- Jon Green <jon@...> wrote:
      ---------------------------------
      A very sad thing to do, however...

      See prefix(2) in the on-line help.
      It will certainly de-emacs the system.
      To do this properly then the key bindings should
      be set up as an emulation mode.
      You might have a few problems with some of
      the macros.

      If you succeed then I know that there will
      be a few other people that would be interested
      in your results. For myself I type Emacs
      commands into Windows apps with disasterous
      effects - wish Windows would support
      Emacs key bindings not the other way around.

      If you progress to a point that it is feasible
      then you may need a little more help in trying
      to remove bindings made in the macros. We will
      need to consider how to address this issue in
      some more depth.

      first last wrote:

      > Hi everyone,
      >
      > I have been playing around with rebinding the keys to make them CUA
      > compliant (just like win/os2/kde and so on) and it seems to work
      > alright for most things, but when I get to C-c and C-x I get error
      > messages. Is it possible to reassing those keys using macros or would
      > it have to be done via the source?
      >
      > I know it is a bit of a weird idea to "de-emacs" the keybidings but I
      > am spending a lot of time in CUA environments and I keep on doing the
      > wrong thing, so I'd like to try to set them up the same (and windows
      > does not allow you to change most of the key bindings).
      >
      > Any info will be welcome.
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Gabriel

      modify your account settings manually.

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

      Message 2 of 9 , May 12, 2004
        I would not find this useful. IMO, ME is the wrong tool for this. I
        would use 'rsync' and 'cron' to set up a mirroring strategy, instead.
        In fact this is what I'm going to implement very shortly to prevent the
        problem I had when my Windows hung and ME wrote my file with zero length
        the other day. (N.b. I don't necessarily need my files saved
        up-to-the-minute; it's enough to have them up-to-the-day.)

        -Th

        --
        Thomas Hundt