Modifying key bindings

  • first last
    Message 1 of 9 , May 12, 2004
      Hi everyone,

      I have been playing around with rebinding the keys to make them CUA
      compliant (just like win/os2/kde and so on) and it seems to work
      alright for most things, but when I get to C-c and C-x I get error
      messages. Is it possible to reassing those keys using macros or would
      it have to be done via the source?

      I know it is a bit of a weird idea to "de-emacs" the keybidings but I
      am spending a lot of time in CUA environments and I keep on doing the
      wrong thing, so I'd like to try to set them up the same (and windows
      does not allow you to change most of the key bindings).

      Any info will be welcome.

      Thanks

      Gabriel

      Message 2 of 9 , May 12, 2004
        A very sad thing to do, however...

        See prefix(2) in the on-line help.
        It will certainly de-emacs the system.
        To do this properly then the key bindings should
        be set up as an emulation mode.
        You might have a few problems with some of
        the macros.

        If you succeed then I know that there will
        be a few other people that would be interested
        in your results. For myself I type Emacs
        commands into Windows apps with disasterous
        effects - wish Windows would support
        Emacs key bindings not the other way around.

        If you progress to a point that it is feasible
        then you may need a little more help in trying
        to remove bindings made in the macros. We will
        need to consider how to address this issue in
        some more depth.

        Message 3 of 9 , May 12, 2004
          The best starting point for this is the NEdit emulation, to create another emulation you need to:

          1) Edit userstp.emf and add your new emulation to %emulate-names & %emulate-value variables.
          2) Create an 'me<emulate-name>.emf' (e.g. menedit.emf) macro file which does all the key rebindings AND sets up the buffer specific key binding by setting the .buffer-bind-key.map-from & .buffer-bind-key.map-to variables (without setting these all the file hooks (like hkc.emf) will try to bind 'C-c C-c' to comment-line etc which will go very wrong, NEdit maps this to C-b, see menedit.emf)
          3) Create an 'osd<emulate-name>.emf' (e.g. osdnedit.emf) which modifies the main menu (this should not change the main top level menu (i.e. 'File Edit Search...' but can change the rest, one of the main purposes for this is to correct the key bindings given with the menu item (e.g. Edit -> Copy claims to be bound to 'esc w' etc).

          The advantage of using the emulate interface is that it should work across different versions, the macro files get called at the right part of the initialisation process etc. which should mean less work for you.

          But this can be fairly tricky to get right, if you encounter problems then I suggest you email me directly and we'll work through the problems. As Jon suggests, I think a few users would be interested in this so if we cen get this working I'll put it into the main release.

          Steve

          first last wrote:

          > Hi everyone,
          >
          > I have been playing around with rebinding the keys to make them CUA
          > compliant (just like win/os2/kde and so on) and it seems to work
          > alright for most things, but when I get to C-c and C-x I get error
          > messages. Is it possible to reassing those keys using macros or would
          > it have to be done via the source?
          >
          > I know it is a bit of a weird idea to "de-emacs" the keybidings but I
          > am spending a lot of time in CUA environments and I keep on doing the
          > wrong thing, so I'd like to try to set them up the same (and windows
          > does not allow you to change most of the key bindings).
          >
          > Any info will be welcome.
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Gabriel
        • first last
          Message 4 of 9 , May 12, 2004
            I know it is a sad thing, I keep on C-a and C-e everywhere with some
            disastrous results (C-e in mysqlcc is "execute SQL"), but if you can't
            get Mohammed to come to the Mountain....

            ---------------------------------

            first last wrote:

            > Hi everyone,
            >
            > I have been playing around with rebinding the keys to make them CUA
            > compliant (just like win/os2/kde and so on) and it seems to work
            > alright for most things, but when I get to C-c and C-x I get error
            > messages. Is it possible to reassing those keys using macros or would
            > it have to be done via the source?
            >
            > I know it is a bit of a weird idea to "de-emacs" the keybidings but I
            > am spending a lot of time in CUA environments and I keep on doing the
            > wrong thing, so I'd like to try to set them up the same (and windows
            > does not allow you to change most of the key bindings).
            >
            > Any info will be welcome.
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > Gabriel

            modify your account settings manually.

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

            Message 5 of 9 , May 12, 2004
              I would not find this useful. IMO, ME is the wrong tool for this. I
              would use 'rsync' and 'cron' to set up a mirroring strategy, instead.
              In fact this is what I'm going to implement very shortly to prevent the
              problem I had when my Windows hung and ME wrote my file with zero length
              the other day. (N.b. I don't necessarily need my files saved
              up-to-the-minute; it's enough to have them up-to-the-day.)

              -Th

              --
              Thomas Hundt