MicroEmacs '04 Final Release

  • jasspa
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 26, 2004
      The final version of JASSPAs MicroEmacs '04 is now available for
      download from www.jasspa.com.
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 28, 2004
        Firstly a big thank you to Jon for getting this release get out the door. I
        believe this is the most stable and feature rich release yet (please don't
        prove me wrong), my thanks to Bruno in helping in this process, and a thanks
        to all who contribute to this release of MicroEmacs.

        In theory you should be able to use your existing setup with this release with
        little or no difficulty, thats the theory. In practice it may be time to start
        afresh, I have seen a few odd problems caused by various historical user
        setups.

        If you do keep your existing setup, I strongly advise you reinitialise your
        toolbar configuration by deleting them all and re-adding them. Also if you
        have a wheel mouse, please rebind the wheel up and down 'keys' as the commands
        these are bound to have been altered and the old bindings may break the
        toolbar.

        The tail end of the development for this release brought in vast improvements
        to the CVS support, find-zfile (little known macro that adds direct support
        for zip, tar, tgz etc files in ME, now bound to C-x 7), directory listings and
        of course CSS support. Detlef also supplied a file hook for AutoIt v3.

        The level of activity surrounding the CSS file hook submission showed me 3
        things, firstly the ME does not currently fulfil everyones needs, it still
        does not support this file or that feature (knew that anyway, I hope it never
        does otherwise I might get bored ;). Seconding, considering the amount of
        interest in the hook, Gabriel was not the only one wanting support for this
        file type. And thirdly the willingness of the group to help demonstrates this
        is a rarely utilised useful resource. May I therefore encourage people use the
        group to put in requests for file type support etc. Alternatively should we
        have something on the web-site to register interest in new features/file type
        support?

        Anyway enough from me, any problems with this release please let us know
        either by this news group or support@...,

        Steve
      • Dr. Detlef Groth
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 29, 2004
          --- In jasspa@yahoogroups.com, Steven Phillips <bill@j...> wrote:
          > Firstly a big thank you to Jon for getting this release get out
          the door. I

          The same does apply to you Steven. Thanx ...

          I updated the online Documentation to the docs of the new release:
          http://goblet.molgen.mpg.de/jasspa/

          Supported Browsers:
          Firefox0.7++
          Mozilla 1.5++
          IE 5.5++

          I fixed a bug for variables starting with a Dollar- or Dot-symbol.
          Those are regexpresions by itself. Furthermore for people using IE5.5
          onwards I made a its-file (something like a chm-file) for offline
          access:

          http://goblet.molgen.mpg.de/jasspa-mehtm-20040301.its

          For users of firefox0.8 onwards I make a zip-archiv for offline access
          http://goblet.molgen.mpg.de/medocs040301.zip:
          which could be viewed with a url like:
          jar:file:///D:/dgroth/dwl/me2004/jasspa-mehtm-2004
          0301/medocs040301.zip!/index.html

          or online:
          jar:http://goblet.molgen.mpg.de/medocs040301.zip!/index.html

          This zip-approach should work also in Mozilla 1.6.

          Comments, suggestions are welcome!

          regards,
          Detlef
        • Rick Owen
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 29, 2004
            Detlef,

            When I try to retrieve the FireFox zip file at:

            > http://goblet.molgen.mpg.de/medocs040301.zip:

            I get an error that the file is not found.

            Thanks,
            Rick.

            =====
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 29, 2004
              Works okay for me.

            • Dr. Detlef Groth
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 29, 2004
                Remove the colon from the URL!
                regards,
                Detlef

                --- In jasspa@yahoogroups.com, Rick Owen <rickowen@y...> wrote:
                > Detlef,
                >
                > When I try to retrieve the FireFox zip file at:
                >
                > > http://goblet.molgen.mpg.de/medocs040301.zip:
                >

                > I get an error that the file is not found.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Rick.
                >
                > --- "Dr. Detlef Groth" <dgroth@g...> wrote:
                > > --- In jasspa@yahoogroups.com, Steven Phillips <bill@j...> wrote:
                > > > Firstly a big thank you to Jon for getting this release get out
                > > the door. I
                > >
                > > The same does apply to you Steven. Thanx ...
                > >
                > > I updated the online Documentation to the docs of the new release:
                > > http://goblet.molgen.mpg.de/jasspa/
                > >
                > > Supported Browsers:
                > > Firefox0.7++
                > > Mozilla 1.5++
                > > IE 5.5++
                > >
                > > I fixed a bug for variables starting with a Dollar- or Dot-symbol.
                > > Those are regexpresions by itself. Furthermore for people using IE5.5
                > > onwards I made a its-file (something like a chm-file) for offline
                > > access:
                > >
                > > http://goblet.molgen.mpg.de/jasspa-mehtm-20040301.its
                > >
                > > For users of firefox0.8 onwards I make a zip-archiv for offline access
                > > http://goblet.molgen.mpg.de/medocs040301.zip:
                > > which could be viewed with a url like:
                > > jar:file:///D:/dgroth/dwl/me2004/jasspa-mehtm-2004
                > > 0301/medocs040301.zip!/index.html
                > >
                > > or online:
                > > jar:http://goblet.molgen.mpg.de/medocs040301.zip!/index.html
                > >
                > > This zip-approach should work also in Mozilla 1.6.
                > >
                > > Comments, suggestions are welcome!
                > >
                > > regards,
                > > Detlef
                > >

                > =====
              • first last
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 30, 2004
                  Thanks to everyone involved for this release,

                  I have found the best thing about JASSPA/ME are the people in this
                  list. I have tried other editors and, while some of them have quite a
                  few more things that ME and bigger communities, this is the most
                  responsive one I have found.

                  The .css hook is a clear example, days before a release, someone sends
                  a half-baked hook and everyone chips in fixes and suddenly the latest
                  release is there with proper css support. That was impressive!

                  For the next release I will learn how program macros and I want to add
                  a few things (subversion support being the main one).

                  Maybe we should create some kind of "bugzilla" system to add bug
                  reports and feature requests and an option for people to vote on them.
                  Linked to this there should be a page in the ME site where all the
                  features are listed (I mean ALL). That will allow people to find out if
                  the editor matches their needs (as a side effect I think that google
                  will probably add it to its listing and will get more people to try
                  ME).

                  Anyway, enough babbling for now.

                  Thanks everyone

                  Gabriel

                  PS. I am using the css mode all the time now :)