[jasspa] Keypad operation on UNIX

  • Jonathan Naughton-Green
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 29, 1999
      Looks like the numeric key-pad keys are not bound within the
      UNIX environments. You need to add the following translate-key
      operations in order to get them working:-

      translate-key "kp-home" 7
      translate-key "kp-up" 8
      translate-key "kp-page-up" 9
      translate-key "kp-left" 4
      translate-key "kp-right" 6
      translate-key "kp-begin" 5
      translate-key "kp-end" 1
      translate-key "kp-dowm" 2
      translate-key "kp-page-down" 3
      translate-key "kp-insert" 0
      translate-key "kp-delete" "."
      translate-key "kp-add" "+"
      translate-key "kp-subtract" "-"
      translate-key "kp-multiply" "*"
      translate-key "kp-divide" "/"
      translate-key "kp-enter" "return"

      Note that there is a spelling mistake in the key "kp-dowm" which
      should read "kp-down" - this is a typo in the source. If you fix
      the source then you need to rememeber to change the spelling in the
      macro file. Apart from that everything else works fine.
      Depressing the "Num Lock" provides the alternative navigation
      defintions as expected.

      Jon Green J.D.Naughton-Green

      SAMSUNG Electronics Ltd
      The Communication Centre
      South Street
      Staines Tel: +44 (0)1784 428600 ext 644
      MIDDLESEX Fax: +44 (0)1784 428620
      TW18 4QE Email (work): jnaught@...
      England Email (home): jon@...
    • Jonathan Naughton-Green
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 29, 1999
        May be I should clarify this a little more - because there
        is something wrong somewhere. I'm running a remote XTerm
        (Exceed) into a Caledra Linux Box, the arrow/page-up/down
        are operating correctly and none of the digits are coming
        through, hence the translations below.

        I am now wondering if there is something wrong with the
        X configuration or Exceed configuration because the NumLock
        looks to be inverted. In addition I get different behaviour
        on the console - very unpleasent !!

        I'll let you know if I find a fix - anybody else experiencing
        similar problems ??

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 29, 1999
          Oh, happy day. Finally got the numeric keypad working. I asked about this a long time ago, and the fix seemed really complicated. This, I can handle :-)

          BTW I did this to cover all the bases:
          !force translate-key "kp-dowm" 2
          !force translate-key "kp-down" 2

          Note: My numlock works correctly...

          -Th

          [Jonathan Naughton-Green 05:13 PM 10/29/99 +0000]
          |May be I should clarify this a little more - because there
          |is something wrong somewhere. I'm running a remote XTerm
          |(Exceed) into a Caledra Linux Box, the arrow/page-up/down
          |are operating correctly and none of the digits are coming
          |through, hence the translations below.
          |
          |I am now wondering if there is something wrong with the
          |X configuration or Exceed configuration because the NumLock
          |looks to be inverted. In addition I get different behaviour
          |on the console - very unpleasent !!
          |
          |I'll let you know if I find a fix - anybody else experiencing
          |similar problems ??
          |
          |Jonathan Naughton-Green wrote:
          |>
          |> Looks like the numeric key-pad keys are not bound within the
          |> UNIX environments. You need to add the following translate-key
          |> operations in order to get them working:-
          |>
          |> translate-key "kp-home" 7
          |> translate-key "kp-up" 8
          |> translate-key "kp-page-up" 9
          |> translate-key "kp-left" 4
          |> translate-key "kp-right" 6
          |> translate-key "kp-begin" 5
          |> translate-key "kp-end" 1
          |> translate-key "kp-dowm" 2
          |> translate-key "kp-page-down" 3
          |> translate-key "kp-insert" 0
          |> translate-key "kp-delete" "."
          |> translate-key "kp-add" "+"
          |> translate-key "kp-subtract" "-"
          |> translate-key "kp-multiply" "*"
          |> translate-key "kp-divide" "/"
          |> translate-key "kp-enter" "return"
          |>
          |> Note that there is a spelling mistake in the key "kp-dowm" which
          |> should read "kp-down" - this is a typo in the source. If you fix
          |> the source then you need to rememeber to change the spelling in the
          |> macro file. Apart from that everything else works fine.
          |> Depressing the "Num Lock" provides the alternative navigation
          |> defintions as expected.
          |>
          |> Regards
          |> Jon.
          |> --
          |> ______________________________________________________________________
          |>
          |> Jon Green J.D.Naughton-Green
          |>
          |> SAMSUNG Electronics Ltd
          |> Samsung Electronics Research Institute (Audio / Visual Labs)
          |> The Communication Centre
          |> South Street
          |> Staines Tel: +44 (0)1784 428600 ext 644
          |> MIDDLESEX Fax: +44 (0)1784 428620
          |> TW18 4QE Email (work): jnaught@...
          |> England Email (home): jon@...
          |> _______________________________________________________________________
          |>
          |> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
          |> Learn2 Avoid Junk Mail. Learn2 Shop for Bargain Airfares. Learn2
          |> Weatherize Your Home. Learn2 Speak Wine. Learn2 Get by in French.
          |> Learn2 Negotiate a Raise. http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/965
          |>
          |> __________________________________________________________________________
          |>
          |> This is an unmoderated list. JASSPA is not responsible for the content of
          |> any material posted to this list.

          |--
          |______________________________________________________________________

          |_______________________________________________________________________

          |------------------------------------------------------------------------

          |__________________________________________________________________________

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 29, 1999
            As you can see from the 'top' display below, ME is taking 12% of the machine's CPU. Why would this be? It's just sitting there idle.

            I'm "only" editing a 250MB file. (It's amazing how robust this program is.)

            last pid: 158; load averages: 5.10, 4.80, 4.58 12:45:32
            1108 processes:1098 sleeping, 4 zombie, 2 stopped, 4 on cpu
            CPU states: 1.2% idle, 35.1% user, 16.0% kernel, 47.7% iowait, 0.0% swap
            Memory: 6656M real, 100M free, 4839M swap in use, 1237M swap free

            PID USERNAME THR PRI NICE SIZE RES STATE TIME CPU COMMAND
            23332 sybase 2 0 4 81M 75M cpu8 44.6H 12.05% dataserver
            23282 thundt 1 0 0 72M 1008K cpu1 225:33 11.95% mesunos55
            23324 sybase 2 8 4 81M 76M cpu5 25.1H 11.78% dataserver
            1325 sybase 2 13 0 76M 69M sleep 31.6H 3.55% dataserver
            29096 sybase 2 23 4 504M 500M sleep 67:35 1.84% dataserver
            63 thundt 1 0 0 2792K 1984K cpu12 0:47 1.74% top
            29130 sybase 2 34 4 504M 499M sleep 27:35 1.48% dataserver
            19084 etsdev 9 52 2 195M 32M sleep 22:10 0.89% qbc_svr
            29129 sybase 2 46 4 504M 499M sleep 49:49 0.88% dataserver
            19245 etsdev 16 44 2 20M 16M sleep 4:54 0.85% mts_svr
            21100 sybase 2 46 4 76M 70M sleep 803:03 0.83% dataserver
            21070 etsdemo 11 53 2 11M 7600K sleep 25:18 0.71% mts_p3_svr
            19227 etsdev 8 44 2 12M 7360K sleep 16:56 0.71% qch_svr
            7136 etsdev 1 52 2 9032K 4192K sleep 58:29 0.66% rvd
            22176 gsadmin 1 60 0 3553M 2930M sleep 93:54 0.45% gem

            -Th
          • Steven Phillips,,,
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 1, 1999
              The keypad is implemented in a similar fashion to GNU Emacs (it has no default
              bindings for these keys either).

              I suspect the Num-Lock screw-up is an Exceed bug, on my version the Num-Lock
              has no effect. This is probably easily fixed by changing the Exceed keyboard
              bindings. Exceed is not a brilliant piece of software, the new version is
              particularly ropy. I'm about to test the Reflection X-server so I'll compare
              the two if anyone's interested in knowing which is the better.

              Steve

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 1, 1999
                Yeah, I'd be interested, thanks. I'm surprised there isn't a public-domain thing out. The latest one fixes a few bugs around printing that have been plaguing me. Hummingbird has been surprisingly responsive, actually.

                -Th