Re: [jasspa] Unix fonts on ME for Windows, possible bug? (3... I'll stop now)

    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 13, 2004
      first last wrote:
      > After deleting the font (Outline 2000 it is called in the fonts folder)
      > ME still doesn't work with the font.
      >
      > Maybe the font I am using has something wrong and it doesn't show up in
      > anything but ME? The rest of the fonts from different sources seem to
      > work alright.
      >
      > Does anyone have a copy of 7x14 from a different source that the one I
      > posted? If you could send me that one I could try it.
      >
      > Gabriel

      The font file that was in your registry was called "7x14" ME expects
      to find a file called "7x14.fon" or "7x14.ttf". There should only be
      one in the folder and it should be resident in the fonts
      folder. I'm not sure how you can have multiple versions of the same
      font ? Removal of "Outline 2000" will probably not make
      much difference because the font file name will be different.

      I'm not a Windows expert, but suggest that you clean out all the fonts
      you may have added and then import the fixed fonts again into the
      folder and see if this solves the problem. I assume that when the
      fonts are imported then they were copied.

      I've checked through the font code and it looks OK. The font is
      selected which loads it into memory and effectively locks it
      which prevents the font from dropping out.

      I've run out of any other ideas on this problem I know
      that your machine configuration of ME is OK from your
      registry dump. I get the impression that -Th problem with
      2K is fixed with RC4 (which is what we hoped) so it is
      only XP that is now the issue. Unfortunately I do not
      have access to XP.

      Jon.
    • first last
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 17, 2004
        After testing in Windows 98 I found that the bug was still there. In
        this case, it was 'cos I was using bigger fonts (120%).

        IMO, the bug is not in ME, but in the way Windows interacts with the
        Unix fonts.

        Thanks for the help and sorry for making you waste your time.

        Gabriel

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 17, 2004
          first last wrote:

          > After testing in Windows 98 I found that the bug was still there. In
          > this case, it was 'cos I was using bigger fonts (120%).
          >
          > IMO, the bug is not in ME, but in the way Windows interacts with the
          > Unix fonts.
          >
          > Thanks for the help and sorry for making you waste your time.
          >
          > Gabriel

          Hi Gabriel,

          So to be clear on this issue.

          The fixed bitmap fonts are OK on all Win32 platforms provided
          that they are not scaled and are used at 100% size. If the
          font metric is changed, i.e. 11 point selected when the
          font only specifies 10 point, then there is a problem.

          Is this right ?

        • first last
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 17, 2004
            They're not OK on XP SP1, but on 98 and 2000 they seem to be alright as
            far as you have set up your display to use "small fonts" (the default).
            If you change your display to large fonts (120%) they just won't work
            at all, not even 6x13.

            I assume that Windows resizes the fonts to whatever it feels like
            (that's the point of vector fonts, isn't it?) but 7x14 and family being
            bitmapped fonts cannot be resized and so they fail.

            Changing the font settings from ME (I assume that would actually try to
            change the font size and so) does not work either.

            --- Jon Green <jnaught@...> wrote:
            ---------------------------------
            first last wrote:

            > After testing in Windows 98 I found that the bug was still there. In
            > this case, it was 'cos I was using bigger fonts (120%).
            >
            > IMO, the bug is not in ME, but in the way Windows interacts with the
            > Unix fonts.
            >
            > Thanks for the help and sorry for making you waste your time.
            >
            > Gabriel

            Hi Gabriel,

            So to be clear on this issue.

            The fixed bitmap fonts are OK on all Win32 platforms provided
            that they are not scaled and are used at 100% size. If the
            font metric is changed, i.e. 11 point selected when the
            font only specifies 10 point, then there is a problem.

            Is this right ?

            modify your account settings manually.