Re: [jasspa] Unix fonts on ME for Windows, possible bug? (3... I'll stop now)

  • first last
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 13, 2004
      After deleting the font (Outline 2000 it is called in the fonts folder)
      ME still doesn't work with the font.

      Maybe the font I am using has something wrong and it doesn't show up in
      anything but ME? The rest of the fonts from different sources seem to
      work alright.

      Does anyone have a copy of 7x14 from a different source that the one I
      posted? If you could send me that one I could try it.

      Gabriel
      --- Jon Green <jnaught@...> wrote:
      ---------------------------------
      Thomas Hundt wrote:

      > Gabriel wrote:
      > > I am using XP (unluckily, I can't choose). I install the fonts
      from the
      > > fonts settings in the start menu and then go to
      > > "user-setup/platform/choose font.
      > >
      > > The fonts are there, the preview works, but as soon as I apply it
      > > (current) after saving it it goes back to some other font
      (normally
      > > courier new).
      >
      > I can't get it to work, either -- running 04/01/01 under Win2kSP3.
      >
      > When I select a font using the User Setup panel, it briefly uses it
      and
      > resizes the window, and then flips back. When I go into User Setup
      > again, the font info is there.
      >
      > However, I *can* change fonts using a routine I had written long ago
      > called cycle-font. (This depends on a %os variable being set, so I'm
      > including that bit, too.)

      Bad font people on Win32 can you confirm the following please:-

      If you look in win32.emf then you see where windows restores
      the font settings. I assume that the settings have been saved
      when you exit the registry. At line 33 add the following:-

      !if &band $system 0x01
      ; using a console interface
      10000 ml-write "Got here"
      !else

      If this shows up when you start then your $system setting
      is incorrect in the registry. The problem bit is bit 1 -
      this should not be set in your registry file.

      modify your account settings manually.

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 13, 2004
        first last wrote:
        > After deleting the font (Outline 2000 it is called in the fonts folder)
        > ME still doesn't work with the font.
        >
        > Maybe the font I am using has something wrong and it doesn't show up in
        > anything but ME? The rest of the fonts from different sources seem to
        > work alright.
        >
        > Does anyone have a copy of 7x14 from a different source that the one I
        > posted? If you could send me that one I could try it.
        >
        > Gabriel

        The font file that was in your registry was called "7x14" ME expects
        to find a file called "7x14.fon" or "7x14.ttf". There should only be
        one in the folder and it should be resident in the fonts
        folder. I'm not sure how you can have multiple versions of the same
        font ? Removal of "Outline 2000" will probably not make
        much difference because the font file name will be different.

        I'm not a Windows expert, but suggest that you clean out all the fonts
        you may have added and then import the fixed fonts again into the
        folder and see if this solves the problem. I assume that when the
        fonts are imported then they were copied.

        I've checked through the font code and it looks OK. The font is
        selected which loads it into memory and effectively locks it
        which prevents the font from dropping out.

        I've run out of any other ideas on this problem I know
        that your machine configuration of ME is OK from your
        registry dump. I get the impression that -Th problem with
        2K is fixed with RC4 (which is what we hoped) so it is
        only XP that is now the issue. Unfortunately I do not
        have access to XP.

        Jon.
      • first last
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 17, 2004
          After testing in Windows 98 I found that the bug was still there. In
          this case, it was 'cos I was using bigger fonts (120%).

          IMO, the bug is not in ME, but in the way Windows interacts with the
          Unix fonts.

          Thanks for the help and sorry for making you waste your time.

          Gabriel

          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 17, 2004
            first last wrote:

            > After testing in Windows 98 I found that the bug was still there. In
            > this case, it was 'cos I was using bigger fonts (120%).
            >
            > IMO, the bug is not in ME, but in the way Windows interacts with the
            > Unix fonts.
            >
            > Thanks for the help and sorry for making you waste your time.
            >
            > Gabriel

            Hi Gabriel,

            So to be clear on this issue.

            The fixed bitmap fonts are OK on all Win32 platforms provided
            that they are not scaled and are used at 100% size. If the
            font metric is changed, i.e. 11 point selected when the
            font only specifies 10 point, then there is a problem.

            Is this right ?

          • first last
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 17, 2004
              They're not OK on XP SP1, but on 98 and 2000 they seem to be alright as
              far as you have set up your display to use "small fonts" (the default).
              If you change your display to large fonts (120%) they just won't work
              at all, not even 6x13.

              I assume that Windows resizes the fonts to whatever it feels like
              (that's the point of vector fonts, isn't it?) but 7x14 and family being
              bitmapped fonts cannot be resized and so they fail.

              Changing the font settings from ME (I assume that would actually try to
              change the font size and so) does not work either.

              --- Jon Green <jnaught@...> wrote: