735RE: [jasspa] a couple of simple(? and probably silly) questions

  • jegunn
    Aug 5, 2003
      Curioser and curioser. I was able to get rid of the underlining by turning
      'use-fonts' off in the user setup, which seemed to do nothing visible
      except change $system from 30866 to 30850, which seemed to do nothing at
      all when I had done it 'by hand' before. I incidentally have a *MAJOR*
      unhappiness with user-setup; almost anything you do, even if it should not
      touch user.emf, seems to wipe out your user.emf file with all your
      carefully crafted macros and bindings. I am sure I am using it wrong, but
      the documentation, while seemingly complete, is not much help in avoiding
      this problem. I learned years ago just to keep it backed up and restore
      it, but I wonder what the point of setting it up this way is.

      Anyway, one down.

      The keypad thing is a puzzle. I cannot, I think, use translate-key,
      because me thinks the keypad 7 is just a numeric 7, and if I translate
      7 to `home' it will translate both the keypad 7 and the top line 7 to
      home and I will have no `7' key *at all*. Or am I missing something??
      I do not understand how me subverts the X keyboard translation so
      thoroughly and neatly.

      I am using stock Redhat 8 on a Pentium IV machine with an ASUS P4B533-M
      motherboard, Intel 845 chipset; sorry I did not say before.

      Any ideas?

      thanks much, and thanks more for a really neat piece of code.

      --jim gunn