33[jasspa] How about auto-numbering?

    Aug 15, 1999
      All right, how about a nice-to-have: (Auto-)Numbering paragraphs.

      Let's say you have this text:

      1. Buy the gun
      2. Find the guy who told me AOL was a good buy at $110/share
      3. Show him who's boss
      4. Hide the body

      and now you remember, Damn, I wanted to put in:

      2. Buy some ammunition

      And now you have to go and change numbers 2, 3, and 4 to 3, 4, and 5. What
      a pain. If you're using the numbering in Word, it does it for you. How
      about Emacs? :-)

      This is one of the things I really like about MS-Word but don't have
      available to me in a text editor (but would like to). And yes, I could
      write it myself; I'm just throwing it out there in case somebody else has
      it already (or it's built in and I just don't know it) or somebody feels
      inspired (or even that it's a good idea or lousy idea). Maybe a new
      $fill-mode for "numbered"?

      Have I mentioned how much I love the fact that me32 will properly format
      bullet lists, with indentation and everything? Mmmm... bullets... :-)

      (BTW, typo in the manpage for ifill-paragraph: ("sub-bullllllet")
      "This is the main paragraph which can be as long as required,
      following is a list of bullets, some with a sub-bulllet list. Here
      is the list: ")