2655Build failure on Linux 3.0

  • Ulrich Mueller
    Aug 19, 2011
      Hello,

      I've noticed that building of Jasspa Microemacs (October 2009 version)
      fails with the Linux 3.0 kernel.

      The problem is due to the new numbering scheme of Linux, which is not
      properly recognised by src/build:

      elif [ $PLATFORM = "Linux" ] ; then
      MACHINE=`uname -m | cut -c 1-3`
      if [ $MACHINE = "arm" ] ; then
      MAKEBAS=zaurus
      else
      KERNEL_MAJOR=`uname -r | cut -c 1-1`
      KERNEL_MINOR=`uname -r | cut -c 3-3`
      MAKEBAS="linux$KERNEL_MAJOR$KERNEL_MINOR"
      if [ ! -r $MAKEBAS.gmk ] ; then
      MAKEBAS="linux2"
      fi
      fi

      The code will look for linux30.gmk which does not exist, and then fall
      back to linux2 (which subsequently fails because it tries linking
      against termcap instead of ncurses).

      As a workaround when packaging Jasspa Microemacs for Gentoo Linux,
      I've hardcoded linux26, see the following patch:
      <http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/app-editors/jasspa-microemacs/files/20091011-linux3.patch?view=markup>
      Maybe in the general case a more elaborate solution is called for.

      BTW, have you ever considered changing the build system to something
      more modern (like Autotools or CMake)?

      Ulrich
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic