      From: jasspa@yahoogroups.com [mailto:jasspa@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Steven Phillips
      Sent: Tuesday, November 02, 2010 5:25 AM
      To: jasspa@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [jasspa] Re: Overwrite Selection

      Is this to work with just the 'MS Shift Region' feature (i.e. holding down the shift key to define the require selection to be overwritten)? with the mouse? with a region defined by set-mark (esc space)?  or a combination of all three?

      The MS shift region may be possible without a huge impact, likewise the mouse if MS Shift was enabled, but trying to implement this with support for a general set-mark could be awkward to say the least.

      Steve

      cp200205 wrote:

      I guess I am back to this same wish. If text is selected and I type, can the selected text be automatically deleted?

      Jeremy

      --- In jasspa@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Hundt <thundt@...> wrote:

      > Yes, I know what you mean. Windows apps get you used to doing stuff
      > like that. Hitting ^W is not possible? (I think you can do it even
      > after you've typed something and noticed that your selection has become
      > un-highlighted and has started being pushed to the right by your new
      > text. Just because an area is no longer highlighted does not mean it is
      > not still selected.)
      >
      > If you really do want this, I guess the question for MicroEmacs is, how
      > is it supposed to know when to do this auto-killing behavior. Whenever
      > something is selected, and the selection is highlighted, and you hit a
      > self-insert key (i.e., not a navigational or command one)? It could be
      > called "windows notepad mode".
      >
      > -Th
      >

      > Jeremy Cowgar wrote:
      > > Is it possible to configure MicroEmacs to overwrite what is currently
      > > selected? I have gotten into the habbit of doing things like Shift-Home,
      > > Hello, World! By default, MicroEmacs un-selects the text and where ever the
      > > cursor is, starts entering the text I enter.
      > >
      > > I would like it to remove the text on first key stroke. Is that possible?
      > >
      > > Jeremy

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic