2498Re: Alpha Test - A standalone windows executable

  • azynheira
    Nov 3, 2009
      Hi Jon,
      Just some thoughts on the Win32 version:
      1) I maybe trying to be perfectionist, but do you think that it could also be a good approach to put the bfs into a resource reference. This way one could replace it as wish.

      2) Another approach would be to append the bfs to the end of the executable and at run time the executable would search for the bfs at as trailing information append to the end of the exe file and load it.
      This way it would also allow some flexible plug&play bfs. If nothing was found, then it would be regular stripped me32.exe.

      What do you think about this?

      Regards,
      Pedro

      --- In jasspa@yahoogroups.com, Jon Green <jon@...> wrote:

      > On Mon 02/11/09 11:59 AM , "azynheira" pedro.gomes@... sent:
      > > Hi Jon,
      > > Been playing with it! Looks nice .... :P
      > >
      > > Two points worth discussing:
      > > 1) I would see this stuff completely integrated into the
      > > "regular" build environment (I believe it's ongoing from the code
      > > I saw).
      >
      > It is just a prototype at the moment - the source is not even archived.
      > There are makefiles updated for Linux/Freebsd/Darwin etc. Build as:
      >
      > build -t scw
      > build -t sc
      >
      > I did provide the source bundle.
      >
      > > 2) Would be nice to have a system wide variable or a bit in the $system
      > > variable (Readonly) to indicate that the executable being ran is a
      > > standalone binary.
      > > Comments appreciated...
      >
      > I think that you should be able to do a @stat command on "bfs://" to test if it is present.
      > Not tried this or even considered yet - possibly this will not work - that is why it is alpha.

      > > Regards,
      > > Pedro
      > >

      > > --- In jasspa
      > > @yahoogroups.com, Jon Green <jon@> wrote:>

      > > StartKits in Tcl and this I would believe its the same idea
      > > concept?> >
      > > .exe file and your private stuff and voila :-)> >
      > > as well ?> >
      > > >
      > > > There are some Linux versions amongst others
      > > here:>
      > > >
      > > http://www.jasspa.com/development/me-standalone/>
      > > > Regards
      > > > Jon