2427Re: [jasspa] 20090909 Linux, window height = entire screen

    Sep 26, 2009
      Tom Hundt wrote:
      > Hi, I'm having the following issue running the 20090909 release on CentOS Linux.
      >
      > Upon running the X11 version of the program, the window height expands
      > to fill the entire screen, top to bottom. $frame-depth gets set
      > accordingly (79, in my case).
      >
      > And, even weirder, the width. The first time it might be at 80, then
      > when I exit and rerun it, it's 67, then like 30, then like 20, then
      > like 8, then goes back to 80. Strange!
      >
      > It also resets to a tall+skinny size when I switch color schemes. I
      > think it does a general "reset" of the display part of things when you
      > switch schemes. It's this resetting that is guessing the size
      > parameters wrong.
      >
      > It does it even without running company files. (I.e., just the
      > default macros.) But, if I run the binary from the build directory
      > (i.e., MEPATH not set, so it can't find *any* of the macro files), it
      > works okay (and complains it can't find "me" i.e., me.emf -- as
      > expected.). So, right now I'm guessing it's something in the macro
      > files and/or the registry that's causing the problem.
      >
      > Q. How do you find out what the current registry file is? (in my case
      > typically ~/.jasspa/thundt.erf -- but how to confirm?) This doesn't
      > seem to be in any variable.
      >
      > I've been grepping for "-depth" (window-depth and frame-depth) in the
      > macro files but haven't figured out which one it is. I'm wondering if
      > it could be the registry. If I wipe mine out, it comes up with a
      > window 30 x <screen-height> with the user-setup page in it.
      >
      > Workaround is to manually set the $frame-depth to something
      > reasonable, or move+resize the window. (Actually I have a macro that
      > cycles through a few common width x depth combinations for me.)
      >
      > The weird thing about my setup is that it's a 3 monitors wide desktop.
      >
      > X11 client is Cygwin/X X Server 1.5.3 (20090222), ultimately on top of
      > WinXP latest updates.
      >
      > Linux info is this:
      > Linux <hostname_removed> 2.6.18-128.1.10.el5xen #1 SMP Thu May 7
      > 11:07:18 EDT 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
      >
      > Any ideas?
      >
      > Thanks,

      Hi Tom,

      You are not alone. I have seen this on Ubuntu 9.04 as well and am trying
      to figure out what it is. I don't think that there is a problem with
      with the macros because I run on Solaris all of the time and never have
      this problem. Solaris is well behaved, seems to be a new Linux thing.

      I have seen this problem on Linux even when I am using an .Xdefaults
      file which should over-ride everything. However when I am running a ssh
      -X session back to a Solaris X-Client then everything is fine again. Run
      on native Linux then it can sometimes be fine and other times it can be
      miss-behaved and like you say go full screen. Gut feeling is there is
      something changed in Xorg which is causing a bad value to be returned
      and messing things up.

      Will have to take this more seriously and see if I can track it down.
      Glad to know it is not just me. Will keep you informed.