2424Fwd: UTF-8 support?

  • Tom Hundt
    Sep 25, 2009
      What's the word on UTF-8 support in ME?  I've seen no mention of it
      anywhere.  (For that matter, there's no support of Unicode, in
      general, right?)

      UTF-8 seems to be the de facto standard for web-related things like
      PHP and xml files.

      The good news is, it seems like ME doesn't screw up the encoding if it
      counters it.  (It just leaves the "binary" characters alone, and the
      remaining ASCII is UTF-8 compatible.)  This is good; at least I won't
      be breaking code.

      The bad news is, it doesn't display the "binary" characters combined
      into one Unicode character.  So, it's more or less impossible to type
      these chars.

      I just installed the 090909 release to see if it had anything for
      this, but I haven't seen any.

      Granted, this stuff is tricky. UTF-8 is variable length, starting with
      ascii at 1 byte and moving to 2- 3-, and 4-byte sequences for more and
      more Unicode characters.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-8

      Thanks

      Thomas Hundt <tom@...> +1-415-867-6698