2365Re: [jasspa] problems with window size

  • Christof Boeckler
    May 17, 2009
      Jon Green schrieb:
      > Christof Boeckler wrote:
      >> Jon,
      >>
      >> thanks for your reply!
      >> I tried your settings but they did not solve my problem although it has
      >> some effect.
      >> The problem seems to be at a different level because the settings in
      >> .Xdefaults only have an effect if I start ME from a terminal. If I start
      >> it through a keyboard shortcut it looks different (size, position).
      >> I need to explore this further ...
      >>
      >> Christof
      >
      > Hi Christof,

      Hi Jon,

      > OK edit the *.erf and delete the lines
      >
      > "frame-depth" = "86"
      > "frame-width" = "168"

      I deleted those now.

      > Best to shut down all instances of "me" and then use gedit, ne or
      > something to hack the .erf file to delete the lines. Then when you run
      > up again the .Xdefaults will have priority.

      I tried to narrow down the cause of my problems systematically and found
      out that settings in .Xdefaults have no effect.
      Actually on my system the file .Xdefaults isn't even touched by ME (as
      strace tells me), only a file .Xdefaults-thinkpad (thinkpad is my
      hostname) is tried to be read (in accordance with X(7)). Setting up a
      symlink .Xdefaults-thinkpad -> .Xdefaults doesn't change the behaviour,
      although the file is read. (Your settings give me a 73x14+287+210 window.)

      I wonder what the interface for setting windows sizes is (in regard to
      the X server and/or window manager). With other applications (e.g.
      Mozilla Thunderbird) I can perfectly set up geometry properties through
      my window manager's configuration (similar to .Xdefaults). With ME it
      does not work.

      Is ME making any attempts to set its "window size" or is this totally up
      to the window manager? Who is responsible for placing and sizing the ME
      window? I really want this to be fixed.

      > Hope that helps
      > Jon.

      Sorry, not yet.