2317Re: [jasspa] Console ME over slow network

    May 23, 2008
      Bryan Schofield wrote:
      > I'm having to do some work remotely over a painfully slow network. ME
      > works great in console mode -- I'm rlogin'ed to a Solaris server.
      > However, over the slow connection, sometimes complex key sequences are
      > mis-interpreted. For example, pressing F8 sends ^[[19~. Sometimes it
      > is properly handled, sometimes it seems be handled as ^[[1 followed by
      > a 9~. So what I'm wondering is there something I can do to globally
      > increase the threshold for which key sequences are interpreted. I know
      > I could redefine every key using
      >
      > n translate-key
      >
      > specifying a delay, but I'd rather not.
      >
      > Thanks in advance.
      > -- bryan

      Hi Bryan,

      We have never seen this (and certainly used to use termcap mode a lot
      before we had X-Windows support on SGI platforms in the dim and distant
      past).

      The key timer variable is not exported or globally accessible, but like
      you have determined it is specifiable by over-riding each binding. From
      what you said it may be worth our while providing a global 'offset'
      parameter to the key timer in the future to allow just such a tweak as
      you describe.

      I would suggest that your best bet is the n translate-key at the moment
      (I assume that X-window mode is out of the question - this would hold
      the keys together better). I suggest that you start with the F8 and see
      if this makes a difference. The termcap keys are built in but are
      defined in eskeys.def in the source files if you want to quickly find
      out what the key sequences are - or use this as a basis to hack together
      a macro file to extend the times.

      Let us know how you get on with this. If there is a case to add a offest
      then can do this quite easily after looking at the termcap code - this
      might be sufficient to solve your problem. Experiment with the above
      first and then we will be able to access whether it will be worth while.