2253RE: [jasspa] shell commands

    Apr 2, 2007
      When entering a command-line using the message-line (i.e. interactive) I use the C-x y and C-x C-y key bindings to insert the current buffer's name and file name respectively. The buffer's name is usually very close to the file name without the path (sometimes have to remove the "<2>" etc)

      Steve

      From: jasspa@yahoogroups.com [mailto:jasspa@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Thomas Hundt
      Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2007 1:35 AM
      To: jasspa@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [jasspa] shell commands

      I don't think there's a shortcut.

      I think you're meant to construct the command string yourself.
      As Ian just pointed out, list-variables shows various variables that
      hold various forms of the filename.

      If you want not to have to worry about the filename, maybe try
      pipe-shell-command (and supply your own result buffer name to catch the
      results).

      -Th

      Bryan Schofield wrote:
      > Is there any short cut to insert the current buffer's file name in to
      > a shell command, using shell-command, pipe-shell-command, or
      > ipipe-shell- command? Something like vi's %?
      >
      > for example,
      >
      > someScript -opt %f

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic