1872Suppress EOF trailing newline?

    Jun 11, 2006
      ME insists that all text files shall end with a newline. To the point
      of adding one, free of charge, even when the file didn't come with one.

      Unfortunately, this screws up many programs that import data into a
      database. (Today's example is Intellisync for BlackBerry.) It sees the
      newline and thinks, "Oh, there's another line". And promptly complains
      because it can't find any fields.

      Often, I can fudge things by manually inserting a ^Z before that newline
      (this works for Windows programs). But I don't feel like I should have
      to do this every time.

      Is there any way to turn this behavior off?
      (If not, I'd like to request it.)

      Cheers