1791Re: Client-Server

  • Gadrin
    Feb 9, 2006
      oh beautiful!

      I'm in no hurry, just a babe in the woods compared to you guys and I
      thought the feature was interesting. I assumed it was something I'd
      overlooked.

      I was able to do some "hands-off" editing waaay back when I first
      installed it, but it was slightly cumbersome (probably just me) using
      the @ commandline switch. I think I ended up using the normal
      startup .emf and then placed a line inside it to call and execute my
      special macro script, just for testing.

      I'm a big OLE coder, so... <wish list, wish list> which is one of the
      things that got me interested in VIM, but the learning curve was
      ridiculous for that, despite OLE.

      MicroEmacs is a gem even without it.

      Well, give the list a heads-up when you do release and I'll upgrade.

      Thanks for your time.

      --- In jasspa@yahoogroups.com, Steven Phillips <bill@...> wrote:

      > Gadrin,
      >
      > When playing around with these things I try to start off small, so
      I started a
      > new cmd prompt and typed:
      >
      > me32 -m "C:ME:ml-write hello"
      >
      > What happened was a bit of a surprise, my server ME printed:
      >
      > helloC:ME:2
      >
      > on the message line. Having played around a bit I think that the -m
      server
      > option is working but there are 2 serious problems:
      >
      > 1) To successfully send a command the message must end with a new-
      line char
      > (i.e. a \n char). This is pretty easy on unix but in a windows cmd
      prompt...
      > (I'm sure there must be a way but I haven't found one yet).
      >
      > 2) Every -m message has the string 'C:ME:2 popup-window\n' appended
      to make
      > the server ME popup the current frame if it is minimized. So the
      above call to
      > me32 actually sent 'C:ME:ml-write helloC:ME:2 popup-window\n' to
      the server
      > (see that hidden *server* buffer) - this additional command makes
      sense when
      > using the -o option to open a file in the server ME, but I do not
      think this
      > should be sent when only the -m option is used.
      >
      > So I think the -m option could be improved by:
      >
      > 1) 'parsing' the message using the macro parser, this would allow
      the user to
      > sent the message:
      >
      > C:ME:find-file "my-path\\my-file"\nC:ME:ml-
      write "hello\tworld"\n

      > as one message (i.e. '\\' -> '\', '\n' -> new-line char etc).
      >
      > 2) If the last char of the <message> is not a \n then add one.
      >
      > 3) Only send the popup-window command when -o option is used.
      >
      > We are looking to create another development release soon, if no
      one objects
      > to the above changes I will try to get them into this release.
      >
      > Steve
      >
      > > Subject: [jasspa] Client-Server
      > > From: Gadrin <gadrin@...>
      > > Date: Thursday, February 9, 2006, 4:26:11 PM
      > > To: jasspa@yahoogroups.com
      > > I'm experimenting with the Client-Server functions in ME on
      Windows.

      > > I'm using a scripting language to send the commands via a DOS
      window,
      > > which auto-closes once the command finishes.
      >
      > > cd = dirscript()
      >
      > > comspec = environment("COMSPEC")
      > > dirchange("C:\Program Files\JASSPA\MicroEmacs")
      >
      > > cmd = `/c me32.exe -m "C:ME:find-file \"C:/Program
      > > Files/JASSPA/MicroEmacs/junk.txt\""`
      > > ;cmd = `/c me32.exe -m "C:ME:ml-write \"Hello world\"`
      >
      > > run(comspec, cmd)
      >
      > > dirchange(cd
      >
      > > unfortunately the commands above don't find-file or ml-write. In
      both
      > > instances ME responds (the icon flashes and gets focus) but I get
      > > new file called ME:1.
      >
      > > the ml-write lines opens a new file called "Hello".
      >
      > > anyone with more experience can give me a hint?

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic