1748Bug in meAtoi -- leading zeros

    Dec 19, 2005
      From what I can see there is a bug in the atoi routine used.

      I first noticed this when I was trying to remove leading zeroes from
      part of the ascii-time variable:

      define-macro test
      set-variable #l1 "09"
      insert-string #l1
      insert-string " -> "
      set-variable #l1 &add #l1 0 ; "09" -> "9"
      insert-string #l1
      newline
      !emacro

      The output of this is
      09 -> 0
      when it should really be
      9 -> 9

      If I change the set-variable to "9", it comes out
      9 -> 9

      I tracked down the function, it ends up being in eval.c
      case UFADD: return meItoa(meAtoi(arg1) + meAtoi(arg2));

      in eextrn.h it is defined
      #define meAtoi(s) strtol((char *)(s),(char **)NULL,0)
      and the 0 here is the base, and is a special value meaning, interpret
      strings beginning with 0x as hex, and strings beginning with 0 as octal.
      Which is why my "09" comes out as zero: 9 is undefined in octal.

      Sure enough, if I change my input string to "07", I get
      07 -> 7

      So, my workaround is going to be to prepend a "1" to make it a decimal
      1xx number and then subtract off the 100:

      set-variable #l1 &sub &cat "1" #l1 100 ; "09" -> "9"

      What I really want to do is fix the base to be, e.g., 10, but would that
      break other things? I don't know.
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic