1510Re: [jasspa] Search path issue -- CWD, $HOME

    Jul 1, 2005
      Yes, I agree 100%, this is bad and I've gotten burned by it more than
      once and it's a real head-scratcher until you figure it out. Usually
      happens when upgrading ME versions and copying the macro files around,
      or running as root and looking around in a user directory where the user
      happens to have ME files sitting there.

      Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
      > Isn't exactly that dangerous as the alias scheme I suggested ? How
      > long one will search for a bug due to thei sfeature ? I need teh
      > system tool strace to find out, what's going on...
      > In security related publications one is warned not to include "." in
      > $PATH on UNIX system just for that reason...
      > just my two cent...
      > Meino
      > PS: If one really want this, s/he is free to include "." into
      > $MEUSERPATH or even $MEPATH...but as an "invisible" default...I really
      > dont know...
      >>Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
      >>>From: Thomas Hundt <thundt@...>
      >>>Subject: Re: [jasspa] Search path issue -- CWD, $HOME
      >>>Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 17:34:18 -0700
      >>>Yes, I did
      >>> cd $HOME
      >>> me testruby.rb
      >>>So...is it right, that additionally to $MEPATH and $MEUSERPATH ME is
      >>>searching of rsystem files in `pwd` ?
      >>The .emf files are picked up from "./" (current working directory) first
      >>then $search-path (See M-X describe-variables for the $search-path).
      >>$search-path is made up from $MEPATH etc.
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic