1242Re: CUA support - update

  • Box-Plot
    Oct 18, 2004
      --- In jasspa@yahoogroups.com, first last <prelude_2_murder@y...>
      wrote:

      > I don't mean the mode to be a definitive solution, just a stopgap so
      > people can use a decent editor without having to learn all the emacs
      > keybindings or have consistency with other applications (in my case,
      > mylqlcc uses C-e for "execute query", imagine how dangerous it is to
      > use ME's "end of line").

      The problem appears when they try to use GNU Emacs/XEmacs and find out
      that it completely different.

      > One of the main things that ME has that most other Unix/
      multiplatform
      > editor is that you can configure most things with a GUI. Try
      > configuring scite (just one example), you need to edit the
      > configuration file and it is not that easy. You can't expect a
      newbie
      > to do that (you can't expect it from me either, I don't have that
      much
      > time to waste configuring a text editor, that's why I try every
      single
      > editor I can get my hands on and always come back to ME, it just
      works
      > for 90% of the things I want to do).

      If someone can't configure SciTE, they can try Notepad2, Metapad,
      EditPad Lite...
      SciTE is just between GUI users and keyboard-driven editors -- has a
      decent GUI, but can become much more powerful if you take some time to
      configure it. IMHO, lots of "advanced" configuration should be hidden
      from the common user, or else he'll get lost between tons of
      configuration options.

      > Apps that use C-w to close tab (buffer): mozilla, konqueror,
      > openoffice. Many others (kate, mysqlcc) use C-f4, but I put that one
      > "close window"... as you said, many things are not exactly "set".

      C-F4 should do the same as C-w: close a tab or window.
      A-F4 should exit the application completely.

      --
      Box-Plot