1221Re: [jasspa] CUA support - update

    Oct 15, 2004
      I'm against spending any effort making ME more like Notepad. I think if
      we made ME at all CUI-approximating, we can just rename it Micro
      Notepad, because it won't be Emacs-like at all, anymore. The keys just
      about conflict 100%. I would never use it this way. I like being able
      to move around in my document using keyboard keys!

      And there are bigger usability fish to fry: The support
      for fill-in forms (e.g., User Prefs) is just not really usable
      for the non-hacker and super confusing (if you aren't running in
      GUI mode with a mouse to fall back on). And the online help
      (that pop-up box!!) is almost as bad. Those problems, alas, drag
      down a lot of good work. It's in these area that I really wish ME were
      more Windows-like. (Windows Logo requirements like being able to use
      all GUIs even without a mouse, using keys like Ctrl-Tab to flip through
      tabbed dialogs, use of space to check boxes and drop down lists, and
      support for OK/Cancel and not using Enter for anything except OK.
      Windows has an excellent set of standards for those things.)

      -Tom Hundt