1148Re: [jasspa] Weird character (Fixed)

  • first last
    Aug 9 3:32 AM
      Thanks Jon and Steven, the global-bind-key function did the trick. Now
      I can go back to using tabs :)

      Do you think that it would be a good idea to include a faq entry in the
      help menu? It would probably save you answering the same questions over
      and over in this list...

      Gabriel
      --- Jon Green <jon@...> wrote:

      ---------------------------------
      first last wrote:
      > Hi. I have found a slight annoyance with ME on Gentoo 2004-2. I am
      > using pewkm and so I can join frames in tabs, and have mapped windows
      > (Mod4) + l to next tab. On ME. as soon as as I press the windows key
      > get an accented character (ë), so I can't use that method. It only
      > happens on me.
      >
      > Could it be possible to avoid this behavoiur? Is it a bug in ME or in
      > xorgs keyboard handling?
      >
      > I am using xorg with 105 keyboard with gb layout.
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Gabriel

      Gabriel,

      Below are a selection of previous psotings on bad keys
      and translations methods. You should be able to map
      (or get rid of) the key using one of the following
      methods. Once you know what the key sequence is then
      it is fairly easy to map it out or translate it to
      something more useful.

      Regards
      Jon

      From: 04/01/14

      M-x describe-key

      Then hit the key giving you a problem.
      Will display the key code that it received.

      If there are multiple keys being sent in then
      use:

      M-x list-variables

      and find the variable $recent-keys this
      will show you all of the keys that
      have come in recently. Trouble with
      $recent-keys is that you have to type
      keys to get to it. What I normally is
      temporarily bind list variables to
      a key i.e.

      M-x global-bind-key<CR>
      global bind:list-variables<CR>
      to:<f9>

      The binding should now be set up, now enter
      the following sequence of keys.

      <f9> - should get variable list with new binding.
      <duff key> - strike duff key once
      <f9> - should update the variable list

      Your duff key codes will be between the two f9's
      in the variable $recent-keys.

      If there are multiple characters received then
      use translate-key to turn them into nothing or
      somethiong else. Could also use translate-key
      to turn a single key into nothing - I think this
      works - if it does translate key is better than
      the void binding to get rid of the key.

      From: 04/01/14

      If you do not want it then globally bind it to "void"

      i.e.

      global-bind-key void "<key code>"

      From: 04/01/17

      Fix one key at a time, first find out what the
      key is to find out the key code and then use
      translate-key to fix it. The standard key board
      translations that we do are in the file "keyboard.emf"
      so you can use this as an example of how to
      translate a key i.e.

      translate-key "<from codes>" "<to codes>"

      If you want to get rid of a key then use

      global-bind-key void "<duff key>"

      Add the translations and global bindings
      to your <user>.emf file so they are run
      at startup. If you use a single common
      <user>.emf across all platforms then
      use the $platform variable
      to determine the platform and decide
      what translations to apply similar to
      keyboard.emf.

      Yahoo! Messenger - all new features - even more fun!
      http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

      modify your account settings manually.

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT