Re: [jans_fiction] Re: TA RAC (Yeomanry)

  • jan.niemczyk@tesco.net
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 7, 2007
      Looks great to me Louie, nice piece of work. We need the full 12 MBT regiments for II Corps rather than 11 and a armd delivery regiment.
      The RAC Training Regiment could perform this role. What do you think?

      What I'm going to do now is get out my yeomanry book and work out the seniority of the regiments so I can finish the factfile. That'll keep me busy for a while :-)

      Regards.
      Jan.

    • jan.niemczyk@tesco.net
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 7, 2007
        Louie,
        I've drawn up an updated OOB for the RAC, including regulars and yeomanry. I've added it to the fiction site and the Naval Fiction Board.

        What do you think?

        Jan.

        > From: "Louie" <DDEVO316@...>
        > Date: 2007/06/07 Thu PM 10:38:02 BST
        > To: jans_fiction@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [jans_fiction] Re: TA RAC (Yeomanry)
        >
        > Jan, each TA bde. of the 2nd Inf. Div. did have an Yeomanry Ard Recce Rgt.
        >
        > How is this for a loose outline, version 1.0..........
        >
        > The Royal Armoured Corp (Volunteers)
        >
        > Scotland
        > -The Fife & Forfar Yeomanry (Ard.)
        > -The Scottish Horse (Home Defence)
        > -The Ayrshire Yeomanry (Earl of Carrick's Own)(Ard. Recce)
        > -The Lothians & Border Horse (Ard.)
        > - The Qoueen's Own Glasgow & Lanarkshire Yeomanry (Home Defence)
        >
        > North West District
        > -The Duke of Lancaster's Own Yeomanry (Home Defence)
        > -40th/41st Royal Tank Regiment (Ard.)
        > -The Cheshire Yeomanry (Earl of Chester's) (Ard. Recce)
        >
        > North East District
        > -The Northumberland Hussars (Ard. Recce)
        > -The East Riding Yeomanry (Ard.)
        > -The Queen's Own Yorkshire Dragoons (Home Defence)
        > -The Yorkshire Hussars (Home Defence)
        >
        > Eastern District
        > -The Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry (Ard.)
        > -The Derbyshire Yeomanry (Ard. Recce)
        > -The Leicestershire Yeomanry (Prince Albert's Own)(Home Defence)
        > -The Northamptonshire Yeomanry (Home Defence)
        >
        > Western District
        > -The Shropshire Yeomanry (Ard. Recce)
        > -The Staffordshire Yeomanry (The Queen's Own Royal Regiment)(Ard.)
        > -The Queen's Own Worcestershire & Warwickshire Yeomanry (Home Defence)
        >
        > Wales
        > -The Glamorgan Yeomanry (Ard.)
        > -The Pembrokeshire(Castlemartin) Yeomanry (Ard. Recce)
        > -The Welsh Horse (Home Defence)
        >
        > South West
        > -The Royal Gloucestershire Hussars (Ard. Recce)
        > -The Royal Devon Yeomanry (Ard.)
        > -The Queen's Own Dorset Yeomanry (Ard. Delivery)
        > -The Somerset Yeomanry (Royal Tank Regiment)(Home Defence)
        > -The Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry(Ard.)
        >
        > South East
        > -The Berkshire (Hungerford) Yeomanry (Home Defence)
        > -The Queen's Own Kent Yeomanry (Ard.)
        >
        > London
        > -The Westminster Dragoons (2nd County of London Yeomanry) (Ard.)
        > -The 3rd/4th County of London Yeomanry (The Sharpshooters) (Ard. Recce)
        > -The Inns of Court & City Yeomanry (Home Defence)
        >
        > 11 Ard.
        > 8 Ard. Recce
        > 12 Home Defence
        > 1 Ard. Delivery
        >
        > Louie

      • Louie
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 7, 2007
          Great, but how about version2.0..........

          The Royal Armoured Corp (Volunteers)

          Scotland
          -The Fife & Forfar Yeomanry (Ard.)
          -The Scottish Horse (Home Defence)
          -The Ayrshire Yeomanry (Earl of Carrick's Own)(Ard.)
          -The Lothians & Border Horse (Ard.)
          -The Queen's Own Royal Glasgow Yeomanry (Ard. Recce)
          -The Lanarkshire Yeomanry (Home Defence )

          North West District
          -The Duke of Lancaster's Own Yeomanry (Home Defence)
          -40th/41st Royal Tank Regiment (The King's) (Ard.)
          -The Cheshire Yeomanry (Earl of Chester's) (Ard. Recce)

          North East District
          -The Northumberland Hussars (Ard. Recce)
          -The East Riding Yeomanry (Ard.)
          -The Queen's Own Yorkshire Dragoons (Home Defence)
          -The Yorkshire Hussars (Home Defence)

          Eastern District
          -The Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry (Ard.)
          -The Derbyshire Yeomanry (Ard. Recce)
          -The Leicestershire Yeomanry (Prince Albert's Own)(Home Defence)
          -The Northamptonshire Yeomanry (Ard.)
          -The Lincolnshire Yeomanry (Home Defence)*(I figured since we
          resurrected the Welsh Horse, why not the Lincolnshire Lancers !!!!)

          Western District
          -The Shropshire Yeomanry (Ard.)
          -The Staffordshire Yeomanry (The Queen's Own Royal Regiment)(Ard.)
          -The Queen's Own Worcestershire & Warwickshire Yeomanry (Home Defence)

          Wales
          -The Glamorgan Yeomanry (Ard.)
          -The Pembrokeshire(Castlemartin) Yeomanry (Ard. Recce)
          -The Welsh Horse (Home Defence)

          South West
          -The Royal Gloucestershire Hussars (Ard. Recce)
          -The Royal Devon Yeomanry (Home Defence)
          -The Queen's Own Dorset Yeomanry (Ard. Delivery for II Corp, IRL it
          was formed as an Ard Del Rgt. in 1997)
          -The Somerset Yeomanry (Royal Tank Regiment)(Ard.)
          -The Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry(3 sqd.'s as OPFOR at Warminster & 1 sqd.
          to 16th Abn. Bde. as per your notes)

          South East
          -The Berkshire (Hungerford) Yeomanry (Home Defence) (1 Sqd. for
          Windsor guard)
          -The Queen's Own Kent Yeomanry (Home Defence)

          London
          -The Westminster Dragoons (2nd County of London Yeomanry) (Ard.)
          -The 3rd/4th County of London Yeomanry (The Sharpshooters) (Ard. Recce)
          -The Inns of Court Regiment ( Officer Producing Unit)
          -The City of London Yeomanry (Rough Riders)(upon mobilization would
          take the HCMR under command) (Home Defence)

          Northern Ireland
          -The North Irish Horse ( 1 sqd Ard. Recce to BAOR & 1 Home Defence Sqd.)

          12 Ard.
          7 Ard. Recce
          12 Home Defence
          1 Ard. Delivery
          1 Officer Producing Unit
          1 OPFOR Rgt.
          2 Indep Ard. Recce Sqd.'s
          2 Home Defence Sqd.'s

          And the RAC Training Rgt.(5 RTR)becomes the Ard Del Rgt. for I Corp

          Louie
        • jan.niemczyk@tesco.net
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 8, 2007
            Very nice, Louie, I'm impressed.
            Out of interest where did the OPFOR idea come from?
            I'm happy to bring the Linconshire Yeomanry back, but I think that we don't really need an officer producing unit for a WW3 scenario. IMVHO it would be better to keep The Inns of Courts and City of London together as The Inns of Court & City Yeomanry in a home defence role, with HMCR under command.

            Keep up the good work, though.

            Regards.
            Jan.

> [...]
            > -The Queen's Own Kent Yeomanry (Home Defence)
            >
            > London
            > -The Westminster Dragoons (2nd County of London Yeomanry) (Ard.)
            > -The 3rd/4th County of London Yeomanry (The Sharpshooters) (Ard. Recce)
            > -The Inns of Court Regiment ( Officer Producing Unit)
            > -The City of London Yeomanry (Rough Riders)(upon mobilization would
            > take the HCMR under command) (Home Defence)
            >
            > Northern Ireland
            > -The North Irish Horse ( 1 sqd Ard. Recce to BAOR & 1 Home Defence Sqd.)
            >
            > 12 Ard.
            > 7 Ard. Recce
            > 12 Home Defence
            > 1 Ard. Delivery
            > 1 Officer Producing Unit
            > 1 OPFOR Rgt.
            > 2 Indep Ard. Recce Sqd.'s
            > 2 Home Defence Sqd.'s
            >
            > And the RAC Training Rgt.(5 RTR)becomes the Ard Del Rgt. for I Corp

          • Louie
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 8, 2007
              >Very nice, Louie, I'm impressed.
              Thanks Jan

              >Out of interest where did the OPFOR idea come from?
              I was trying to figure out how I could keep 1 sqd assigned to 16th
              Abn. Bde. as per your notes and it struck me that The Royal Wiltshire
              Yeomanry, as the senior Yeomanry regiment would naturally get the
              airborne role and since they would recruit in the Warminster area
              maybe they also got the honor of keeping everyone else on their toes
              by acting as the OPFOR for the Land Warfare Center.

              >IMVHO it would be better to keep The Inns of Courts and City of
              London together as The Inns of Court & City Yeomanry in a home defence
              role, with HMCR under command.
              Agreed

              > Keep up the good work, though.
              Thank You

[...]

              -The Inns of Court & City Yeomanry (upon mobilization would
              take the HCMR under command) (Home Defence)

              Northern Ireland
              -The North Irish Horse ( 1 sqd Ard. Recce to BAOR & 1 Home Defence Sqd.)

              12 Ard.
              7 Ard. Recce
              12 Home Defence
              1 Ard. Delivery
              1 OPFOR Rgt.
              2 Indep Ard. Recce Sqd.'s
              2 Home Defence Sqd.'s

              Now how many TA Inf. bn.'s, General Service & Home Service ?

              Louie
            • jan.niemczyk@tesco.net
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 9, 2007
                Ah, I see I've ballsed up explaining how 16th Air portable Brigade is organised.
                To explain properly while all other TA bdes are static, i.e there is no arms plot like the regulars, units rotate in and out of 16th Air portable Brigade. For example the TA Para battalions all take turns in the airborne role, while a group of TA infantry battalions, drawn from Home Defence units, cycle through the air portable role.
                Each Home Defence yeomanry regiment takes it in turn to man a squadron of Fox CVR(W) assigned to the brigade, so I really shouldn't have had the Royal Wiltshire in there, as I wanted them to be an MBT regiment.

                16th Air portable Bde is UK Land Command's strategic reserve, which means that it is only intended to operate within the UK, reinforcing other formations as necessary, which is why it is drawn from Home Defence units.
                It could, at a pinch, take part in 'Out of Area' operations, but only really in a low threat environment.

                I'm not really all that keen on a permanent OPFOR regiment, the usual thing is to cycle other regiments through the role. It is also something that the RAC Training Regiment could probably handle.
                I think that we can also get away with only one armoured delivery unit.

                I'm pretty happy with the RAC ORBAT as it stands now, so thanks for your help.

                I haven't worked out yet how many infantry battalions are needed, but that is something I plan on doing fairly soon.

                Regards and thanks again.
                Jan.

> [...]
                > -The Berkshire (Hungerford) Yeomanry (Home Defence) (1 Sqd. for
                > Windsor guard)
                > -The Queen's Own Kent Yeomanry (Home Defence)
                >
                > London
                > -The Westminster Dragoons (2nd County of London Yeomanry) (Ard.)
                > -The 3rd/4th County of London Yeomanry (The Sharpshooters) (Ard. Recce)
                > -The Inns of Court & City Yeomanry (upon mobilization would
                > take the HCMR under command) (Home Defence)
                >

                > Northern Ireland
                > -The North Irish Horse ( 1 sqd Ard. Recce to BAOR & 1 Home Defence Sqd.)
                >
                > 12 Ard.
                > 7 Ard. Recce
                > 12 Home Defence
                > 1 Ard. Delivery
                > 1 OPFOR Rgt.
                > 2 Indep Ard. Recce Sqd.'s
                > 2 Home Defence Sqd.'s
                >
                > Now how many TA Inf. bn.'s, General Service & Home Service ?

              • Louie
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 9, 2007
                  Ok, that clears up things a bit. Besides who am I to deny the senior
                  Yeomanry regiment their choice of roles !?!? :)

                  As for your last post on the Naval Fiction Board I was thinking of
                  having the remaining Yeomanry Regiments that had been badged as RA in
                  the 1920's remain as artillery. Perhaps when the TA was expanded and
                  all these Yeomanry regiments were resurrected the MOD asked if certain
                  ones (with RA history) would stay as part the RA and as a bone promise
                  them the SP role as part of II Corp. So I was thinking regiments such
                  as the QO Oxford Hussars & Royal Bucks Hussars for example would be
                  AS-90 regiments. What do you think Jan ?

                  As for the Infantry I was thinking of basing the HS bn.'s on the old
                  (1908) Bn.'s so the Black Watch would have the following:
                  3rd(V) Bn.-General Service
                  4th/5th (Angus & Dundee) Bn.-Home Service
                  6th (Perthshire) Bn.-Home Service
                  7th (Fifeshire) Bn.-Home Service

                  Louie
                • jan.niemczyk@tesco.net
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 9, 2007
                    That actually sounds like a good idea, Louie, an inspired thought. IIRC yeomanry regiments were badged as RHA; the horse gunners would always be happy to gain a few more regiments.

                    Your idea on the infantry regiments is pretty close to how I had planned it. Factoring in the expansion of the HSF to battalion size is something I need to think about though.
                    I'll let you know as soon as I work it out myself :-)

                    Regards.
                    Jan.