Hi everybody!

  • padi4spike
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 1, 2000
      Hi eveyone i'm new and i'd like to ask every one if they have read one of the many sequals to Pride & Predjudice that's called An unequal marrige.
    • british_liberty
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 3, 2000
        Hello everybody! I to am a total Jane Austen
        fanatic. If any of you have not seen it, there is a very
        good website that allows people to write sequels to
        J.A.'s books and then put them on the site. The site is
        www.pemberley.com
      • symphsation
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 10, 2000
          Hello I am new and was very pleased to find this
          club. I have read several Austen sequels because I
          enjoy following along with the further interaction of
          the characters.<br>I have read several by Joan Aiken
          and Julia Barrett. One of my favorites was Jane
          Fairfax. I have also read one called The Youngest Miss
          Ward, connecting with Mansfield Park. I do not however
          remember the author. Are there any others that I have
          missed that you could direct me to? Thanks
        • padi4spike
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 16, 2000
            hey! have u read "an unequal marriage"??
          • symphsation
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 25, 2000
              I think that I have read this one. after I posted
              that message I went onto the Pemberly site and I found
              that they have a site that lists all of the sequels
              written and gives reviews of all of them. Some of them
              focus on some of the minor characters from the original
              Austen works, like to Collins' and the Steel's.
            • lizjess86
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 28, 2000
                Hello fellow Austen fans. I just joined, so I
                thought I'd post. I really enjoy her work, but I have
                only read one sequel book. And that is The Youngest
                Miss Ward, by Joan Aiken. But, I am about to read Emma
                Watson. If any of you could help me, as to finding
                authors other than Joan Aiken who right sequels, it would
                be much appreciated.
              • terry1063
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 4, 2001
                  Hello!<br>I was on the Pemberley site looking for
                  sequels to my favorite Jane Austen book, Persuasion. I
                  found one called Virtues and Vices by Grania Beckford.
                  I wish I would have investigated further and read
                  the review. This book is not a sequel at all, instead
                  it's loosely based on Persuasion, most of the
                  characters have the same last name, but different first
                  names, eg: Anne Elliot becomes Angela Elliot. It is an
                  absolutely horrid book. It's basically soft core porn,
                  taking it's story line from Persuasion, then twisting it
                  into something vile and idiotic. Am so sorry I spent
                  my hard earned money on this piece of trash.
                • jane_austen1
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 1, 2001
                    Where is everyone? -- Jane
                  • slongprequest
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 3, 2001
                      Hi. I am here.<br>I don't know if I've missed
                      this topic of conversation, as I am a relatively new
                      member, but has anyone read the fragment of Sanditon? And
                      if you have, have you also read the continuations of
                      Sanditon by two different authors, one entitled Sanditon
                      and the other Charlotte? Both novels pick up where
                      Jane Austen left off, and though neither are near what
                      I imagine Jane Austen would have written, the
                      closest is the former, written by an anonymus author
                      gauging her effect on modern literature. (If the book was
                      well received, she would continue to write.) The
                      latter was written by Julia Barret, who also wrote a
                      sequel to Pride and Prejudice. She seems to be too
                      romantic for Jane Austen and not as satirical.<br>Also,
                      does anyone know where i can get a copy of The 5
                      Westons, or something (i have a terrible memory, so I
                      can't remember the exact title, but it's another work
                      that Jane Austen never finished, if that
                      helps).<br>And, lastly, has anyone read Briget Jones' Diary?
                      Besides the fact that its hero is Mr Darcy, it is
                      frighteningly similiar to Pride and Prejudice, the movie even
                      more so. Does anyone feel it was a molestation of Jane
                      Austen, or were you all happy with it?<br>Anyway, the
                      point of this message is to ask whether anyone has read
                      any of the above mentioned works, so I'll leave off
                      here.
                    • jane_austen1
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 5, 2001
                        I have been reading Sandition and I really enjoy
                        it. I have wanted to buy the continuations as well,
                        especially Charlotte, which I have read a little of it.
                        Julia Barrett has other book that I have seen too. I
                        haven't read Bridget Jones' Diary. Let me know if you
                        figure out the correct name of the 5 westons book, ok. I
                        thought Bridget Jones' Diary movie was good, except for
                        the swearing and obsene words. -- Jane
                      • terry1063
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 6, 2001
                          Hello<br>I thought the Bridget Jones's Diary
                          movie was rather toned down in comparison to the book.
                          Helen Fielding admits to being a great fan of Jane
                          Austen and makes no qualms that she lifts the plot line
                          directly from Pride and Prejudice. She also freely admits
                          that Bridget Jones' The Edge of Reason, the sequel to
                          Bridget Jones, has it's story line pilfered from
                          Persuasion. <br>Although I enjoyed these books for the pop
                          fluff that they are, neither one of them can hold a
                          candle to the original by Ms Austen!<br>Terry
                        • jane_austen1
                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 6, 2001
                            I quite agree. -- Jane