To all Austen lovers -

  • mcampi_2000
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 15, 2000
      There are two new sequels or continuations
      recently published. The first is called Letters from
      Pemberley: The First Year, by Jane Dawkins. The second is
      Roses and Thorns: A Poetic Pride and Prejudice, by
      Selene Goodman. You can read about Letters on amazon.com
      and see all the great reviews. You can also read
      about both titles at the website
      www.chickensouppress.com. Both books are excellent and I recommend them
      highly!
    • princess_jess17
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 28, 2000
        Hi everyone. My name is Jessica and I am a true
        Janeite. I have read many sequals to all of miss austens
        books.<br><br>My favourites are those written by Australian author
        Rebecca Ann Collins. They are the best that I have read.
        Has anyone else read them?<br><br>Jessica
      • padi4spike
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 1, 2000
          Hi eveyone i'm new and i'd like to ask every one if they have read one of the many sequals to Pride & Predjudice that's called An unequal marrige.
        • british_liberty
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 3, 2000
            Hello everybody! I to am a total Jane Austen
            fanatic. If any of you have not seen it, there is a very
            good website that allows people to write sequels to
            J.A.'s books and then put them on the site. The site is
            www.pemberley.com
          • symphsation
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 10, 2000
              Hello I am new and was very pleased to find this
              club. I have read several Austen sequels because I
              enjoy following along with the further interaction of
              the characters.<br>I have read several by Joan Aiken
              and Julia Barrett. One of my favorites was Jane
              Fairfax. I have also read one called The Youngest Miss
              Ward, connecting with Mansfield Park. I do not however
              remember the author. Are there any others that I have
              missed that you could direct me to? Thanks
            • padi4spike
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 16, 2000
                hey! have u read "an unequal marriage"??
              • symphsation
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 25, 2000
                  I think that I have read this one. after I posted
                  that message I went onto the Pemberly site and I found
                  that they have a site that lists all of the sequels
                  written and gives reviews of all of them. Some of them
                  focus on some of the minor characters from the original
                  Austen works, like to Collins' and the Steel's.
                • lizjess86
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 28, 2000
                    Hello fellow Austen fans. I just joined, so I
                    thought I'd post. I really enjoy her work, but I have
                    only read one sequel book. And that is The Youngest
                    Miss Ward, by Joan Aiken. But, I am about to read Emma
                    Watson. If any of you could help me, as to finding
                    authors other than Joan Aiken who right sequels, it would
                    be much appreciated.
                  • terry1063
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 4, 2001
                      Hello!<br>I was on the Pemberley site looking for
                      sequels to my favorite Jane Austen book, Persuasion. I
                      found one called Virtues and Vices by Grania Beckford.
                      I wish I would have investigated further and read
                      the review. This book is not a sequel at all, instead
                      it's loosely based on Persuasion, most of the
                      characters have the same last name, but different first
                      names, eg: Anne Elliot becomes Angela Elliot. It is an
                      absolutely horrid book. It's basically soft core porn,
                      taking it's story line from Persuasion, then twisting it
                      into something vile and idiotic. Am so sorry I spent
                      my hard earned money on this piece of trash.
                    • jane_austen1
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 1, 2001
                        Where is everyone? -- Jane
                      • slongprequest
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 3, 2001
                          Hi. I am here.<br>I don't know if I've missed
                          this topic of conversation, as I am a relatively new
                          member, but has anyone read the fragment of Sanditon? And
                          if you have, have you also read the continuations of
                          Sanditon by two different authors, one entitled Sanditon
                          and the other Charlotte? Both novels pick up where
                          Jane Austen left off, and though neither are near what
                          I imagine Jane Austen would have written, the
                          closest is the former, written by an anonymus author
                          gauging her effect on modern literature. (If the book was
                          well received, she would continue to write.) The
                          latter was written by Julia Barret, who also wrote a
                          sequel to Pride and Prejudice. She seems to be too
                          romantic for Jane Austen and not as satirical.<br>Also,
                          does anyone know where i can get a copy of The 5
                          Westons, or something (i have a terrible memory, so I
                          can't remember the exact title, but it's another work
                          that Jane Austen never finished, if that
                          helps).<br>And, lastly, has anyone read Briget Jones' Diary?
                          Besides the fact that its hero is Mr Darcy, it is
                          frighteningly similiar to Pride and Prejudice, the movie even
                          more so. Does anyone feel it was a molestation of Jane
                          Austen, or were you all happy with it?<br>Anyway, the
                          point of this message is to ask whether anyone has read
                          any of the above mentioned works, so I'll leave off
                          here.
                        • jane_austen1
                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 5, 2001
                            I have been reading Sandition and I really enjoy
                            it. I have wanted to buy the continuations as well,
                            especially Charlotte, which I have read a little of it.
                            Julia Barrett has other book that I have seen too. I
                            haven't read Bridget Jones' Diary. Let me know if you
                            figure out the correct name of the 5 westons book, ok. I
                            thought Bridget Jones' Diary movie was good, except for
                            the swearing and obsene words. -- Jane
                          • terry1063
                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 6, 2001
                              Hello<br>I thought the Bridget Jones's Diary
                              movie was rather toned down in comparison to the book.
                              Helen Fielding admits to being a great fan of Jane
                              Austen and makes no qualms that she lifts the plot line
                              directly from Pride and Prejudice. She also freely admits
                              that Bridget Jones' The Edge of Reason, the sequel to
                              Bridget Jones, has it's story line pilfered from
                              Persuasion. <br>Although I enjoyed these books for the pop
                              fluff that they are, neither one of them can hold a
                              candle to the original by Ms Austen!<br>Terry
                            • jane_austen1
                              Message 14 of 20 , Dec 6, 2001
                                I quite agree. -- Jane