Hi fellow Jane lovers.

  • filion3
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 16, 1999
      I have loved Jane Austen since I was in High
      School. I have the complete works and I have the video of
      Sense and Sensibility. I don't know about sequels but I
      think the stories are fabulous. Why do you think that
      they have stood the test of time? Fi. :-)
    • lisahls1l4a
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 18, 1999
        Hi back. Doesn't seem to be too many others here
        but there are other Yahoo "Austen" clubs I haven't
        checked out yet. To take a stab at your
        questions:<br><br>1) Sequels: I've seen three kinds. First of all
        there are two novels Austen left unfinished. The
        Watsons which is a fragment critics speculate was a
        "sketch" for Emma and Sandition which was interupted by
        her death. Both of these have completions by other
        authors. Sandition by "Another Lady" and Emma Watson by
        Joan Aiken. Second Julia Barrett has written some
        "sequels" to Pride and Prejudice (Presumption) and Sense
        and Sensibility (The Third Sister)giving us the
        romantic stories of the sisters left unmarried at the end
        of those books. Finally Stephanie Barron has written
        some charming mysteries with Jane Austen as the
        sleuth. Finally I suppose reams could be written about
        romance authors and novelists who imitate or are inspired
        by Austen<br><br>2) I can only say what I love about
        them. I fall in love with both the heroes and heroines
        of her novels. I enjoy Austen's dry wit, humor,
        subtelty, and lack of sentimentality or melodramatic
        touches and yet ability to touch the heart.
      • kerugma8
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 24, 1999
          Hello all, my name is Jill, I am new here- I have
          read 3 sequels as far as JA stories go, I have read A
          Visit to Highbury and Later Days at Highbury (sequels
          for Emma) and just the other day I finished
          Presumption- sequel to P&P- I enjoyed them- I guess this list
          is for those of us who can't let the stories end
          with Jane- we need more- even if some of the stories
          may not turn out how we imagined- But I am willing to
          take that risk- By the way- In lisahls1l4a's last
          note, I want to dito her comment in #2- she said
          perfectly what I feel about Jane Austen-<br><br>Thanks for
          this list and all who make it happen!<br><br>Jill
        • mcampi_2000
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 15, 2000
            There are two new sequels or continuations
            recently published. The first is called Letters from
            Pemberley: The First Year, by Jane Dawkins. The second is
            Roses and Thorns: A Poetic Pride and Prejudice, by
            Selene Goodman. You can read about Letters on amazon.com
            and see all the great reviews. You can also read
            about both titles at the website
            www.chickensouppress.com. Both books are excellent and I recommend them
            highly!
          • princess_jess17
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 28, 2000
              Hi everyone. My name is Jessica and I am a true
              Janeite. I have read many sequals to all of miss austens
              books.<br><br>My favourites are those written by Australian author
              Rebecca Ann Collins. They are the best that I have read.
              Has anyone else read them?<br><br>Jessica
            • padi4spike
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 1, 2000
                Hi eveyone i'm new and i'd like to ask every one if they have read one of the many sequals to Pride & Predjudice that's called An unequal marrige.
              • british_liberty
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 3, 2000
                  Hello everybody! I to am a total Jane Austen
                  fanatic. If any of you have not seen it, there is a very
                  good website that allows people to write sequels to
                  J.A.'s books and then put them on the site. The site is
                  www.pemberley.com
                • symphsation
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 10, 2000
                    Hello I am new and was very pleased to find this
                    club. I have read several Austen sequels because I
                    enjoy following along with the further interaction of
                    the characters.<br>I have read several by Joan Aiken
                    and Julia Barrett. One of my favorites was Jane
                    Fairfax. I have also read one called The Youngest Miss
                    Ward, connecting with Mansfield Park. I do not however
                    remember the author. Are there any others that I have
                    missed that you could direct me to? Thanks
                  • padi4spike
                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 16, 2000
                      hey! have u read "an unequal marriage"??
                    • symphsation
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 25, 2000
                        I think that I have read this one. after I posted
                        that message I went onto the Pemberly site and I found
                        that they have a site that lists all of the sequels
                        written and gives reviews of all of them. Some of them
                        focus on some of the minor characters from the original
                        Austen works, like to Collins' and the Steel's.
                      • lizjess86
                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 28, 2000
                          Hello fellow Austen fans. I just joined, so I
                          thought I'd post. I really enjoy her work, but I have
                          only read one sequel book. And that is The Youngest
                          Miss Ward, by Joan Aiken. But, I am about to read Emma
                          Watson. If any of you could help me, as to finding
                          authors other than Joan Aiken who right sequels, it would
                          be much appreciated.
                        • terry1063
                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 4, 2001
                            Hello!<br>I was on the Pemberley site looking for
                            sequels to my favorite Jane Austen book, Persuasion. I
                            found one called Virtues and Vices by Grania Beckford.
                            I wish I would have investigated further and read
                            the review. This book is not a sequel at all, instead
                            it's loosely based on Persuasion, most of the
                            characters have the same last name, but different first
                            names, eg: Anne Elliot becomes Angela Elliot. It is an
                            absolutely horrid book. It's basically soft core porn,
                            taking it's story line from Persuasion, then twisting it
                            into something vile and idiotic. Am so sorry I spent
                            my hard earned money on this piece of trash.
                          • jane_austen1
                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 1, 2001
                              Where is everyone? -- Jane
                            • slongprequest
                              Message 14 of 20 , Dec 3, 2001
                                Hi. I am here.<br>I don't know if I've missed
                                this topic of conversation, as I am a relatively new
                                member, but has anyone read the fragment of Sanditon? And
                                if you have, have you also read the continuations of
                                Sanditon by two different authors, one entitled Sanditon
                                and the other Charlotte? Both novels pick up where
                                Jane Austen left off, and though neither are near what
                                I imagine Jane Austen would have written, the
                                closest is the former, written by an anonymus author
                                gauging her effect on modern literature. (If the book was
                                well received, she would continue to write.) The
                                latter was written by Julia Barret, who also wrote a
                                sequel to Pride and Prejudice. She seems to be too
                                romantic for Jane Austen and not as satirical.<br>Also,
                                does anyone know where i can get a copy of The 5
                                Westons, or something (i have a terrible memory, so I
                                can't remember the exact title, but it's another work
                                that Jane Austen never finished, if that
                                helps).<br>And, lastly, has anyone read Briget Jones' Diary?
                                Besides the fact that its hero is Mr Darcy, it is
                                frighteningly similiar to Pride and Prejudice, the movie even
                                more so. Does anyone feel it was a molestation of Jane
                                Austen, or were you all happy with it?<br>Anyway, the
                                point of this message is to ask whether anyone has read
                                any of the above mentioned works, so I'll leave off
                                here.
                              • jane_austen1
                                Message 15 of 20 , Dec 5, 2001
                                  I have been reading Sandition and I really enjoy
                                  it. I have wanted to buy the continuations as well,
                                  especially Charlotte, which I have read a little of it.
                                  Julia Barrett has other book that I have seen too. I
                                  haven't read Bridget Jones' Diary. Let me know if you
                                  figure out the correct name of the 5 westons book, ok. I
                                  thought Bridget Jones' Diary movie was good, except for
                                  the swearing and obsene words. -- Jane
                                • terry1063
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Dec 6, 2001
                                    Hello<br>I thought the Bridget Jones's Diary
                                    movie was rather toned down in comparison to the book.
                                    Helen Fielding admits to being a great fan of Jane
                                    Austen and makes no qualms that she lifts the plot line
                                    directly from Pride and Prejudice. She also freely admits
                                    that Bridget Jones' The Edge of Reason, the sequel to
                                    Bridget Jones, has it's story line pilfered from
                                    Persuasion. <br>Although I enjoyed these books for the pop
                                    fluff that they are, neither one of them can hold a
                                    candle to the original by Ms Austen!<br>Terry
                                  • jane_austen1
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Dec 6, 2001
                                      I quite agree. -- Jane