Jane Austen Sequels

  • Xandra_1798
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 6, 1999
      Welcome, This is the Yahoo! Message Board for Jane Austen Sequels community.
    • Xandra_1798
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 6, 1999
      • bzsg
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 24, 1999
        • filion3
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 16, 1999
            I have loved Jane Austen since I was in High
            School. I have the complete works and I have the video of
            Sense and Sensibility. I don't know about sequels but I
            think the stories are fabulous. Why do you think that
            they have stood the test of time? Fi. :-)
          • lisahls1l4a
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 18, 1999
              Hi back. Doesn't seem to be too many others here
              but there are other Yahoo "Austen" clubs I haven't
              checked out yet. To take a stab at your
              questions:<br><br>1) Sequels: I've seen three kinds. First of all
              there are two novels Austen left unfinished. The
              Watsons which is a fragment critics speculate was a
              "sketch" for Emma and Sandition which was interupted by
              her death. Both of these have completions by other
              authors. Sandition by "Another Lady" and Emma Watson by
              Joan Aiken. Second Julia Barrett has written some
              "sequels" to Pride and Prejudice (Presumption) and Sense
              and Sensibility (The Third Sister)giving us the
              romantic stories of the sisters left unmarried at the end
              of those books. Finally Stephanie Barron has written
              some charming mysteries with Jane Austen as the
              sleuth. Finally I suppose reams could be written about
              romance authors and novelists who imitate or are inspired
              by Austen<br><br>2) I can only say what I love about
              them. I fall in love with both the heroes and heroines
              of her novels. I enjoy Austen's dry wit, humor,
              subtelty, and lack of sentimentality or melodramatic
              touches and yet ability to touch the heart.
            • kerugma8
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 24, 1999
                Hello all, my name is Jill, I am new here- I have
                read 3 sequels as far as JA stories go, I have read A
                Visit to Highbury and Later Days at Highbury (sequels
                for Emma) and just the other day I finished
                Presumption- sequel to P&P- I enjoyed them- I guess this list
                is for those of us who can't let the stories end
                with Jane- we need more- even if some of the stories
                may not turn out how we imagined- But I am willing to
                take that risk- By the way- In lisahls1l4a's last
                note, I want to dito her comment in #2- she said
                perfectly what I feel about Jane Austen-<br><br>Thanks for
                this list and all who make it happen!<br><br>Jill
              • mcampi_2000
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 15, 2000
                  There are two new sequels or continuations
                  recently published. The first is called Letters from
                  Pemberley: The First Year, by Jane Dawkins. The second is
                  Roses and Thorns: A Poetic Pride and Prejudice, by
                  Selene Goodman. You can read about Letters on amazon.com
                  and see all the great reviews. You can also read
                  about both titles at the website
                  www.chickensouppress.com. Both books are excellent and I recommend them
                  highly!
                • princess_jess17
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 28 7:59 PM
                    Hi everyone. My name is Jessica and I am a true
                    Janeite. I have read many sequals to all of miss austens
                    books.<br><br>My favourites are those written by Australian author
                    Rebecca Ann Collins. They are the best that I have read.
                    Has anyone else read them?<br><br>Jessica
                  • padi4spike
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 1, 2000
                      Hi eveyone i'm new and i'd like to ask every one if they have read one of the many sequals to Pride & Predjudice that's called An unequal marrige.
                    • british_liberty
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 3, 2000
                        Hello everybody! I to am a total Jane Austen
                        fanatic. If any of you have not seen it, there is a very
                        good website that allows people to write sequels to
                        J.A.'s books and then put them on the site. The site is
                        www.pemberley.com
                      • symphsation
                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 10, 2000
                          Hello I am new and was very pleased to find this
                          club. I have read several Austen sequels because I
                          enjoy following along with the further interaction of
                          the characters.<br>I have read several by Joan Aiken
                          and Julia Barrett. One of my favorites was Jane
                          Fairfax. I have also read one called The Youngest Miss
                          Ward, connecting with Mansfield Park. I do not however
                          remember the author. Are there any others that I have
                          missed that you could direct me to? Thanks
                        • padi4spike
                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 16, 2000
                            hey! have u read "an unequal marriage"??
                          • symphsation
                            Message 13 of 20 , Sep 25, 2000
                              I think that I have read this one. after I posted
                              that message I went onto the Pemberly site and I found
                              that they have a site that lists all of the sequels
                              written and gives reviews of all of them. Some of them
                              focus on some of the minor characters from the original
                              Austen works, like to Collins' and the Steel's.
                            • lizjess86
                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 28, 2000
                                Hello fellow Austen fans. I just joined, so I
                                thought I'd post. I really enjoy her work, but I have
                                only read one sequel book. And that is The Youngest
                                Miss Ward, by Joan Aiken. But, I am about to read Emma
                                Watson. If any of you could help me, as to finding
                                authors other than Joan Aiken who right sequels, it would
                                be much appreciated.
                              • terry1063
                                Message 15 of 20 , Oct 4, 2001
                                  Hello!<br>I was on the Pemberley site looking for
                                  sequels to my favorite Jane Austen book, Persuasion. I
                                  found one called Virtues and Vices by Grania Beckford.
                                  I wish I would have investigated further and read
                                  the review. This book is not a sequel at all, instead
                                  it's loosely based on Persuasion, most of the
                                  characters have the same last name, but different first
                                  names, eg: Anne Elliot becomes Angela Elliot. It is an
                                  absolutely horrid book. It's basically soft core porn,
                                  taking it's story line from Persuasion, then twisting it
                                  into something vile and idiotic. Am so sorry I spent
                                  my hard earned money on this piece of trash.
                                • jane_austen1
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Dec 1, 2001
                                    Where is everyone? -- Jane
                                  • slongprequest
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Dec 3, 2001
                                      Hi. I am here.<br>I don't know if I've missed
                                      this topic of conversation, as I am a relatively new
                                      member, but has anyone read the fragment of Sanditon? And
                                      if you have, have you also read the continuations of
                                      Sanditon by two different authors, one entitled Sanditon
                                      and the other Charlotte? Both novels pick up where
                                      Jane Austen left off, and though neither are near what
                                      I imagine Jane Austen would have written, the
                                      closest is the former, written by an anonymus author
                                      gauging her effect on modern literature. (If the book was
                                      well received, she would continue to write.) The
                                      latter was written by Julia Barret, who also wrote a
                                      sequel to Pride and Prejudice. She seems to be too
                                      romantic for Jane Austen and not as satirical.<br>Also,
                                      does anyone know where i can get a copy of The 5
                                      Westons, or something (i have a terrible memory, so I
                                      can't remember the exact title, but it's another work
                                      that Jane Austen never finished, if that
                                      helps).<br>And, lastly, has anyone read Briget Jones' Diary?
                                      Besides the fact that its hero is Mr Darcy, it is
                                      frighteningly similiar to Pride and Prejudice, the movie even
                                      more so. Does anyone feel it was a molestation of Jane
                                      Austen, or were you all happy with it?<br>Anyway, the
                                      point of this message is to ask whether anyone has read
                                      any of the above mentioned works, so I'll leave off
                                      here.
                                    • jane_austen1
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Dec 5, 2001
                                        I have been reading Sandition and I really enjoy
                                        it. I have wanted to buy the continuations as well,
                                        especially Charlotte, which I have read a little of it.
                                        Julia Barrett has other book that I have seen too. I
                                        haven't read Bridget Jones' Diary. Let me know if you
                                        figure out the correct name of the 5 westons book, ok. I
                                        thought Bridget Jones' Diary movie was good, except for
                                        the swearing and obsene words. -- Jane
                                      • terry1063
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Dec 6, 2001
                                          Hello<br>I thought the Bridget Jones's Diary
                                          movie was rather toned down in comparison to the book.
                                          Helen Fielding admits to being a great fan of Jane
                                          Austen and makes no qualms that she lifts the plot line
                                          directly from Pride and Prejudice. She also freely admits
                                          that Bridget Jones' The Edge of Reason, the sequel to
                                          Bridget Jones, has it's story line pilfered from
                                          Persuasion. <br>Although I enjoyed these books for the pop
                                          fluff that they are, neither one of them can hold a
                                          candle to the original by Ms Austen!<br>Terry
                                        • jane_austen1
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Dec 6, 2001
                                            I quite agree. -- Jane