The absolutely worst sequel!

  • terry1063
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 4, 2001
      Hello!<br>I was on the Pemberley site looking for
      sequels to my favorite Jane Austen book, Persuasion. I
      found one called Virtues and Vices by Grania Beckford.
      I wish I would have investigated further and read
      the review. This book is not a sequel at all, instead
      it's loosely based on Persuasion, most of the
      characters have the same last name, but different first
      names, eg: Anne Elliot becomes Angela Elliot. It is an
      absolutely horrid book. It's basically soft core porn,
      taking it's story line from Persuasion, then twisting it
      into something vile and idiotic. Am so sorry I spent
      my hard earned money on this piece of trash.
    • jane_austen1
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 1, 2001
        Where is everyone? -- Jane
      • slongprequest
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 3, 2001
          Hi. I am here.<br>I don't know if I've missed
          this topic of conversation, as I am a relatively new
          member, but has anyone read the fragment of Sanditon? And
          if you have, have you also read the continuations of
          Sanditon by two different authors, one entitled Sanditon
          and the other Charlotte? Both novels pick up where
          Jane Austen left off, and though neither are near what
          I imagine Jane Austen would have written, the
          closest is the former, written by an anonymus author
          gauging her effect on modern literature. (If the book was
          well received, she would continue to write.) The
          latter was written by Julia Barret, who also wrote a
          sequel to Pride and Prejudice. She seems to be too
          romantic for Jane Austen and not as satirical.<br>Also,
          does anyone know where i can get a copy of The 5
          Westons, or something (i have a terrible memory, so I
          can't remember the exact title, but it's another work
          that Jane Austen never finished, if that
          helps).<br>And, lastly, has anyone read Briget Jones' Diary?
          Besides the fact that its hero is Mr Darcy, it is
          frighteningly similiar to Pride and Prejudice, the movie even
          more so. Does anyone feel it was a molestation of Jane
          Austen, or were you all happy with it?<br>Anyway, the
          point of this message is to ask whether anyone has read
          any of the above mentioned works, so I'll leave off
          here.
        • jane_austen1
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 5, 2001
            I have been reading Sandition and I really enjoy
            it. I have wanted to buy the continuations as well,
            especially Charlotte, which I have read a little of it.
            Julia Barrett has other book that I have seen too. I
            haven't read Bridget Jones' Diary. Let me know if you
            figure out the correct name of the 5 westons book, ok. I
            thought Bridget Jones' Diary movie was good, except for
            the swearing and obsene words. -- Jane
          • terry1063
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 6, 2001
              Hello<br>I thought the Bridget Jones's Diary
              movie was rather toned down in comparison to the book.
              Helen Fielding admits to being a great fan of Jane
              Austen and makes no qualms that she lifts the plot line
              directly from Pride and Prejudice. She also freely admits
              that Bridget Jones' The Edge of Reason, the sequel to
              Bridget Jones, has it's story line pilfered from
              Persuasion. <br>Although I enjoyed these books for the pop
              fluff that they are, neither one of them can hold a
              candle to the original by Ms Austen!<br>Terry
            • jane_austen1
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 6, 2001
                I quite agree. -- Jane