Hello

  • lizjess86
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 28, 2000
      Hello fellow Austen fans. I just joined, so I
      thought I'd post. I really enjoy her work, but I have
      only read one sequel book. And that is The Youngest
      Miss Ward, by Joan Aiken. But, I am about to read Emma
      Watson. If any of you could help me, as to finding
      authors other than Joan Aiken who right sequels, it would
      be much appreciated.
    • terry1063
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 4, 2001
        Hello!<br>I was on the Pemberley site looking for
        sequels to my favorite Jane Austen book, Persuasion. I
        found one called Virtues and Vices by Grania Beckford.
        I wish I would have investigated further and read
        the review. This book is not a sequel at all, instead
        it's loosely based on Persuasion, most of the
        characters have the same last name, but different first
        names, eg: Anne Elliot becomes Angela Elliot. It is an
        absolutely horrid book. It's basically soft core porn,
        taking it's story line from Persuasion, then twisting it
        into something vile and idiotic. Am so sorry I spent
        my hard earned money on this piece of trash.
      • jane_austen1
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 1, 2001
          Where is everyone? -- Jane
        • slongprequest
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 3, 2001
            Hi. I am here.<br>I don't know if I've missed
            this topic of conversation, as I am a relatively new
            member, but has anyone read the fragment of Sanditon? And
            if you have, have you also read the continuations of
            Sanditon by two different authors, one entitled Sanditon
            and the other Charlotte? Both novels pick up where
            Jane Austen left off, and though neither are near what
            I imagine Jane Austen would have written, the
            closest is the former, written by an anonymus author
            gauging her effect on modern literature. (If the book was
            well received, she would continue to write.) The
            latter was written by Julia Barret, who also wrote a
            sequel to Pride and Prejudice. She seems to be too
            romantic for Jane Austen and not as satirical.<br>Also,
            does anyone know where i can get a copy of The 5
            Westons, or something (i have a terrible memory, so I
            can't remember the exact title, but it's another work
            that Jane Austen never finished, if that
            helps).<br>And, lastly, has anyone read Briget Jones' Diary?
            Besides the fact that its hero is Mr Darcy, it is
            frighteningly similiar to Pride and Prejudice, the movie even
            more so. Does anyone feel it was a molestation of Jane
            Austen, or were you all happy with it?<br>Anyway, the
            point of this message is to ask whether anyone has read
            any of the above mentioned works, so I'll leave off
            here.
          • jane_austen1
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 5, 2001
              I have been reading Sandition and I really enjoy
              it. I have wanted to buy the continuations as well,
              especially Charlotte, which I have read a little of it.
              Julia Barrett has other book that I have seen too. I
              haven't read Bridget Jones' Diary. Let me know if you
              figure out the correct name of the 5 westons book, ok. I
              thought Bridget Jones' Diary movie was good, except for
              the swearing and obsene words. -- Jane
            • terry1063
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 6, 2001
                Hello<br>I thought the Bridget Jones's Diary
                movie was rather toned down in comparison to the book.
                Helen Fielding admits to being a great fan of Jane
                Austen and makes no qualms that she lifts the plot line
                directly from Pride and Prejudice. She also freely admits
                that Bridget Jones' The Edge of Reason, the sequel to
                Bridget Jones, has it's story line pilfered from
                Persuasion. <br>Although I enjoyed these books for the pop
                fluff that they are, neither one of them can hold a
                candle to the original by Ms Austen!<br>Terry
              • jane_austen1
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 6, 2001
                  I quite agree. -- Jane