sequels

  • british_liberty
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 3, 2000
      Hello everybody! I to am a total Jane Austen
      fanatic. If any of you have not seen it, there is a very
      good website that allows people to write sequels to
      J.A.'s books and then put them on the site. The site is
      www.pemberley.com
    • symphsation
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 10, 2000
        Hello I am new and was very pleased to find this
        club. I have read several Austen sequels because I
        enjoy following along with the further interaction of
        the characters.<br>I have read several by Joan Aiken
        and Julia Barrett. One of my favorites was Jane
        Fairfax. I have also read one called The Youngest Miss
        Ward, connecting with Mansfield Park. I do not however
        remember the author. Are there any others that I have
        missed that you could direct me to? Thanks
      • padi4spike
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 16, 2000
          hey! have u read "an unequal marriage"??
        • symphsation
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 25, 2000
            I think that I have read this one. after I posted
            that message I went onto the Pemberly site and I found
            that they have a site that lists all of the sequels
            written and gives reviews of all of them. Some of them
            focus on some of the minor characters from the original
            Austen works, like to Collins' and the Steel's.
          • lizjess86
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 28, 2000
              Hello fellow Austen fans. I just joined, so I
              thought I'd post. I really enjoy her work, but I have
              only read one sequel book. And that is The Youngest
              Miss Ward, by Joan Aiken. But, I am about to read Emma
              Watson. If any of you could help me, as to finding
              authors other than Joan Aiken who right sequels, it would
              be much appreciated.
            • terry1063
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 4, 2001
                Hello!<br>I was on the Pemberley site looking for
                sequels to my favorite Jane Austen book, Persuasion. I
                found one called Virtues and Vices by Grania Beckford.
                I wish I would have investigated further and read
                the review. This book is not a sequel at all, instead
                it's loosely based on Persuasion, most of the
                characters have the same last name, but different first
                names, eg: Anne Elliot becomes Angela Elliot. It is an
                absolutely horrid book. It's basically soft core porn,
                taking it's story line from Persuasion, then twisting it
                into something vile and idiotic. Am so sorry I spent
                my hard earned money on this piece of trash.
              • jane_austen1
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 1, 2001
                  Where is everyone? -- Jane
                • slongprequest
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 3, 2001
                    Hi. I am here.<br>I don't know if I've missed
                    this topic of conversation, as I am a relatively new
                    member, but has anyone read the fragment of Sanditon? And
                    if you have, have you also read the continuations of
                    Sanditon by two different authors, one entitled Sanditon
                    and the other Charlotte? Both novels pick up where
                    Jane Austen left off, and though neither are near what
                    I imagine Jane Austen would have written, the
                    closest is the former, written by an anonymus author
                    gauging her effect on modern literature. (If the book was
                    well received, she would continue to write.) The
                    latter was written by Julia Barret, who also wrote a
                    sequel to Pride and Prejudice. She seems to be too
                    romantic for Jane Austen and not as satirical.<br>Also,
                    does anyone know where i can get a copy of The 5
                    Westons, or something (i have a terrible memory, so I
                    can't remember the exact title, but it's another work
                    that Jane Austen never finished, if that
                    helps).<br>And, lastly, has anyone read Briget Jones' Diary?
                    Besides the fact that its hero is Mr Darcy, it is
                    frighteningly similiar to Pride and Prejudice, the movie even
                    more so. Does anyone feel it was a molestation of Jane
                    Austen, or were you all happy with it?<br>Anyway, the
                    point of this message is to ask whether anyone has read
                    any of the above mentioned works, so I'll leave off
                    here.
                  • jane_austen1
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 5, 2001
                      I have been reading Sandition and I really enjoy
                      it. I have wanted to buy the continuations as well,
                      especially Charlotte, which I have read a little of it.
                      Julia Barrett has other book that I have seen too. I
                      haven't read Bridget Jones' Diary. Let me know if you
                      figure out the correct name of the 5 westons book, ok. I
                      thought Bridget Jones' Diary movie was good, except for
                      the swearing and obsene words. -- Jane
                    • terry1063
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 6, 2001
                        Hello<br>I thought the Bridget Jones's Diary
                        movie was rather toned down in comparison to the book.
                        Helen Fielding admits to being a great fan of Jane
                        Austen and makes no qualms that she lifts the plot line
                        directly from Pride and Prejudice. She also freely admits
                        that Bridget Jones' The Edge of Reason, the sequel to
                        Bridget Jones, has it's story line pilfered from
                        Persuasion. <br>Although I enjoyed these books for the pop
                        fluff that they are, neither one of them can hold a
                        candle to the original by Ms Austen!<br>Terry
                      • jane_austen1
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 6, 2001
                          I quite agree. -- Jane