[VOY] Jammer's Review: "Homestead"

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6, 2001
      Warning: This review contains significant spoilers for Voyager's
      "Homestead." If you haven't seen the episode yet, beware.

      In brief: Not groundbreaking, but nice.

      Plot description: Neelix finds he must make hard choices when he becomes
      involved in the struggle of Talaxian refugees whose home in an asteroid
      belt is threatened by alien miners.

      Star Trek: Voyager -- "Homestead"

      Airdate: 5/9/2001 (USA)
      Written by Raf Green
      Directed by LeVar Burton

      "I've never seen First Contact Day celebrated quite like this. When I was
      your age, all it meant was a day off from school." -- Janeway to Naomi

      Neelix is a supporting character for whom the writers have never found an
      adequate purpose. For seven seasons he has floated here and there with a
      myriad of alleged duties but no real direction or strong motivations.
      Ethan Phillips has essentially been assigned the role of "miscellaneous
      character." So it's fitting, I guess, that the episode that bids Neelix
      adieu is one that makes the effort to show him as a Voyager crew member
      facing a crisis of purpose. The fact that there's a scene where Naomi
      Wildman tells Neelix she's too old to be tucked into bed only reinforces
      the issue.

      The prospect of uselessness is a frightening thing, something demonstrated
      several years ago in a previous Neelix story, "Fair Trade." It's trite but
      true that most of us need to feel needed. Many who ponder the value of
      their lives probably hope that they have made or will make a difference to
      others -- the greater the better.

      "Homestead" takes that notion to write the final chapter for Neelix, one
      that is not hugely original or groundbreaking, but is pleasant and sincere
      nonetheless. The plot is more or less routine, but the characters are
      here, and the writers and actors do well for making us care about Neelix's
      struggles and choices.

      As another example in a long history of spatial geography tricks with
      little regard for logic, the Voyager crew happens upon a colony of
      Talaxian refugees living inside an asteroid in an asteroid belt. How did
      they get here from their homeworld, roughly 40,000 light-years across the
      Delta Quadrant, in apparently only a decade or two? I don't know, and
      asking such a question is simply a hollow, obligatory gesture at this
      point. Perhaps they were as lucky as Voyager has been in finding
      shortcuts. Luckier still that Voyager happened upon them.

      Neelix finds that being around his people rekindles feelings of home. One
      could argue that over the years Neelix would've come to think of Voyager
      as his home, but perhaps it's not that simple. Maybe he sees himself more
      as a traveler with a still-unknown destination. With the ostensive
      destination being Earth -- a planet he's never seen -- his own people can
      certainly be a strong reminder of his previous home.

      The overriding plot is a relatively hoary exercise in which one group of
      people are threatened by another, more unreasonable group. In this case
      the asteroid belt is going to be mined by the aliens who own it. They
      don't intend to let something silly like a Talaxian homestead stand in the
      way of profits and efficiency schedules. The Talaxian asteroid is the
      proverbial house that needs to be razed in order for the proverbial new
      highway to go through -- although not really, since it stands to reason
      that the miners could simply move on and skip this one measly asteroid.
      Honestly, the miners might as well be wearing horns and carrying
      pitchforks; they growl and intimidate, even going so far as to threaten a
      little boy. Even their makeup design is sinister. Subtlety is not a virtue
      to be found here.

      What works is the gradual way Neelix realizes that he must help the
      Talaxians protect their home. These Talaxians are primarily pacifists, but
      Neelix argues that their home is something worth taking a stand for, and
      tries to convince the passive leader, Oxilon (Rob Labelle), that running
      to find a new home isn't plausible forever; they've already been pushed
      off at least one world entirely.

      Neelix's choices are in no small part affected by his emerging feelings
      for a widow named Dexa (Julianne Christie) and her young son, Brax (Ian
      Meltzer). Their scenes are handled with a quiet sincerity that works. But
      what I found more interesting were some of Neelix's interactions with the
      Voyager crew in the midst of the unfolding dilemma. There's a scene where
      Neelix tells Brax that his duties aren't of huge importance (and I'm
      inclined to agree based on evidence the series has provided), but Chakotay
      and Kim come to the rescue and explain Neelix's various titles and cite
      him as a valuable crew member.

      Better still are the Tuvok/Neelix scenes. Tuvok/Neelix sequences have
      often been utter failures; even this year we had a stupid roommate-quarrel
      plot in "Prophecy," while other relatively recent episodes like "Riddles"
      have shown Tuvok begrudging every possible warm feeling about Neelix that
      might rear its head in the depths of his Vulcan heart. But here we have
      what should've happened a long time ago -- a vocal acknowledgement from
      Tuvok about Neelix's strengths and resourcefulness as a potential leader,
      even though they might exist alongside other annoying qualities. It's
      perfectly worded from Tuvok, and I can't tell you how refreshing it is to
      see him be believably civil toward Neelix instead of needlessly cold as
      forced upon him by a script. Similarly, it's also nice to see Neelix
      acting like a real person instead of a comic annoyance who, for example,
      trashes Tuvok's quarters while in the throes of Klingon passion.

      There's a sequence where Neelix uses his cargo ship to help install shield
      generators to protect the Talaxian asteroid from the alien miners. This is
      serviceable action storytelling, though I think the way the episode
      invokes the Prime Directive is erroneous: If a warp-capable group of
      people asks for help in defending themselves, I don't see how that's a
      Prime Directive issue saying Janeway can't be involved. Yes, she may be
      taking sides in an interstellar conflict, but that happens every day.

      Ultimately, Neelix decides to stay behind with the Talaxians and start a
      new home when Janeway submits that perhaps this opportunity for him will
      also allow him to remain as an official Delta Quadrant-based ambassador
      for Starfleet. This is neat and tidy, perhaps, but it's certainly
      reasonable and allows a good send-off.

      "Homestead" is not a great or inspired episode of Voyager, but it is a
      dignified and heartfelt one. I must admit: By the end, when Tuvok's
      goodbye consisted of a restrained, Tuvokian concession to dance with the
      heel of one foot, I was touched. The scene keeps dialog to a minimum and
      relies on nods and glances, providing a great example of less-is-more
      mentality. It's one moment that almost makes up for years of redundant
      banter. If dignity has been a lost virtue for Neelix as the writers have
      previously written him, they managed to find it here.

      In brief: Doc engages in a serious role-playing game.