[ANDR] Jammer's Review: "The Honey Offering"

    Message 1 of 1 , May 11, 2001
      Warning: This review contains significant spoilers for Andromeda's "The
      Honey Offering." If you haven't seen the episode yet, beware.

      In brief: Not deep, but decently executed and nicely paced.

      Plot description: Dylan agrees to deliver a Nietzschean woman to the
      husband-to-be of her arranged marriage, but learns that she is actually an
      assassin on a mission to start a war.

      -----
      Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda: "The Honey Offering"

      Airdate: 4/23/2001 (USA week-of)
      Written by Matt Kiene & Joe Reinkemeyer
      Directed by Brad Turner

      "I can't believe I'm gonna die at the hands of converging red blips." --
      Harper
      -----

      I like Nietzscheans. They're smart, smug, and ruthless, and they say
      exactly what's on their minds. In other words, they make for edgy,
      sardonically funny characters.

      In "The Honey Offering" we have a Nietzschean woman, named Elssbett
      (Kimberly Huie), taking transport aboard the Andromeda so she can be
      delivered as a symbol of peace to her husband-to-be as part of a
      high-profile arranged marriage. (Comparisons with TOS's "Elaan of Troyius"
      are inevitable.) This is, of course, an ages-old premise, but I found the
      episode entertaining on its bottom line. It's refreshing to get an
      Andromeda offering that's fun and well executed instead of riddled with
      the plot and pacing problems we've seen too much of lately.

      There's also some reasonably engaging political intrigue. The marriage is
      between two people from two rival Nietzschean prides. Elssbett is the
      First Daughter of the Sabra pride; her husband-to-be is the Arch-Duke of
      the Jaguar Pride. The hope is that the marriage will bridge a gap between
      the two sides in an upcoming peace effort, making them strong enough
      together to rival a third sect, the dreaded Drago-Kazov Pride. The
      Continuity Patrol will note that Tyr likes this idea; the Drago-Kazov are
      his own sworn enemies (see "Music of a Distant Drum"). This could also be
      good for Dylan; Sabra and Jaguar might potentially warm to the idea of
      joining the Commonwealth -- although, nah, probably not.

      "The Honey Offering" starts off as a cliche (arrogant princess struts
      around and insults common folk) before turning into an action show, where
      the action actually makes sense as a purpose of the story instead of
      coming from and going nowhere (like Andromeda action has often had a
      tendency to do this season).

      Plus, we have a lot of Nietzscheans and all the madness that surrounds
      them. These guys are clearly intelligent. But they also transparently
      reveal their Achilles heel, which is that they are so determined to fight
      for their own righteous philosophies -- something they tend to define
      awfully narrowly -- that they end up fighting so many battles. Even among
      themselves there are so many opposing clans. The Nietzscheans, we suspect,
      are so busy fighting each other that they get little accomplished. If they
      pulled together and had common goals they'd probably be ruling the galaxy.

      Case in point: Elssbett is not what she seems to be; she's actually a
      highly skilled assassin whose assignment is to wipe out the royal Jaguar
      family she's supposed to be marrying into. That, and set off a neutron
      bomb that will kill thousands, including herself. Even under the guise of
      a peace offering, Nietzscheans will stab their enemies in the back. It's
      devious, but such deviousness isn't based on evil tendencies but instead
      on calculated, detached pragmatism: If a war is on its way anyway, a
      preemptive strike will ultimately shorten the conflict and lead to fewer
      deaths.

      What's maybe hard to believe is that Dylan wouldn't suspect such treachery
      from the outset. Did he learn nothing from previous Nietzschean run-ins
      like the Gaheris Rhade incident ("Under the Night") and the Tyr Anasazi
      incident ("Double Helix")? Then again, given Dylan's blind idealism, maybe
      he *wouldn't* be so suspicious. But wouldn't Tyr? Maybe not, since Tyr is
      too busy being horny over Elssbett, albeit in his usual Nietzschean
      plotting-for-the-future way. Nor is Harper ready to notice potential
      deceit; he doesn't even care that Elssbett is an arrogant beeyatch who
      thinks about as highly of him as she would an amoeba. After all, "She's
      hot!"

      The show shifts primarily to Dylan and Elssbett after the Andromeda is
      confronted by a Drago-Kazov fleet that wants Elssbett turned over to them.
      They are led by expert military tactician Cuchulain (Adrian Hughes). Dylan
      and Elssbett flee in the Maru while Beka stages a trick that makes it look
      like Elssbett has seized control of the Andromeda and is making a run for
      it. Cuchulain falls for it ... or maybe not.

      One thing that has sunk several Andromeda shows is the mediocre-to-abysmal
      guest acting. As Andromeda guest actors go, Kimberly Huie and even Adrian
      Hughes are a cut above average, which is to say reasonable. It makes all
      the difference in the world. Because Dylan and Elssbett have so many
      dialog scenes together, it's important that Sorbo and Huie do the dialog
      justice. Fortunately they do. Elssbett is believable as a cold personality
      with some untapped humanity lurking underneath.

      She's in the unenviable position of having a role she was forced into at
      childhood. She didn't have the chance to be the person she might've chosen
      to be. She's a product of a pragmatic society that is about survival first
      and foremost. Alas, survival comes with the price of living a life that
      contains few, if any, simple pleasures. Elssbett hasn't had the time nor
      the means to stop and live life, or make love. All of which might be
      cliche, but it's palatable.

      The action that surrounds this plot is serviceable, and at the end even a
      little bit enticing. Elssbett -- apparently derived from the same realm of
      testosterone-driven action that defines cool women heroes/villains as sexy
      chicks that carry big guns -- is adamant on her path to carry out the
      assassination, but at the same time reveals a human vulnerability
      underneath the cold Nietzschean resolve. She and Dylan end up in action
      scenes fighting each other as well as members of the Drago-Kazov. In the
      process, we get at least one new weapon, the "EM-lash," which resembles
      some sort of laser-like whip and at one point is used to cut a guy clean
      in half.

      Beka and the Andromeda are on the other end of the action, for once
      actually directly connecting an A-story and B-story. They display an
      example of the would-be dupers actually being the duped, which is a bit
      suspect since it's obviously intended more as a dupe of the audience.

      What makes the story is the way Dylan manipulates the outcome. His main
      goal is to talk Elssbett out of the assassination, but when he can't do
      that he instead "goes Nietzschean" by drawing the three uneasy prides'
      fleets together into a swarm, as if whacking a bees' nest. Is this
      plausible? I have some severe doubts. Dylan turns a chase sequence into a
      war by getting one fleet to chase him, another fleet to chase the first
      fleet, and then leading both parties to a third fleet, where all hell
      breaks loose. This has the effect of rendering Elssbett's assassination of
      the Jaguar royal family moot and unwise, since the Sabra and Jaguar find
      themselves forced into an alliance to fight the Drago-Kazov.

      I really don't know if this war outbreak holds water (perhaps the
      Nietzscheans were waiting for an excuse to declare war on one another, but
      I think it unlikely they'd let one cargo ship rearrange their strategies),
      but I also don't much care. The lesson to be learned here is that in the
      Nietzschean world this sort of organized mayhem seems more at home. And
      the captain of the Andromeda doesn't mind doing some zany, madcap things.

      "The Honey Offering" has a shaky plot, but it's at least an entertaining
      one, on a series where the Nietzscheans still seem like the best bet for
      political intrigue ... and generally entertaining plots of madness.
      Frankly, more galactic madness is what I want to see on this series. If
      Dylan Hunt wants to fix the galaxy, I want to see what it looks like
      broken first.

      --
      Next week: All's fair in android love and betrayal.