[ENT] Jammer's Review: "Canamar"

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2003

      In brief: An excellent lesson in how to spin your wheels.

      Plot description: Archer and Tucker are wrongfully accused of a crime and
      shipped off to an alien penal colony. En route in a prisoner transport ship,
      some other prisoners make an escape attempt.

      -----
      Enterprise: "Canamar"

      Airdate: 2/26/2003 (USA)
      Written by John Shiban
      Directed by Allan Kroeker

      "Captain, my superiors will want a report on..."

      "I'll give you one right now: Kuroda's dead, the other 11 prisoners are
      under guard. As you're aware, my engineer and I were falsely arrested. We
      almost wound up in Canamar. Makes me wonder how many others don't belong
      there. You wanted a report, you've got one."
      -- Enolian official and Archer
      -----

      "Canamar" is a handsomely produced, slickly directed, watchable example of
      what is wrong with Enterprise. For 60 minutes my attention is held enough
      such that I do not feel a need to walk away from my TV, but once it's over I
      realize that I've essentially wasted my time. It's formulaic action fluff
      and that's all. It doesn't even try to be anything more.

      Look, I'm not asking that every hour I spend in front of a TV lend me some
      great insight to the human condition. I'm not asking Star Trek to reinvent
      the wheel every week (I concede that is impossible) or shock us with some
      sort of unanticipated notion or character revelation. What I am asking is
      that the creators make an effort -- or at least pretend -- that their
      stories say something, mean something, or get to the heart of something.
      Anything -- whether it's our characters, the guest characters, a message, or
      any story point worth thinking about. ("Future Tense" was not particularly
      meaty or conclusive, either, but at least it was adequate Trek with some
      good dialog and an entertaining plot.)

      "Canamar" is your garden-variety prison-break concept, a plot about stopping
      a criminal who has taken over a prisoner transport vessel. That's it. It is
      nothing more. It offers no compelling characters, no interesting insights,
      no messages worth considering, and no hint that it wants to be anything but
      a mechanical manipulation of action plot pieces. Its redeeming quality is
      that it competently assembles all its pieces into something that moves us
      from Point A to Point B and makes logical sense. Beyond that, our hands are
      clutching empty air.

      Let's start with the premise: a tried-and-true and rehashed concept if there
      ever was one. It's about prisons and convicts (not to mention the Trek
      cliche of our characters being wrongfully railroaded by an unjust alien
      system), as Archer and Tucker find themselves presumed guilty and aboard an
      Enolian prisoner transport ship headed for a penal colony.

      I can think of any number of storylines about prisons and/or convicts. Some
      of them are very good. One of my favorite movies of all time is "The
      Shawshank Redemption," which uses the prison system as a patiently unfolding
      canvas to show us how spirits are crushed and how hope can be the path to
      redemption. Among the Trek prison-drama examples are shows like DS9's "Hard
      Time" and Voyager's "The Chute," both which were effective in depicting the
      horrific psychological effects of extended incarceration. Now we get
      Enterprise's "Canamar," which really has nothing to do with the penal colony
      of Canamar. We don't even get to the penal colony because the ship (and the
      story) are hijacked by a run-of-the-mill criminal who must then be stopped.
      That's what the show is about. It's about stopping the bad guy.

      His name is Kuroda (Mark Rolston). Early in the episode, Kuroda and his
      Nausicaan partner in crime (Michael McGrady) break free of their restraints
      and take control of the prison ship. The guards are restrained, but the
      pilot is injured, leaving Kuroda with the problem of having no one to fly
      the ship. His solution: Jonathan Archer, who is quick to volunteer his help.
      This puts Archer in the pilot's seat, and also in the position where he may
      be able to influence the outcome of a situation likely headed for disaster.

      On the other end of the plot is the Enterprise's search for Archer and
      Tucker after they discover their empty shuttlepod. (One thinks the Enolian
      authorities might've impounded a shuttlepod involved in alleged smuggling
      activity, but never mind, as that would prevent the Enterprise crew from
      finding it.) The crew contacts an Enolian authority (Holmes Osborne) about
      their missing captain and engineer, and in what is the show's biggest, most
      welcome and refreshing surprise, the Enolian authorities are actually
      cooperative (!) people who admit the error and promise the immediate release
      of Archer and Tucker. (Par for this course would've had the annoying
      bureaucrats inform T'Pol that Archer and Tucker were in fact guilty, period,
      followed by an order to leave their space, a terse threat, and switching off
      the viewscreen. Thank heavens we didn't have to sit through that sequence
      again.)

      Back aboard the prison ship begins a series of trust games, as Archer tries
      to keep a lid on an escalating situation while Kuroda plots his escape,
      violently if necessary. Kuroda, a repeat offender, has already spent many
      years at Canamar and has no plans to go back. He intends to rendezvous with
      another ship of criminals in the orbit of a planet, get off the prison ship,
      and let the prison ship crash into the planet, killing all the other
      prisoners and guards. He sees this as a simple matter of pragmatism: The
      Enolian officials will assume all the prisoners died in the crash and will
      not have any witnesses to say otherwise. (I'm not so sure my investigation
      would end there if I were the Enolians, but I suppose Kuroda is free to make
      his own assumptions.) Obviously, Archer can't let this happen, so he plots a
      last-minute attempt to take control of the ship from Kuroda, and manages to
      convince Kuroda to release Tucker.

      This leads to the extended action sequence of the last act, which is a
      compromise between the effective and the frustrating. There's a lot going on
      here, with the docking of the other ship and a series of changes in the
      upper hand. At a certain mechanical level, the action at the end of
      "Canamar" works. It is effectively staged and directed -- better than some.
      The increasing noise and camera-shaking lends a certain amount of intensity
      as the prison ship enters the atmosphere, and it goes on for so long that we
      begin to sense the ship is seconds away from breaking apart. The action
      score, by (I think) new-to-Trek composer Brian Tyler, is effective.

      At the same time, the inability to contain Kuroda borders on the
      frustratingly contrived. There's a point where he's shot and rendered
      unconscious, but then left to wake up and cause more trouble (and, hence,
      more action). Archer and Kuroda end up going mano a mano, which is
      well-choreographed in terms of technical action (and by now we're annoyed
      enough with Kuroda's lack of reason that we're hoping Archer will kick his
      ass and be done with it), but it had me questioning the logic of events:
      Surely the security team could've focused its efforts on restraining Kuroda
      rather than permitting him to get away again and again. Kuroda essentially
      writes his own death sentence by staying aboard the ship ("I won't go back!"
      he states adamantly) as it plunges into the atmosphere -- a visual which we
      are spared, quite possibly to avoid unpleasant reminders of the Columbia
      tragedy.

      In the end, the problem with "Canamar" is not in what is here but in what is
      missing. This story finds no point and relies on little in terms of ideas or
      attitudes. It is a prison-based setup that arrives only at the most
      simplistic of action payoffs. Kuroda and indeed none of the prisoners emerge
      to reveal personalities or perspectives or interesting dialog. The people
      are there to service the action and little else.

      There's a last-minute bit where Archer, who is not very happy with the
      Enolians, bluntly confronts their official over the possibility of other
      innocents who have likely been condemned in their screwed-up justice system.
      Archer's aggressive tone is both warranted and believable (and well
      delivered by Scott Bakula) given the ordeal he's just been through, but it's
      all too brief and the message feels perfunctory. The episode is content only
      to make the briefest and most obvious point about an apparently deeply
      flawed justice system. It doesn't look the slightest bit deeper, because the
      show is not about any of that. It's about Archer stopping Kuroda from
      killing everyone.

      And that's what's presently wrong with Enterprise. It is content to go the
      obvious plot-only route rather than asking provocative questions or digging
      any deeper into its characters' personalities or thoughts. It is dangerously
      close to turning into a mechanical process. And that's both a shame and a
      waste.

      --
      Next week: A month of reruns begins with "The Communicator."