[ENT] Jammer's Review: "Stigma"

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 19, 2003

      In brief: A reasonable message show, but somehow still lacking, and a little
      too obvious on its limited-scope terms.

      Plot description: T'Pol faces the possible loss of her career for having
      contracted a rare disease that is stigmatized in Vulcan society for being
      spread through the unaccepted practice of mind-melding.

      -----
      Enterprise: "Stigma"

      Airdate: 2/5/2003 (USA)
      Written by Rick Berman & Brannon Braga
      Directed by David Livingston

      "You can pull it out now." -- Feezal to Trip, eye-roll-inducing sexual
      reference that proves the writers can't keep a straight face for an entire
      serious hour
      -----

      After "Stigma" fades to black, there's a brief insert that provides a
      toll-free number and explains how you can get more information about HIV and
      AIDS. Meanwhile, this week's episode of "The Dead Zone" ends with an
      informational card that urges people to donate blood to the American Red
      Cross. What is this, Message-Show Info-Card Week?

      I tend to resent these informational tack-ons, because they snap me right
      out of the drama, as if to say: Look, dummy! This is the message! A good
      allegory or message show should stand on its own; when I see these
      informational cards I feel like the creators are assuming I'm too dense to
      realize that there was a message behind the storyline.

      But that's just me.

      As allegories go, "Stigma" is watchable, well-intended, and earnest -- in a
      zero-subtlety kind of way. It's also a little too by-the-numbers and feels
      curiously dated in its message and technique. There was a lot of publicity
      prior to the airing of "Stigma," and I think that's a telling sign. This
      story has taken up a cause and the Paramount publicity machine seems to see
      this as the franchise's great return to social commentary. Actor John
      Billingsley was recently quoted as saying Enterprise should do more
      allegories and commentary. I am in agreement with him. But when the
      publicity department has to work overtime to tell people that Trek is going
      to be making social commentary in an upcoming episode, it's only
      demonstrating how the franchise has lost some of its relevance.

      "Stigma" -- which I'm scoring as a near-miss -- takes the social commentary
      route to a point of obviousness that won't much challenge a forward-thinking
      audience. These days, the best-working message shows are ones that tackle
      current situations head-on without the need for an allegorical surface
      (generally because they are set in present time and circumstances). "Law &
      Order: Special Victims Unit" recently did a show about stem-cell research on
      human embryos that was so disturbing in its depiction of ethics while so
      even-handed in its thematic approach that I was literally amazed. I was not
      amazed by "Stigma." The message is never in doubt or demanding of much
      scrutiny; it essentially boils down to "prejudice is bad." Not exactly
      cutting-edge stuff, and in 2003 it's not like we have to hide behind sci-fi
      metaphors to deal with current issues like the original show did in 1967.

      That said, "Stigma" is, after all, set in the Star Trek universe where we
      don't face these kinds of problems head-on because they no longer exist in
      human society. And to be fair, I'm not sure that Star Trek -- even
      Enterprise -- has the option to jettison the allegorical framing method to
      deal with a current-day issue like HIV/AIDS. The metaphor for the disease
      here is a stigmatized Vulcan condition called Pa'nar Syndrome, and the
      metaphor for (apparently) the homosexual minority is that of a Vulcan
      minority who engage in the forbidden practice of mind-melds. We learn that
      T'Pol contracted Pa'nar Syndrome when she mind-melded with Tolaris in last
      year's "Fusion."

      Let's take a look at the central analogy.

      The analogy, if you take it literally, seems to say this: You don't have to
      be part of a certain "minority" to contract HIV, but HIV is predominantly
      spread by this certain "minority," which is shunned by an intolerant
      society. Perhaps I'm taking an unwarranted leap of logic in believing the
      writers were drawing a connection between the Vulcan minority and the human
      minority of homosexuals. And perhaps I'm taking the allegorical intent here
      too literally. Then again, perhaps not.

      One logical hang-up with this allegory (as I've interpreted it) is that it
      doesn't hold true enough to current events. In the United States, yes, HIV
      is more common among gay men. But that certainly isn't the case worldwide,
      particularly in countries like South Africa, where HIV is a sprawling
      epidemic infecting 20 percent of the adult population -- primarily because
      of insufficient prevention programs and resources.

      Or perhaps mind-melding Vulcans *aren't* a metaphor specifically for
      homosexuals; perhaps they're a metaphor for generally risky behavior like
      unprotected sex or drug use ... although I tend to doubt it, since the
      episode takes to task that of Vulcan bigotry -- bigotry of a specifically
      defined minority. (In the story, only those who engage in the taboo are
      vulnerable to the disease, which is not the case with HIV if homosexuality
      is the taboo in question.) But then that's the problem with bigotry in the
      first place, isn't it? Gays are individuals, not a blanket group to be
      associated with HIV merely because of sexual orientation. The variable in
      HIV prevention is behavior that puts you at risk, not whether you sleep with
      the same or opposite sex.

      If the Vulcans discover T'Pol's condition, they are certain to recall her
      just for having contracted Pa'nar Syndrome, even though she doesn't actually
      belong to the minority of mind-melders. T'Pol would likely lose her career
      and be shunned by Vulcan society for having engaged in taboo behavior.
      Furthermore, we find that the Vulcan medical community isn't working to find
      a cure for Pa'nar Syndrome because they don't approve of those who have it,
      on the account they're behaving against the norms of Vulcan society. This is
      a rather harsh policy. After all, it's not as if AIDS research has been
      halted because governments don't feel a need to cure those who were unlucky
      enough to contract it, or because they don't agree with the behavior of some
      who have it. The problem with AIDS is not that we don't care about a cure,
      but that we are not yet capable of providing one.

      One thing that doesn't come across adequately in the episode is how the
      stigma of HIV/AIDS is not entirely an issue of either behavior or sexual
      orientation. The Vulcans are more adverse here to the behavior of
      mind-melds, whereas the stigma of HIV in the real world is about the
      *disease* itself -- because of fear of death and concern for safety, and
      because of shame and ignorance, in addition to the other stigmatized issues
      revolving around gender bias, sexual morality, or homophobia.

      Granted, an allegory doesn't have to perfectly mirror its true subject.
      (Much of this review is for the sake of discussion.) But by making so much
      of this show about the Vulcans' intolerance for mind-melders, it seems to me
      this episode somewhat misses a big point it really ought to be making, which
      is: On a worldwide scale, AIDS is indeed stigmatized, but there are larger
      issues, with the biggest current obstacle being the lack of adequate
      prevention programs and education, especially in developing countries. The
      somewhat tunnel-vision approach of "Stigma" seems to arise mostly from an
      Americanized civil rights standpoint.

      Having said all that, "Stigma" enjoys a certain level of success and is
      certainly *not* a waste of time. By wearing its message on its sleeve, it at
      least can spark some renewed discussion and awareness of an important topic.
      That alone is worth something. And in terms of the surface storyline,
      there's a certain shock in seeing this level of intolerance in Vulcan
      society, which employs some almost police-state tactics in confronting
      T'Pol. I'm not so sure I like it (it pushes this series' humans closer to
      the moral benchmark, when humans should be learning rather than teaching),
      but I'm also intrigued by it, and particularly by a line by Vulcan Dr. Yuris
      (Jeffrey Hayenga), who says of Vulcan society, "There's more intolerance now
      than there was a thousand years ago. It has to stop." I'm also interested in
      learning how the mind-meld will eventually be embraced by the future Vulcan
      society we know will emerge.

      And worth mention is Jolene Blalock turning in one of her best performances
      to date. T'Pol, facing a grueling situation and stumbling across more Vulcan
      intolerance than she has the stomach for, looks like she's been hit with a
      hammer. Blalock's performance is subtle, restrained, and internalized,
      carefully revealing evident emotion without stepping too far into the realm
      of the outright emotional. It's impressive work, and watching T'Pol stand
      her moral ground as the consequences come flying at her is somewhat
      inspiring.

      There's also an amiable but largely irrelevant B-story, where one of Phlox's
      wives visits the ship to help install a sophisticated microscope in sickbay.
      Her name is Feezal, played by Melinda Page Hamilton, who has an absolutely
      irresistible smile that she wears in every single scene. Feezal constantly
      hits on Trip, which of course Our Southern Gentleman is hugely uncomfortable
      with. My one question about this subplot was why it wasn't obvious to Trip,
      as it was certainly obvious to me, that Phlox would encourage Trip to pursue
      Feezal's advances, seeing as it is common knowledge that Denobulans are
      polygamists. The subplot is pleasant but slight, and a distraction from the
      episode's more serious content.

      I could've done completely without Mayweather's pointless dialog in sickbay
      about sports involving melon-throwing and wild animals, which comes
      dangerously close to insulting racial stereotyping. What exactly is the
      point of this ludicrous dialog? (The trivial mistreatment or non-treatment
      of this series' only black character is becoming a constant thorn in my
      side, I must say.)

      The bottom line is, as message shows go, this one is pretty average, and
      might've benefited from some wider perspectives. Writing this review felt
      like time well spent, as did doing a little Web research to remind myself of
      the current global impact of AIDS. But I didn't really get those benefits
      from the episode itself, if you see what I mean. "Stigma" stakes out
      precious little new territory, especially compared to what else is on
      television today.

      Maybe it's enough that the episode is a catalyst for thought rather than a
      deep or subtle analysis in its own right. Maybe I'm being too hard on a
      sincere allegory. I don't know. I just invariably find myself thinking back
      to that stem-cell episode of "L&O:SVU." That was a show where moral
      positions were not so clear-cut and obvious, where problems were complex,
      controversial, difficult, and unsettling. It was a show that was daring and
      original as issue shows go -- something that "Stigma" is not.

      In that regard, it's sort of a shame that "prejudice is bad" is about the
      only message "Stigma" ends up with. The message isn't bad (and, indeed, the
      intentions are good), but it's too obvious and typical of Star Trek. AIDS in
      the real world is a social issue where the stigma is only part of the
      problem, and not even the most important part.

      --
      Footnote: In the spirit of sending non-subtle messages, I will end this
      review with my own informational tag, and encourage readers to visit

      Next week: A new Vulcan/Andorian conflict, with Archer in the middle.