[ENT] Jammer's Review: "Shockwave"

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2002

      In brief: Compelling, absorbing, intriguing, convincing. I think the season
      ends on a high note.

      Plot description: The disastrous destruction of a mining colony resulting in
      more than 3,600 deaths leads to the possibility of Starfleet and the Vulcans
      canceling the Enterprise's mission.

      Enterprise: "Shockwave"

      Airdate: 5/22/2002 (USA)
      Written by Rick Berman & Brannon Braga
      Directed by Allan Kroeker

      Review by Jamahl Epsicokhan
      Rating out of 4: ****

      Archer: "Can't you ever give a straight answer?"
      Daniels: "Depends on the question."

      "Shockwave" is bookended with some chilling images that burned themselves
      into my mind. Those images are enough to elevate an already standout story
      into the realm of memorable excellence. Trek hasn't absorbed me in this way
      in some time. And I'm pleased also to report that there's a depth and
      emotional arc to this story that's convincing.

      But more than anything, I think what makes "Shockwave" truly work is its
      tone of unrelenting weightiness, which is masterfully pitched. I suppose the
      credit should go largely to Allan Kroeker and the actors, who bring
      conviction and importance to every scene, in a restrained, understated
      way -- not an easy task.

      The episode opens with a startlingly potent image: the surface of a moon
      being incinerated by a wave of cascading explosions, destroying a mining
      colony and killing 3,600 people. It's a disaster on a large scale, and
      initial evidence indicates the Enterprise shuttlepod's plasma emissions
      accidentally ignited atmospheric gases during a landing approach. The
      evidence is conflicting; Reed explains in no uncertain terms that procedures
      to avoid this possibility were followed to a T, even while forensic-like
      analysis reveals byproducts that could only have been produced by the plasma
      igniting the atmosphere.

      I especially liked that the episode didn't merely use this disaster as a
      plot launcher, but also as the basis for Archer's soul searching. A quietly
      effective scene where he silently scrolls through a seemingly endless list
      of colonist names -- with pictures attached -- says it all. Archer submerges
      himself into a pit of self-punishment; as captain, he feels directly
      responsible for all the deaths.

      Meanwhile, news from Starfleet suggests that the Vulcans (particularly at
      the behest of Ambassador Soval) will use this incident to cancel the
      Enterprise's mission and try to bottle Starfleet back inside our solar
      system for the next 10 or 20 years. Overreaction? Certainly. Someone needs
      to argue in favor of the value of Enterprise's mission. But being in his
      guilty pit of self-punishment, Archer seems content to accept whatever is
      handed down from above without a fight. Trip is in disbelief: "That's guilt
      talking, not Jonathan Archer."

      Even T'Pol recognizes the absurdity in the Vulcans recommending the mission
      be canceled. She also recognizes that Archer's guilt is getting the best of
      him, and in a good scene where she shows herself trying to be an effective
      first officer doing what's best for the mission, she visits Archer in his
      quarters and asks him bluntly, "Is this what humans call feeling sorry for

      These notes are played just about perfectly. We can understand Archer's
      guilty reactions just as we can understand that they must not be allowed to
      take complete control of him; emotions must not prevail in allowing a
      knee-jerk verdict go the distance.

      It's about here where an intriguing sci-fi plot all but rescues Archer from
      his own predicament. While I'm in favor of seeing characters resolve their
      problems instead of having the plot do it for them, in this case the plot is
      so clever that I was more than happy to go with the flow. Archer turns off
      the light in his quarters and suddenly wakes up in his apartment on Earth in
      the past. I liked the visual of Archer looking out a window over the city
      skyline -- like a dream image, it's a visual that feels familiar and yet
      doesn't belong -- and I liked Archer's puzzled but muted responses to this
      strangeness ("If you're telling me the last 10 months were a dream, I'm not
      buying it," he says, not even sure if he's talking to anyone but himself).

      The not-so-dead-after-all Crewman Daniels (Matt Winston; see "Cold Front")
      pulled Archer into this past because it seemed to Daniels like a good hiding
      place away from the front lines of the Temporal Cold War. Or something.
      Daniels tries to explain the collision of past and future in the terms of
      how certain events haven't happened yet, to which Archer responds, "That's a
      load of crap and you know it" -- a perfect line of dialog. Daniels then
      proceeds to explain that the accident that destroyed the mining colony was
      engineered by the Suliban as a frame-up in an attempt to undermine
      Enterprise's mission and change history.

      If there's a complaint to be made about the plot machinations here, it's
      that the information supplied to Archer from Daniels is so correct and
      comprehensive as to make Daniels storyline-omniscient. But then that's the
      whole point about this war waged through timelines -- he who has the best
      information wins.

      In this case, Archer comes back to the present with a wealth of information
      that makes it possible to collect evidence proving the Suliban frame-up. The
      Enterprise crew does this by tracking down and disabling a cloaked Suliban
      ship, boarding it, and stealing data that documents the frame-up. Clever.
      (Perhaps even too clever, too perfect.) The action here is the polar
      opposite of Andromeda action; stealth, skill, and planning take the place of
      brute force and mindless shoot-outs, to the point that I don't believe we
      see a single Suliban get hit with a phaser beam. Whaddayaknow.

      This raid subsequently prompts recurring Suliban villain Silik (John Fleck),
      under orders from his mysterious superior from the future, to track the
      Enterprise down and target it for destruction unless Archer agrees to
      surrender himself, for reasons not yet made clear. Archer agrees to
      surrender and places T'Pol in command of the ship, in a scene that is played
      with such earnestly serious gravity that it borders on being Earnestly
      Serious Gravity, but without going too far.

      What can't come across in a review is the effectiveness of the material's
      tone throughout. When Archer turns the ship over to T'Pol, for example, it
      comes across as a major concession of defeat even as the actors and director
      remain restrained with dead-on delivery. Less proves to be so much more.

      The ending is a time-manipulation twist in which Archer finds himself
      suddenly pulled into the 31st century by Daniels, who finds to his own
      dismay that this causes the 31st century to be radically altered for the
      worse. Here we get compelling shots of a city long since laid to waste. The
      season ends with Archer and Daniels apparently trapped in an alternate
      future no one had predicted. I loved the final zoom-out shot with the
      wrecked city landscape and skyscraper shells -- a haunting image that
      conveys an apt sense of isolation.

      Of course, the funny thing about the Temporal Cold War is that it has no
      knowable direction and therefore no actual substance. By definition, we are
      in the dark, because it's not about what has happened or is happening, but
      what maybe "should" happen in one possible future. And in situations like
      this, writers have a knack for letting themselves off the hook in ways that
      aren't satisfying to the audience. It's the one worry that comes built into
      a setup like this.

      One might also reflect that by its very nature, the Temporal Cold War (or
      any sort of time-altering premise, for that matter) is fundamentally
      ridiculous, since the participants think they can control history merely by
      manipulating certain events in the timeline. Just once I'd be interested in
      seeing a sci-fi time plot that plays closer to my own belief in ultimate
      chaos: If there's one tiny detail or even molecule out of place, the
      timeline is thus significantly changed in ways that can no longer be
      predicted ("Run Lola Run" supplies one of my favorite cinematic examples of
      this school of thought).

      I digress. In a way, "Shockwave" is like a melding of Star Trek and "The
      X-Files." Most important to note is that it's like the early seasons of "The
      X-Files" that used to interest me (as opposed to the infuriating self-parody
      that its later seasons became) -- a show that was sold on the genuine
      evocation of mystery, intriguing images, and characters who reacted to the
      bizarre with muted disbelief.

      "Shockwave" contains a lot of familiar sci-fi ideas that can't be described
      as "new." But what I'm enthused about is that the episode puts them together
      in such a way that the storyline itself *feels* new. It seems capable of
      going anywhere, and indeed it does go in directions we might not have
      anticipated at the beginning. Even for the Trekker who has seen everything,
      "Shockwave" manages to bring plenty to the table. Can the follow-up next
      season pull the characters out of this dilemma plausibly? I'm not sure. But
      until then, I'm completely satisfied with this episode on its own.

      Here's a plot that's a mess ... but what an entertaining, well-executed, and
      absorbing mess it is.

      Keep an eye out for my Enterprise season recap sometime this summer.