[ANDR] Jammer's Review: "Its Hour Come 'Round At Last"

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6, 2001
      Warning: This review contains significant spoilers for Andromeda's "Its
      Hour Come 'Round At Last." If you haven't seen the episode yet, beware.

      In brief: Can you say "over the top"?

      Plot description: The crew is helpless when an old, mysterious Andromeda
      backup program takes control of the ship and tries to carry out a
      classified mission that steers the ship deep into Magog-infested
      territory.

      -----
      Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda: "Its Hour Come 'Round At Last"

      Airdate: 5/14/2001 (USA week-of)
      Written by Robert Hewitt Wolfe
      Directed by Allan Eastman

      "HARPER! I know you. I've watched you. You are an ANNOYING little man, but
      there is FIRE in your blood, now USE IT!" -- Tyr
      -----

      "Its Hour Come 'Round At Last" is nothing short of complete anarchy on the
      screen. Essentially, it's 15 minutes of setup and the rest nonstop comic
      book violence. In the process, not enough is done to tell a coherent
      story. Because this is a cliffhanger season ender (boy, am I tired of
      obligatory cliffhangers), nothing makes any real sense yet; we have to
      wait until fall to find out what this all means. For now, it's less a
      mystery than a muddle ... and an overblown, pandering one at that.

      The good news, I guess, is that this episode isn't boring or lacking in
      energy. Or maybe that's bad news, seeing as it's a frenetic action-fest
      with a body count that probably lies somewhere between at least 50 and
      100, although I won't be wasting my time by going back to count. Of
      course, the body count consists of all Magog, who serve primarily as
      action props that should be labeled "fish in a barrel."

      Seriously, how many Magog can you watch get shot -- hit by projectiles
      that cause them to fly through the air in defiance of the physical laws --
      before it gets old? "Its Hour..." often resembles a video game more than
      anything else, where the bad guys just keep on comin' while the heroes
      keep on blastin' away. The only time anyone runs out of ammo is when the
      plot suddenly demands it.

      Part of me -- a very silly part -- somewhat enjoyed the scope of the
      action on a purely visceral, thoughtless level. Is it therefore worth a
      recommendation? I'm afraid not. The script was written by Robert Hewitt
      Wolfe, whose sensibilities here seem about a million miles away from
      anything he wrote on Deep Space Nine or, for that matter, "Angel Dark,
      Demon Bright" earlier this season. I can't say that's good news since,
      frankly, most of "Its Hour" is shameless exploitation and pandering. If
      the target audience for Andromeda is one that's supposed to be satisfied
      watching wave after wave of Magog getting blown away, then count me out.

      The show takes little, if any, of its carnage seriously. It's an
      overwrought cartoon that makes the Magog seem less threatening, not more.
      If five people can wipe out dozens upon dozens of invading Magog with only
      a few hand-held weapons, then why on Earth should we fear them as the
      terror of the galaxy?

      The episode begins with an old backup version of Andromeda's personality
      file being unleashed and taking control of the ship. This version of
      Andromeda doesn't recognize any of the crew and sees them all as intruders
      (leading to yet another silly use of the ship's internal defense system,
      which is useless because it shoots at the good guys -- always missing, by
      the way -- and doesn't even work when the actual bad guys are invading).
      Andromeda orders Trance into the slipstream pilot's seat and plots a
      course for a classified mission that, apparently, Andromeda ran years
      before the fall of the Commonwealth and prior to Dylan becoming the ship's
      captain. It's gradually revealed that this classified mission involved the
      Magog, which loosely connects with what's about to happen.

      Just as it looks like the episode is going to be "the crew vs.
      Rommie-gone-awry" is about when the Magog suddenly show up. They have
      ships that latch onto the Andromeda and punch into the hull, and massive
      invasion forces swarm onto the decks of Dylan's crippled vessel. As
      suspense, the initial boarding sequence does a nice job of capturing the
      impending doom of the invasion, as the Magog clang and chant in a creepy
      unison -- and then suddenly go silent just before their massive assault.

      ... At which point the episode apparently wants to become an intergalactic
      version of "Assault on Precinct 13."

      In short: If you want to see Magog after Magog after Magog falling down,
      this is the episode for you. If you want much more, you are advised to
      look elsewhere.

      I'd like to know how the Magog can even have space technology based on the
      average level of intelligence they show here. They don't carry weapons and
      they have no apparent strategy for their attacks, aside from charging
      straight toward armed people and getting shot. There's exactly one Magog
      here who has the status of a character with dialog, an overseer named
      Bloodmist (Gerard Plunkett) who seems to be in charge of the invasion. He
      alone exhibits sentience; the rest are anonymous monster-props and
      apparently expendable resources on a suicide mission.

      There are, fortunately, some redeeming qualities that save "Its Hour" from
      its own overindulgence. The pairing of Harper and Tyr works reasonably, as
      Harper must come face to face with the dreaded race he feared growing
      up -- though Gordon Michael Woolvett again seems to be on the edge of
      hyperventilating through his performance, and I wondered where the tough
      guy from "Fear and Loathing in the Milky Way" went. Similarly, the
      camaraderie between Dylan and Beka also works, including their brief
      discussion about rebuilding the Commonwealth, something Dylan admits may
      very well be impossible but must be attempted nonetheless. Lastly, Rev's
      inner-struggle between his animal instincts and his faith is interesting,
      though arguably ham-handed.

      Mystery backdrops also abound. First is the connection between the secret
      mission from 300-some years ago and the encounter here with "20 worlds
      joined in some kind of structure." Said structure is an imaginatively
      depicted sci-fi sight, housing trillions of Magog. Also, the Continuity
      Patrol must report that the mysterious shadow-man from "Harper 2.0," who
      apparently is a god to the Magog, also appears here. And these Magog,
      according to Bloodmist, are a different breed of Magog, supposedly with a
      higher purpose than the unenlightened Magog from which Rev descended.
      These mysteries could come together to reveal something potentially
      compelling in the larger Andromeda mythos.

      And, admittedly, director Allan Eastman does a good job staging furiously
      paced scenes of mayhem in darkened areas of the ship. Obviously, some
      substantial work went into the pervasive stunt coordination. Heck, half
      the season's budget was probably spent on this episode.

      But if none of it is believable or has any impact, who cares? It's decent
      execution of a very flawed idea -- the idea that we'll be scared by Magog
      just because there are a ton of them. I've said it before, even recently,
      and I'll say it again: Less is more. More is often less ... and in the
      case here, ridiculous. (Notions that don't play fair with the audience:
      Tyr and Harper appear to be gnawed to death by Magog before a commercial
      break, but only insofar that they're unconscious after the commercial
      break. Holes are blasted through the ship and the bridge explodes, but
      only knocking people unconscious for cliffhanger purposes. Come to think
      of it, everyone is unconscious by the time the "to be continued" sign
      appears, except Rev, who finds himself either on the Precipice of Villainy
      or Pushed Too Far by the Magog, you decide which.)

      The intrigue and limited character work in "Its Hour" are little more than
      an isolated enclave buried under an avalanche of Wretched Excess. As it
      stands, the mystery I'm most interested in seeing solved is one of
      housekeeping: Once the problems set up here are resolved next season,
      who's going to go traipsing through the decks of the Andromeda to clean up
      all those Magog corpses littering the floor?

      --
      Upcoming: Reruns, starting with "Harper 2.0." Stay tuned for a steady
      release of back reviews for episodes that aired earlier in the season, and