55[VOY] Jammer's Review: "Live Fast and Prosper"

    Apr 25, 2000
      Foreword: This week I've also posted an article about my trip to Paramount
      Studios last month. To read it, visit Star Trek: Hypertext at
      http://www.st-hypertext.com/

      --
      Warning: This review contains significant spoilers for Voyager's "Live Fast
      and Prosper." If you haven't seen the episode yet, beware.

      Nutshell: Some flashes of cleverness, but the story can't succeed as a
      whole.

      Plot description: Con artists impersonate members of the Voyager crew and
      use the false identities to scheme valuables from unwitting aliens.

      -----
      Star Trek: Voyager -- "Live Fast and Prosper"

      Airdate: 4/19/2000 (USA)
      Written by Robin Burger
      Directed by LeVar Burton

      "I make a better you than you." -- Impostor Janeway to real Janeway
      -----

      At a few key points, "Live Fast and Prosper" successfully anticipates our
      expectations and then hits us with the "Gotcha!" There's a moment here when
      a woman, who is locked in the Voyager brig, takes Neelix by surprise and
      then escapes in the Delta Flyer, all too easily. At this point, I was
      furious. So sick am I of the cliche of the easy theft of a shuttle, which
      makes the crew look witless and inept. But then came the unexpected twist
      where not all was what it appeared to be, and ... they got me.

      What's interesting is that I'm not sure whether this is effective because
      it's effective, or if it's effective because I expect that annoying
      contrivances will happen so frequently on this series. This gotcha scene can
      be analyzed on a couple levels. On one level, we have what is competent
      execution of audience deception. On a deeper, more ironic level, we have the
      writers possibly winking at us, acknowledging that, okay, the writing is
      sometimes contrived and cliche, we know it, and we're going to cleverly use
      that knowledge against you. I propose that it must be clever, simply because
      the mental review already popping into my head during the viewing suddenly
      found itself in immediate need of a rewrite.

      So, then, at the very least, "Live Fast and Prosper" has a couple clever
      twists working in its favor. The question still remains: Is it any good?

      I can't recommend it, because this is an episode that sounds like a fun idea
      but doesn't end up being as much fun as such a premise ("interstellar con
      artists impersonate Voyager crew members") seems capable of. Sure, this is a
      fluff episode, but it's got some annoying rough edges that should've been
      smoothed out, and too much wandering and not enough comic momentum. If you
      want comedy, go watch the far-more-fun "Tinker Tenor Doctor Spy." If you
      want clever cons with substance behind them, go back to last season's
      believably grounded "Counterpoint."

      The premise is simple: A small crew of con artists is posing as members of
      the Voyager crew and scheming gullible aliens into forking over valuables.
      How did they get in a position to pose as Voyager crew members? Well, it
      goes back to a recent away mission, when Paris and Neelix were on the Delta
      Flyer and came across the holy grounds of some clerics. These two "clerics"
      were really con artists, who came up with a story to sucker Tom and Neelix
      into helping them. They were aboard the Delta Flyer for a short time, during
      which they craftily downloaded the Voyager database in order to later assume
      their phony identities.

      There are some decent ideas here, like the notion of Tom and Neelix feeling
      that they've "lost their edge" upon learning that they'd been had. Although
      many characters on this series are nearing the realm of lost causes, this
      story at least makes an effort, remembering that both Tom and Neelix were
      cynical types who'd come across their share of shady characters. The
      question they now ask is whether they're getting soft.

      As I go off into a tangent that is certain to inspire annoyed "let it go"
      letters by those who are more optimistic about Voyager as a series than I
      am, I'll answer the question: Of course they're getting soft. How could you
      not when you're aboard the starship Voyager, which is a pristine palace that
      never shows a scar no matter how many battles it's been through? With an
      endless supply of food and energy and weapons despite the fact it's alone in
      the unknown? A ship that represents the Federation on its best day, even
      though it should be more like the Federation on a bad day, or even a crew
      like the Equinox?

      More to the point, the question seems to be whether cynics are even possible
      in the Federation. When Paris boarded Voyager in the first episode, he was a
      cynic and an outcast. Time has molded him into a more respectable officer
      that embodies the good, virtuous Starfleet, as well as Janeway's idea of an
      inflexible Starfleet moral sensibility. The same goes for Neelix. Of course
      they're soft. They're Starfleet. Starfleet relies on trust and openness as
      an ideology.

      Of course, that doesn't make you stupid or even gullible. Tom and Neelix
      were tricked--plain and simple--by people who apparently dedicate their
      lives to tricking other people. Hindsight is 20/20, and the con, involving a
      story with orphans, was effective probably because it was an appeal to their
      empathy. We're only human, and most of us have a soft side. My soft side
      resists (but relents to) the urge to call Tom and Harry chumps--not because
      one of them was tricked and the other is a goof, but because their idea of
      fun is picking on Tuvok by reprogramming his holodeck program. (I dare them
      to go pick on Torres or Seven of Nine--I bet they don't have the cajones.)

      The main annoyance here is the show's reliability on stupid alien characters
      and moments of clunky plotting. An important plot allegation this episode
      makes is that the con artists are destroying Voyager's reputation by posing
      as them. But once Janeway & Co. are onto this scheme, this should no longer
      be the case, simply because Voyager is now aware of the phonies and able to
      get word out that these impostors exist.

      But no. Instead, every alien the real Voyager crew encounters is a
      Hard-Headed Alien who refuses to believe that the impostors exist, and
      demands that Voyager return what has been conned from them. Watching these
      dialog scenes is not interesting; it's merely frustrating. I personally
      wanted to tell the first Hard-Headed Alien victim to wake up, smell the damn
      coffee, and get out of Janeway's face. (Hint: That's not the reaction the
      scene was looking for.)

      A later scene has Voyager catching the impostors red-handed in one of their
      schemes while another alien ship has them locked in a tractor beam. The
      second Hard-Headed Alien victim won't hear anything Janeway says, and
      interrupts her constantly as she tries to explain the situation. Meanwhile
      the success/failure of tractor beams and weapons is used as a handy plot
      device that permits the impostors' ship to escape in a way that manages to
      make everyone involved look incompetent. (Hint: It's more interesting to see
      smart characters doing clever things, rather than having a mess that careens
      out of control because everyone is a bumbling fool using technology that
      fails arbitrarily.) If any of these aliens had an IQ higher than 75, and
      lower levels of testosterone, half the story's problems would be nearly
      instantly solved.

      Fortunately, it's about this time the episode begins to show some
      cleverness. The tractor beam fiasco results in the capture of con artist
      Dala (Kaitlin Hopkins), who has been posing as Janeway. She's thrown into
      the brig, which leads to a pretty good Janeway vs. "Janeway" scene, which
      ends with a rather nice con on behalf of the real Janeway and Tuvok.
      (Tuvok's improvisations are particularly fun.)

      It's at this point we get the Neelix scene with Dala that ends with an
      escape in the Delta Flyer and the twist I mentioned earlier. I won't go into
      the details, and for once I'm not even going to explain the way the plot
      pulls together in the end. Suffice it to know there is some more plotting
      cleverness, and that explaining it won't make this a more useful review.

      There are also some subtle comic touches here that I can appreciate. One of
      them is the uniforms the con artists wear. They're not exactly the
      best-tailored Starfleet uniforms one has ever seen. And the con artists'
      combadges are oversized. The comic idea here is that these phonies have
      tailored the look of the uniforms as best they could with their stolen
      information. It's funny in that it reminds us of the die-hard Trek fan who
      tailored his/her own uniform to wear at a convention: You know what it's
      supposed to be, but you also know that it didn't come from the professionals
      at the Paramount costuming department.

      Of course, humor like that is more fun to consider after the fact. While the
      story is unfolding it's simply not much of a factor. And other scenes that
      should be fun seem flat, like the scene where Tom and Neelix attempt to pull
      a fast one on Doc with the old "under which cup is the walnut" routine,
      which is done once early in the show and then again at the end, both times
      with thin and predictable results.

      The show is sort of a muddle in tone. It wants us to take long dialog scenes
      seriously (like the scene of Neelix in the brig) before revealing that it's
      all probably just a con, on us as well as the other characters. In a way, I
      find that effective. There's almost a sense that we should just wink our way
      through the whole darned absurd Star Trek universe. But we never come to
      understand Dala as a character. She seems to be considering reform, then
      turns on Neelix in a way that makes her a con-to-the-end when it's really
      *she* who is being unwittingly conned. And then the story removes her from
      the plot using Doc in a way that is a nifty trick. But along the way Dala
      becomes a bland pawn to the plotting when she could've been an actual
      character.

      The episode also tends to jump around from character to character with no
      big payoffs. The Janeway vs. "Janeway" idea seemed to be going somewhere,
      but then the whole thread is abandoned prematurely and we return to Paris
      and Neelix.

      I also didn't understand the nature of the phony Tuvok (Greg Daniel). Just
      who is this guy when he isn't playing the role of Tuvok? There seems to be a
      buried joke in here saying that he has disappeared completely into his
      role-playing and refuses to come out no matter who is or is not watching.
      Even when he's just with his fellow con crew, he keeps acting sort of like
      Tuvok while the others drop the guise. What is this supposed to mean? It's a
      joke with a confused punch line.

      All things considered, this is a middling fluff piece. I liked the skillful
      way the twists in the last act were presented, but apart from the clever
      twists we don't have a compelling core. And it's too evident that Robin
      Burger's script is smarter than any of the characters who populate it; the
      plot takes clever directions while the villains aren't nearly so clever as
      they probably should be. "Live Fast and Prosper" lives pretty fast. But it
      doesn't live with any depth or much credibility. And in the end it can't
      prosper.

      --
      Next week: Torres and Kim die, if you believe the trailers. The suspense is
      killing me.

      -----
      Copyright (c) 2000 by Jamahl Epsicokhan, all rights reserved. Unauthorized