53[VOY] Jammer's Review: "Child's Play"

    Mar 20 5:40 PM
      Warning: This review contains significant spoilers for Voyager's "Child's
      Play." If you haven't seen the episode yet, beware.

      Nutshell: A very nicely acted hour, though I'm not so sure aspects of the
      twist ending are completely fair to the viewer.

      Plot description: Seven's feelings and maternal instincts are awakened
      when the crew locates the parents of one of the Borg children to whom
      Seven has grown attached.

      -----
      Star Trek: Voyager -- "Child's Play"

      Airdate: 3/8/2000 (USA)
      Teleplay by Raf Green
      Story by Paul Brown
      Directed by Mike Vejar

      "When the project began, they wanted to clone Naomi. But I suggested they
      start with something smaller." -- Seven on potato cloning, a Borg-kid
      science project
      -----

      "Child's Play" is a well-acted study of characters who find themselves in
      emotionally difficult situations and have to make tough choices. For a
      long time, the story seems like one of the most fairly and even-handedly
      developed sci-fi child-custody issues that could possibly have been
      conceived given the setup material. But there's a twist ending that
      exists to give the episode some action zip and additional plotting
      intrigue. The twist ultimately works in story terms, but it somewhat
      undermines some of the earlier drama. After watching characters who ring
      so true given their apparent motivations, it's a bit frustrating to see
      that half their heartfelt dialog turns out to be laced with lies and
      deception.

      The episode centers on (who else?) Seven of Nine, who has been successful
      in helping the Borg children adjust to life on Voyager. But her
      attachment could be nearing the end for the oldest of the children,
      Icheb; the crew has located the boy's parents, and they have set course
      to return him to his homeworld, Brunali.

      Brunali is located right next to the exit of a Borg transwarp conduit.
      "Not exactly prime real estate," Paris notes in his typical metaphorical
      one-liner fashion. The Brunali comprise a primarily agrarian culture that
      has suffered numerous attacks by its Borg neighbors. The Borg usually
      leave the Brunali alone--unless they detect technology that's of enough
      interest to them. The Brunali therefore do everything they can to
      maintain a low profile and keep any advanced technology under wraps. Why
      don't they relocate?, Seven asks. Because home is home, and the Brunali
      won't be bullied by the Borg.

      Icheb's parents, Yifay (Tracey Ellis) and Leucon (Mark A. Sheppard) are
      portrayed as understanding people. There's no forced conflict here. Yes,
      they certainly want their son back, but they're not made to be
      unreasonable forces against Seven, which is a good thing. They're
      characters who are not scripted unfairly, and the guest performances are
      on par.

      "Child's Play" is the sort of basic story that for a long time doesn't
      have much plotting but instead simply and slowly analyzes a situation
      with its characters. Scenes exist to reveal attitudes and gradual
      understanding through sensible dialog that fits the situation. The story
      takes a simple problem and cranks it through various details that grow
      naturally from what's going on, as Icheb starts out wanting nothing to do
      with his parents, then gradually becomes open to the idea of returning
      home to live with them.

      There's really no reason to describe these scenes in great detail. My
      analysis of most of the episode simply comes down to, "Yeah, that's a
      sensibly written scene." I'll also point out that the performances are
      right on target. I'm trying to remember the last time I criticized a Jeri
      Ryan performance, and I'm not sure if I even have. I won't be here,
      either; Ryan is once again the key to making us believe in the problem at
      hand. Seven has a lot of emotions at stake here, and we can see that she
      truly wants what's best for Icheb, while we also see that it pains her to
      send him back with parents that even to Icheb are strangers. Manu
      Intiraymi works well as Icheb in these scenes, taking the less-is-more
      approach of Borgish rendition. (There are, of course, also the typically
      solid Janeway/Seven discussions.)

      I also liked the way this episode tied Seven's dilemma into her past
      involving her own parents. Part of Seven's skepticism concerning Icheb's
      parents boils down to the fact that she understands his needs as a
      liberated Borg better than his parents possibly can, and that his options
      on Voyager will better allow him to exploit his talents and interests in
      space travel. But there's also her worry of parental irresponsibility.
      Seven fears Icheb will be reassimilated if the Borg come visiting the
      Brunali world again, and the Brunali's determination for staying on the
      planet seems at odds with Icheb's well-being. Seven notes a connection
      here with her own parents' recklessness in chasing after Borg cubes. The
      situation hits her close to home. It's a character-history point that
      makes a great deal of sense.

      As I already mentioned, "Child's Play" features a plot twist that the
      writers cleverly launch upon us near the end of the fourth act. It
      involves Icheb's parents turning out to have hidden motives, on the
      account that Icheb was really a bio-engineered weapon who was genetically
      altered at birth to develop a pathogen that would infect the Borg. His
      assimilation was intentional, and Icheb's parents plan to "deploy" him
      again, launching him toward the transwarp conduit in a ship designed to
      attract Borg attention.

      Once Seven and the captain figure out what's really going on, we get an
      action premise where Voyager must rescue Icheb before the Borg capture
      him. Structurally, this is kind of weird, because we have a slow-moving
      hour for most of the way, and then suddenly we get what I'm opting to
      call the weekly Voyager Action Insert--the mandatory isolated action
      sequence that exists in the final act of so many episodes simply because
      the creators believe viewers will not tolerate an action-free show. (And
      preferably, something in the Action Insert needs to get blown up.) Hey, I
      have nothing against explosions, and I even think the blown-up Borg
      sphere here manages to work on its given terms (and is executed with some
      vigor). But I also feel a bit iffy about the fact that such sincere
      material (Icheb's parents coaxing him to return home) is instantly turned
      on its head into something so sinister. Within barely two minutes of
      screen time, we go from a story about one child to a story about
      defending a planet from Borg by using one child as a time bomb. That's
      not a huge problem given the way it all plays out, but it doesn't exactly
      seem like the story we started with.

      The episode depicts the parents as people who are acting in the interests
      of a greater good--the protection of their planet from the Borg--but one
      wonders exactly how this plan is supposed to work given the way
      "Collective" resulted in the destruction of only one ship, left
      abandoned. Speaking of, the way this episode ties in with "Collective" is
      interesting, and shows that the writers might actually have been thinking
      a few shows ahead (!) when they wrote it.

      But what really carries the show are the Seven/Icheb scenes and the
      emotional undercurrents. The final scene does a good job of reflecting on
      the actions of Icheb's parents. Seven calls those actions "barbaric," but
      Icheb's response isn't to wonder whether he can forgive his parents, but
      whether they can forgive him for failing to become the weapon he was
      intended to be.

      The questions here, I think, look at this boy's odd place in life. Was
      Icheb's purpose preordained, and was being rescued by Voyager providing
      him a second chance to live a real life? If his original purpose in life
      was to destroy Borg, was he led astray by a combination of fate and
      Voyager's actions? Or was he freed from an enslaved existence supplied to
      him by his parents? Does defending a planet make it right to preprogram a
      life as a pathogen-carrying future Borg drone? The humane answer would be
      an obvious "no," but where does morality end and desperation to address a
      greater good take over?

      Obviously, parents aren't always right and children aren't in the
      position to make the best decisions for themselves. Fortunately, Icheb
      now has Seven looking out for him, and her perspectives have a great deal
      of human reason. But Icheb's parents didn't have a son; they had living,
      breathing time bomb that they raised as a son. That's pretty meaty stuff.
      Funny, how it all comes to light in the last 10 minutes, while the first
      50 exist in a world so much simpler.

      --
      Next week: Some members of the lower ranks go on an adventure with the
      captain.

      -----
      Copyright (c) 2000 by Jamahl Epsicokhan, all rights reserved.