Re: [jallist] 12F629,12F675

  • Stef UCI
    Message 1 of 16 , May 1, 2003
      Brian Schmalz wrote:

      >With regards to programming the 12F675 and the 16F676, I spoke to Microchip
      >Monday about a strange problem I've seen with both parts. Randomly the value
      >in 0x3FF (which you're supposed to load into OSCAL at the beginning of your
      >code) would get erased and not loaded correctly. Also, the bandgap bits
      >would always stick at zero and never change no matter what I
      >programmed/erased. Microchip said that they are having problems with these
      >two chips - multiple people are reporting this issue. (If you have code to
      >load the OSCAL register at the beginning of your code, and 0x3FFF doesn't
      >get loaded correctly, the part won't run code at all.) They're working on
      >trying to figure out what's going on.
      >
      >It may just be the programmer I'm using (PICKit1) but she made it sound more
      >general of a problem than that. Anyway, FYI.

      The programmer indeed is critical !!
      The programming of a 12F675 compared to 16F628, is like looking at 2
      almost identical pictures and then "search the 10 differences" ;-)
      If you use the wrong algoritm, it sometimes works and sometimes it
      doesn't !!
      Now (I think) I've the good algoritme, I programmed the 12F675 about 30
      times, without any error.

      Stef

      >*Brian
      >

      >>The last couple of days I adjusted my programmer for the 12F675,
      >>and because I had some trouble programming them reliable,
      >>I read about everything I could find about that specific PIC.
      >>I also was interested in not programming the BG bits, because
      >>programming will last twice as long.
      >>

      >>Stef

    • Rob Hamerling
      Message 2 of 16 , May 1, 2003
        Hello Stef

        Stef wrote:

        > I also was interested in not programming the BG bits, because
        > programming will last twice as long.

        I understand that preserving OCSCAL and the BG-bits requires some extra
        actions with bulk erase, but I don't understand why programming will
        take twice as long.
        To my experience (with my variant of XWisp and the Wisp628) the effect
        is minimal. Programming the whole chip takes only a few seconds, so why
        bother anyway?

        Regards, Rob.

        --
        Rob Hamerling, Vianen, NL phone +31-347-322822
        homepage: http://www.robh.nl/
        Message 3 of 16 , May 1, 2003
          hallo Rob,

          Rob Hamerling wrote:

          >Hello Stef
          >
          >Stef wrote:
          >

          >>I also was interested in not programming the BG bits, because
          >>programming will last twice as long.
          >>

          >I understand that preserving OCSCAL and the BG-bits requires some extra
          >actions with bulk erase, but I don't understand why programming will
          >take twice as long.

          You've to program the device to the end (while I normaly stop when 20 *
          $3FFF occures).

          >To my experience (with my variant of XWisp and the Wisp628) the effect
          >is minimal. Programming the whole chip takes only a few seconds,

          But of course, Mircochip will bring out larger chips with the same trick ;-)

          > so why
          >bother anyway?

          Be happy not to bother ;-) ;-) ;-),
          But I'm a very impatient guy, I HATE to wait, especially as it can be
          avoided.
          cheers,
          Stef
        • Rob Hamerling
          Message 4 of 16 , May 1, 2003
            Stef UCI wrote:

            >>I understand that preserving OCSCAL and the BG-bits requires some extra
            >>actions with bulk erase, but I don't understand why programming will
            >>take twice as long.
            >>

            > You've to program the device to the end (while I normaly stop when 20 *
            > $3FFF occures).

            Do you use the Wisp628 programmer?
            If yes then after end of the code-memory from the hex file you can use
            'Wbusjump' to jump directly to the last program memory word (presuming
            you have a recent firmware level, I think it has to be at least version
            1.06). This will save more time for chips with larger program memory.

            Regards, Rob.

            Message 5 of 16 , May 1, 2003
              Rob Hamerling wrote:

              >Stef UCI wrote:
              >

              >>>I understand that preserving OCSCAL and the BG-bits requires some extra
              >>>actions with bulk erase, but I don't understand why programming will
              >>>take twice as long.
              >>>

              >>You've to program the device to the end (while I normaly stop when 20 *
              >>$3FFF occures).
              >>

              >Do you use the Wisp628 programmer?

              Rob,
              in the time I tried to understand what WISP exactly was (yes I'm quiet
              simple), I build my own.
              And it also has the trick you describe below (but address incrementing
              is still necessary to reach the end and reading before programming of
              the whole memory is also necessary).
              cheers,
              Stef

              >If yes then after end of the code-memory from the hex file you can use
              >'Wbusjump' to jump directly to the last program memory word (presuming
              >you have a recent firmware level, I think it has to be at least version
              >1.06). This will save more time for chips with larger program memory.
              >
              >Regards, Rob.

            • Wouter van Ooijen
              Message 6 of 16 , May 1, 2003
                sorry, for Dutch speaking folk only:

                www.circuitsonline.net is een nederlandstalig electronica forum, met een
                veelal jong publiek. Ik heb er (met Marcel) een wedstrijd(je)
                uitgeschreven, zie http://www.circuitsonline.net/forum/view.php?id=4548
                Misschien leuk om iets in te zenden?
                Wouter van Ooijen

                Van Ooijen Technische Informatica: www.voti.nl
                consultancy, development, PICmicro products