Re: [jallist] Serial etc question

  • Eur van Andel
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 1, 2002
      On Thu, 31 Oct 2002 22:52:47 +0200, "j. erola" <jouni.erola@...> wrote:

      >So, as said I'm using 16f877 with 4mhz crystal. Any suggestions with
      >circuits or anything would be nice.. It can't be this hard but I'm already
      >getting tired.
      Since you have a f877, I assume you have a bootloader too?

      Use the highest speed (20 MHz) and the bootloader pin, if you don't need to
      receive anything from the PC.

      I can do 1200 and 2400 baud over the bootloader pin with no problems.

      Some code:

      <JAL>
      const asynch_baudrate = 1200
      const asynch_polarity = active_low -- mod for bootloader
      const asynch_parity = parity_none
      const asynch_stopbits = 2

      var volatile bit asynch_in_pin is pin_c0 -- bootloader pin
      var volatile bit asynch_in_direction is pin_c0_direction
      var volatile bit asynch_out_pin is pin_c0 -- bootloader pin
      var volatile bit asynch_out_direction is pin_c0_direction

      include seriali -- serial communication with PC
      </JAL>

      Your bootloader pin is probably pin_e2.

      Try over the bootloader pin first with 4 MHz and increse the baudrate until it
      no longer works. You might not need the 20 MHz.

      --
      Ir. E.E. van Andel, Fine Wire Heat Exchanger Technology www.fiwihex.com
      Wierdensestraat 74, NL-7604 BK Almelo, The Netherlands eur@...
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 1, 2002
        Hi Vasile,

        Here, in Spain, also celebrates "all dead's day".

        Regards, Javi

        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 1, 2002
          Hi Jouni,

          Perhaps you have problems with hd44780 library if you are using the serial
          library at RX, not on TX.

          Go by steps, make a program to send st to serial and check that works, then
          add the LCD, etc.

          I've also a serial library for f877, test them, there's examples ready to
          run:

          http://www.terra.es/personal8/japus12/main.html

          Regards, Javi

          > But: I've tried to connect the PIC to serial port. I've tried with
          > serial.jal trough MAX232, I get some data on hyper terminal but it ain't
          > right. I'm also using hd44780-based LCD to display the AD-conversion, could
          > this be the problem? I read from somewhere that the delays caused by HD44780
          > routines are distrubing the serial? Can this be right? What baud rates I can
          > use when I'm using 4mhz crystal? All up to 9600?

          > There is this routine for the USART on f877 and found Vasile's routines for
          > that. But, should I use MAX232 if I use usart?What about delaying then? I'm
          > about to use 3 different temperature-sensors. Can USART be used with 4mhz?
          > What crystal do you recommend?
          >
          > So, as said I'm using 16f877 with 4mhz crystal. Any suggestions with
          > circuits or anything would be nice.. It can't be this hard but I'm already
          > getting tired.
          >
          > Jouni
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • j. erola
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 1, 2002
            From: "Vasile Surducan" <vasile@...-cj.ro>
            > There is any similar festivity in other countries ?

            In Finland there's no such general activity. They (markets) are trying to
            build the helloween culture as it is US but gladly Finnish people don't buy
            it. I think because it's not in the culture now, it shouldn't be since it's
            mostly that the markets want to sell more unuseful stuff to people.

            Sorry being critical :-)
          • Vasile Surducan
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 1, 2002
              On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, j. erola wrote:

> [...]

              You aren't critical at all, "the all dead's day" longs here since I ever
              know, so it's not a commercial activity, neither a borrowed Haloween. It's
              just a tradition. I want to know if there are similarities in different
              countries culture. Till now, the spanish have it... AFIK you have also the
              elf's beliving isn't it ? They must have also a day to be celebrated...

              best, Vasile
            • j. erola
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 1, 2002
                > countries culture. Till now, the spanish have it... AFIK you have also the
                > elf's beliving isn't it ? They must have also a day to be celebrated...

                No, maybe some people believe in elf's ;-) but we don't celebrate those
                nationally. In Finland there is following national celebration days : New
                year, Easter, Vappu (labors day), Juhannus (mid-summer party, we are burning
                bonfire's and 90% of Finnish people are drunk as duck), Independency day,
                Christmas.

                And unofficial, as I call, markets made celebrations : Mother's day
                (celebrating mothers), Dad's day and some minor celebrations which won't let
                me keep a day of from work ..

                Of course there is some churches own celebrations.. But generally nothing
                like Elf's or pumpkins.

                btw, here is a good place to look up information of finns:
                http://virtual.finland.fi/

                Enough non-pic-talk :-)

                Jouni
              • Jeethu Rao
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 2, 2002
                  We Indians will be having Deepavli (or Divali) the festival of lights
                  The next week, 3 days (4th to 6th). All houses will be Lit up with
                  hundreds of small oil lit lamps (Adds up to millions in every city!).
                  A beautiful sight to see. The story behind deepavali is quite different
                  though. It's vaguely about a dead king visiting his subjects, to make
                  sure
                  everything is allright (some kinda mythological crap..) And all we need
                  is a
                  reason to have a good time.

                  Regards,

                  Jeethu Rao