Re: Another part-time lurker re-appears (follow-up)

  • d_w_jenkins
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2002
      --- In jallist@y..., "mikerey35475" <mwrey@b...> wrote:
      > It's great to hear that you have your speedometer working. I
      > visited your site and looked at your code. It refreshed my memory
      > that it was your initial code for the speedometer that enabled me
      > to count pulses on a pin (back when I was experimenting with my
      > never-finished weather center). That code has become intergral in
      > my robot experiment, which I hope to "finish" within the next month
      > or so.

      Mike,

      Glad to be of service!

      David
    • Vasile Surducan
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1, 2002
        On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, d_w_jenkins wrote:

        > Ages ago Vasile asked to see the code - this has been put on my web
        > site at http://homepage.virgin.net/d.w.jenkins. Go via the steering
        > wheel and "Instrumentation", or go directly to
        > http://homepage.virgin.net/d.w.jenkins/jal-code.htm - of course you
        > will miss all the good bits! (or "rubbish" as some would say...)

        speedo.jal eh ?
        I'm satisfied, your page looks better now ! but you don't show us the
        average routine ( those for you declared byte b1 to b8 )
        Also, I feel you had a lot of trouble ( if this code was used ) to
        calibrate your spedometer using a standard one, right ?

        best regards,
        Vasile
      • d_w_jenkins
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 1, 2002
          --- In jallist@y..., Vasile Surducan <vasile@l...> wrote:

          > I'm satisfied, your page looks better now ! but you don't show us
          > the average routine ( those for you declared byte b1 to b8 )
          > Also, I feel you had a lot of trouble ( if this code was used )
          > to calibrate your spedometer using a standard one, right ?

          Vasile

          Oops! I took the averaging routine out as it didn't stop the reading
          changing, but it considerably slowed the speedo's ability to change.
          Now that I have a 'real car' with a digital speedo I find that it is
          just about impossible to drive at a constant speed anyway, so the
          occasional change by 1 unit is irrelevant. Now I must go back and
          take all those unwanted declarations out... at least it will make my
          code even smaller!

          As for calibration - I haven't got that far yet (I'm still building
          the car). I have calculated the number of pulses I will get from the
          gearbox sender at a given speed, and I made a pulse generator using
          another 16F84. I calibrated the speedo to over-read the speed: when
          the display shows 60 miles per hour my real speed will be about 56 -
          58. This meets the requirements of the vehicle inspectorate, when I
          get the car tested (I am allowed to over-read to a given percentage,
          but not allowed to under-read at all). Mechanical speedos are very
          inaccurate beasts, so mine should be a lot better in comparison
          (hopefully).

          regards,

          David