Re: Recommendations for boot loader

  • Seb
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2008
      > I will be using a PIC16F886 in this application.

      Well, neither Tiny Bootloader not Bloader/Screamer seem to support
      this chip. Both are commonly used, I personnaly prefer Tiny Bootloader
      since there's a python version which works nice under Linux. Did you
      find any which support your chip ?

      I've never used it with jal v2.4, but it works perfectly with jal
      v2.3. You'll need to add -long-start option to jal compiler in order
      to set the correct "jump to" instruction at the beginning the PIC prg.

      Seb
    • Gordon Williams
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 13, 2008
        I'm currently looking at Tiny to see if I can make it work with the 16F886.

        What does the -long-start option in the jal2 compiler do? Looking at the
        assembly I don't see any change.

        I'm assuming that the host prog on the PC will take the 1st 4 asm
        instructions and put them in the proper place at the beginning of the
        bootloader. I don't need to do anything with my program.

        How robust is this bootloader? Will it pick up any transmission errors?

        Regards,

        Gordon Williams

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 14, 2008
          > What does the -long-start option in the jal2 compiler do?
          > Looking at the assembly I don't see any change.

          Using jal v2.3, there actually differences about how the program starts.

          > I don't need to do anything with my program.

          What do you mean ?

          > How robust is this bootloader? Will it pick up any transmission
          > errors?

          Yes, there are CRC checks. It works perfectly for me (16F88).

          Seb
        • Seb
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 14, 2008
            BTW, I use a python version of TinyBL, originally written by Ricardo
            Amezquita (http://www.cihologramas.com/contrib/pytbl.html). Ricardo
            and I have modified/debugged it to include 16F88 support. The script
            has GUI (wxpython) and also works via command line (Win + Linux). The
            script is quite complex, but maybe I (or you, if you know python)
            could include 16F886 support, depending on how writing to flash memory
            is done. As I don't have such a chip, I won't be able to test it...

            Hope it helps.

            Seb

            PS: note the version on its site may not work, as Ricardo didn't
            include some of my changes. If you're interested, I can PM a working
            version of pytbl.
          • Gordon Williams
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 17, 2008
              I got the Tiny Bootloader working for the 16F886 chip and used the PC
              program on his website. The GUI doesn't fit in the window very well, but I
              was able to use it anyway.

              Regards,

              Gordon Williams

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 18, 2008
                > I got the Tiny Bootloader working for the 16F886 chip and used the
                PC program on his website.

                Great ! Did you had to modify the script (registering family, blocks,
                etc...) ? If so, I think it worth sending those modifications to the
                author.

                Seb
              • Gordon Williams
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 18, 2008
                  Actually, I didn't do very much at all, thought it took me a while to
                  understand the asm and check the settings against the data sheet to make
                  sure that they were correct, which they were.

                  These were the lines that I changed in 16F asm file

                  LIST P=16F886, F=INHX8M ; change also: Configure->SelectDevice from Mplab
                  xtal EQU 4000000 ; default intosc of 4Mhz you may also want to change:
                  _HS_OSC _XT_OSC
                  baud EQU 19200 ; standard TinyBld baud rates: 115200 or 19200
                  ;using the internal osc (4 MHz is default speed)
                  __CONFIG _CONFIG1, b'1110000011000100' ;unimplemented use 1
                  __CONFIG _CONFIG2, b'1111111011111111'

                  in the icdpictypes.inc I added:

                  IFDEF __16F886
                  #include "p16f886.inc"
                  IdTypePIC = 0x34
                  #define max_flash 0x2000
                  ENDIF

                  Then in the PC exc program dir in the piccodes.ini file I added.

                  $34, B, 16F 886, $4000, $100,

                  It works so far but my test programs have only be a few 100 bytes.

                  I've copied the author so if he wants to modify his program he can. Too bad
                  his GUI doesn't fit well into the window.

                  Hope this is useful to someone else.