SD memory card with 16f628 ??

  • bartschipper
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2008
      I like to connect a SD memory card to a 16f6x8 processor, not using the
      USART connection. This USART connection is already in use for rs232. Is
      there somebody who has succeed in doing this?
      Regards, Bart
    • Mihai
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2008
        On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 12:53:39 -0000
        bartschipper wrote:

        > I like to connect a SD memory card to a 16f6x8 processor,
        > not using the USART connection. This USART connection is
        > already in use for rs232. Is there somebody who has
        > succeed in doing this? Regards, Bart

        I had a success story for MMC card in SPI mode in the same
        situation (reading data on USART and writing down to MMC
        card after some calculations). I did not use any FS but
        using MMC as RAW memory writing block by block with 512
        bytes. Actualy there are only about 100 bytes, but for the
        price of 256MB MMC card I did not mind to optimize that
        and prefer leading the unused bytes in each block :))

        Anyway, if this could be useful for you, I can put the
        library online (for 16F628) on Monday.
        Please let me know.

        Best regards,
        Mihai
      • Vasile Surducan
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1, 2008
          --- In jallist@yahoogroups.com, Mihai <mihai@...> wrote:

          > On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 12:53:39 -0000
          > bartschipper wrote:
          >
          > > I like to connect a SD memory card to a 16f6x8 processor,
          > > not using the USART connection. This USART connection is
          > > already in use for rs232. Is there somebody who has
          > > succeed in doing this? Regards, Bart
          > >

          > I had a success story for MMC card in SPI mode in the same
          > situation (reading data on USART and writing down to MMC
          > card after some calculations). I did not use any FS but
          > using MMC as RAW memory writing block by block with 512
          > bytes. Actualy there are only about 100 bytes, but for the
          > price of 256MB MMC card I did not mind to optimize that
          > and prefer leading the unused bytes in each block :))
          >
          > Anyway, if this could be useful for you, I can put the
          > library online (for 16F628) on Monday.
          > Please let me know.

          I'm curious how you did it. I'm struggling with a FAT16 since a while
          and decided to use a hardware FAT due the large memory request.
          However the raw memory does not allow reading the SD from another
          standardised device, right ?

          Vasile
        • Bughy
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 1, 2008
            I saw this module on the web. Based on the description offered on the site this is a good solution to your problems. I guess that what you try to achieve is a data logger. This might be easiest way to interface a mmc in fat16.

            All the best, Bogdan

            http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8567#

            > > I like to connect a SD memory card to a 16f6x8 processor,
            > > not using the USART connection. This USART connection is
            > > already in use for rs232. Is there somebody who has
            > > succeed in doing this? Regards, Bart
            > >

            > I had a success story for MMC card in SPI mode in the same
            > situation (reading data on USART and writing down to MMC
            > card after some calculations) . I did not use any FS but
            > using MMC as RAW memory writing block by block with 512
            > bytes. Actualy there are only about 100 bytes, but for the
            > price of 256MB MMC card I did not mind to optimize that
            > and prefer leading the unused bytes in each block :))
            >
            > Anyway, if this could be useful for you, I can put the
            > library online (for 16F628) on Monday.
            > Please let me know.

            I'm curious how you did it. I'm struggling with a FAT16 since a while
            and decided to use a hardware FAT due the large memory request.
            However the raw memory does not allow reading the SD from another
            standardised device, right ?

            Vasile

            <!--

            #ygrp-mkp{
            #ygrp-mkp hr{
            border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
            #ygrp-mkp #hd{
            #ygrp-mkp #ads{
            margin-bottom:10px;}
            #ygrp-mkp .ad{
            padding:0 0;}
            #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
            color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
            -->

            <!--

            #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
            font-family:Arial;}
            #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
            #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
            margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
            -->

            <!--

            #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
            #ygrp-text{
            font-family:Georgia;
            }
            #ygrp-text p{
            margin:0 0 1em 0;}
            #ygrp-tpmsgs{
            font-family:Arial;
            clear:both;}
            #ygrp-vitnav{
            #ygrp-vitnav a{
            padding:0 1px;}
            #ygrp-actbar{
            #ygrp-actbar .left{
            float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
            .bld{font-weight:bold;}
            #ygrp-grft{
            #ygrp-ft{
            padding:5px 0;
            }
            #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
            padding-bottom:10px;}

            #ygrp-vital{
            #ygrp-vital #vithd{
            #ygrp-vital ul{
            padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
            #ygrp-vital ul li{
            }
            #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
            #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
            font-weight:bold;}
            #ygrp-vital a{
            text-decoration:none;}

            #ygrp-vital a:hover{
            text-decoration:underline;}

            #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
            color:#999;font-size:77%;}
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
            padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
            text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
            #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
            padding:8px 0;}
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
            text-decoration:none;}
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
            text-decoration:underline;}
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
            margin:0;}
            o{font-size:0;}
            .MsoNormal{
            margin:0 0 0 0;}
            #ygrp-text tt{
            font-size:120%;}
            blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
            .replbq{margin:4;}
            -->

          • bartschipper
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 1, 2008
              --- In jallist@yahoogroups.com, Mihai <mihai@...> wrote:

              > On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 12:53:39 -0000
              > bartschipper wrote:
              >
              > > I like to connect a SD memory card to a 16f6x8 processor,
              > > not using the USART connection. This USART connection is
              > > already in use for rs232. Is there somebody who has
              > > succeed in doing this? Regards, Bart
              > >

              > I had a success story for MMC card in SPI mode in the same
              > situation (reading data on USART and writing down to MMC
              > card after some calculations). I did not use any FS but
              > using MMC as RAW memory writing block by block with 512
              > bytes. Actualy there are only about 100 bytes, but for the
              > price of 256MB MMC card I did not mind to optimize that
              > and prefer leading the unused bytes in each block :))
              >
              > Anyway, if this could be useful for you, I can put the
              > library online (for 16F628) on Monday.
              > Please let me know.
              >
              > Best regards,
              > Mihai

              That looks very interesting.
              Please let me have a look in what you have made.
              Regards Bart
            • bartschipper
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 1, 2008
                --- In jallist@yahoogroups.com, Bughy <bogdan45ro@...> wrote:

                > I saw this module on the web. Based on the description offered on
                the site this is a good solution to your problems. I guess that what
                you try to achieve is a data logger. This might be easiest way to
                interface a mmc in fat16.

                > All the best, Bogdan
                >
                > http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8567#

                Spending $35,-- is not an option.
                It's more fun for me to create something myself (with a little help
                from my friends).
                regards Bart
              • Mihai
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 2, 2008
                  On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 15:38:10 -0000
                  Vasile Surducan wrote:

                  > I'm curious how you did it. I'm struggling with a FAT16
                  > since a while and decided to use a hardware FAT due the
                  > large memory request. However the raw memory does not
                  > allow reading the SD from another standardised device,
                  > right ?

                  Actualy I read the card into a cheap 5 Euro card reader,
                  using API functions for Windows or direct drive IO access
                  on /dev/sdXX on Linux, of course, reading also RAW block
                  by block (on Linux works with dd for example). The only
                  important thing is to avoid writting first 128 blocks of
                  512 bytes on the card (actualy I think less blocks, but,
                  again it was too complicated so I passed 128 :))). If you
                  write from the first block you will destroy MBR and this
                  will not allow you to read into another device. Otherwise
                  everithing was working. I did not test on SD cards, only on
                  MMC. I do not know if SD can support same SPI protocol.
                  Anyway, I am regularily use such devices to store huge
                  amount of data (such data loggers) and created small piece
                  of Windows/Linux software to download the data directly into
                  a database.

                  Best regards,
                  Mihai
                • Mihai
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 2, 2008

                    > That looks very interesting.
                    > Please let me have a look in what you have made.
                    > Regards Bart

                    here you can find the library and a sample procedure

                    http://www.automatrom.ro/dl/pic/mmc.tar.gz

                    it compiles on old 0.4.59 which I used for that project,
                    but I think somebody can also port on Jal v2.
                    sorry for almost inexistent documentation on this, I always
                    want to do that but always found other things to do :)
                    I tried to add some comments where I think was strictly
                    necessary.

                    Regards
                    Mihai
                  • bartschipper
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 2, 2008
                      --- In jallist@yahoogroups.com, Mihai <mihai@...> wrote:

                      > > That looks very interesting.
                      > > Please let me have a look in what you have made.
                      > > Regards Bart
                      > >

                      > here you can find the library and a sample procedure
                      >
                      > http://www.automatrom.ro/dl/pic/mmc.tar.gz
                      >
                      > it compiles on old 0.4.59 which I used for that project,
                      > but I think somebody can also port on Jal v2.
                      > sorry for almost inexistent documentation on this, I always
                      > want to do that but always found other things to do :)
                      > I tried to add some comments where I think was strictly
                      > necessary.
                      >
                      > Regards
                      > Mihai
                      Mihai,
                      For some reasons I cannot get gunzip working on my Vista computer. Is
                      it possible to email the bare files or pack them in a (for me normal)
                      ZIP file?
                      Regards Bart

                    • Bert van Dam
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 2, 2008
                        >Mihai,
                        >For some reasons I cannot get gunzip working on my Vista computer. Is
                        >it possible to email the bare files or pack them in a (for me normal)
                        >ZIP file?
                        >Regards Bart

                        I would prefer a zip file too. Could you please post it in zip (or
                        uncompressed) on the yahoo site? I am sure this is going to be a popular
                        download!

                        Have fun,
                        Bert

                        http://members.home.nl/b.vandam/lonely/index.html
                      • mihai@remember.ro
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 2, 2008
                          On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 16:46:39 +0100, "Bert van Dam" <bertvandam@...> wrote:
                          >>Mihai,
                          >>For some reasons I cannot get gunzip working on my Vista computer. Is
                          >>it possible to email the bare files or pack them in a (for me normal)
                          >>ZIP file?
                          >>Regards Bart
                          >
                          > I would prefer a zip file too. Could you please post it in zip (or
                          > uncompressed) on the yahoo site? I am sure this is going to be a popular
                          > download!

                          Sorry, I was stupid enough not posting a zip version.
                          Here you can find it converted to DOS <CR><LF> end of line format:

                          http://www.automatrom.ro/dl/pic/mmc.zip

                          There is also the .tar.gz version left at:

                          http://www.automatrom.ro/dl/pic/mmc.tar.gz

                          I have also uploaded into the group file section

                          Regards,
                          Mihai