Re: [Jain Friends] Need Information on Jain Names

  • Vishal Shah
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 31, 2002
      Hi All,

      I have some Jain names. I gathered some Jain names
      1.5 years back for my daughter. At last I choosed
      'Suvidhi'. Besides 9th tirthankar name, Pujya
      Shashibhai Sheth(Bhavanar, India) wrote book
      'Tatvanushilan'. The first chapter of book is SUVIDHI,
      which shows the proper procedure to achieve
      'Self-realisation'.

      My list is as below. It's for girl.

      Names: Meaning

      anubhuti - Self realisation
      swanubhuti - Self realisation
      sudharma - name of tirthakar in 'videh xetra'.
      Suvidhi - Real procedure
      mokshada - The Salvation giver
      mahatta - Admiring(true respect)
      sarvada - Always, Giver of everything
      vivixa/viviksha - Comparision/Interpretation
      avritti - Edition
      mumuksha - Person on path of salvation
      pravajya - dixa
      prashasti - Admiring/Acknowledge
      sannidhi - Near to treasure
      pratiti - Realise, Atma-Pratiti.
      drashta - Person who has vision. (Gnata-Drasta)
      nishtha - Dedication
      virakti - dixa (Opposite to become wet)
      dhaarana - Assumption, Knowledge stored in mind
      prashata - Advance peace
      apexa/apeksha - Expectation, with respect to
      parinati - Auto flow
      sharvari - Night
      pratigna - Pledge
      pratixa - Waiting
      Astha -

      Samvedi - Sensitive
      videhi - Residient of Videh(Xetra)
      Gatha - Story (Poetry)
      Sudhairya - With very good patience
      Gati - Motion/Direction
      Pravegi - In Special Motion
      Taxshila - Name of 1 ancient University (Vidyapith)
      Shalaka - stick (Anjan Shalaka Mahotsav)
      Divya Dhwani - Divine voice of Tirthakar
      Nirzara - Removal of bounded Karma
      Pradakshina -
      Pratima - Idole
      Aryika/Arjika - Lady Monk

      For Boy::::::::
      Vitraag - Arihant
      Anuyog - 4 division of Jain texts.
      Shiv/Shivam - Salvation
      Om -
      Mrityunjay - Victory over death, i.e. God.
      Tirthankar -
      Tirthesh -
      Deval - Temple
      Sanvar - Sanvar dev, Stoppage of Karma binding.
      Yati/Yatish - Monk
      Adhyay - Chapter
      Arya - Gentleman

      ---
      Have some more web sites....

      Babynamesindia.com - includes world's cutest babies,
      pregnancy resources, nursery rhymes, and more.

      India a2z - includes search engine for Indian names.
      Indian Baby Names - Indian names and their meanings,
      including Hindu, Jain And Sikh names.
      Indian Names for Babies

      Nameandfame.com - includes list of rare names, as well
      as news, articles, and facts about names.

      TamilBabyNames.com - offers listing of Tamil names by
      gender with meanings.

      yourbabysname.com - offers a searchable database of
      names with meanings.

      http://www.yourbabysname.com/new.htm (Not included in
      this list)

      http://www.indiaparenting.com/names/index.htm (Not