Re: Jains Destroying Their Own Heritage

  • ymalaiya
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2010

      Dear Mahavir,

      I think you have referred to a real dilemma that is worth examining.

      There have been several instances where a Jain Temple  was completely replaced by an entirely new structure. In some cases, there have been bitter disputes in the community.

      Personally I have a lot of interest in archaeology. I find an ancient building more fascinating and more auspicious than the grandest modern building. But that is my perspective.   Many people feel that a temple is a utilitarian and a living structure, that should be modified or added to depending on the needs of the worshippers.

      Is a temple a museum, or is it a living building? That is the dilemma, and I think there is no simple answer. My view that that it should be both. A congregation should try to preserve historical charecteristics while rebuilding or expanding.

      I have noticed that after independence of India, a number of temples in India have been replaced by stone temples build in Rajput style, some of construction has been supervised the Somapuras.  In New York City's Metropolitan Museam,  a large part of a wooden Jain temple from Patan has been preserved.  The Patan temple had been rebuilt using stone and the wooden material was rotting away. The Americans acquired it. The wooden structures in India have become incredibly rare. You have to go to USA to see such gems of Indian architecture now.

      Regarding the Bangalore Chikkapet Temple. I visited the temple several times when I was there for a conference during 1990. I also visited their pathshala and talked with the head teacher.  It is a very dynamic organization.

      Chikkapet Temple is auctioning silver doors, construction elements etc because they are rebuilding their temple. It is less than a 100 years old. Normally the materials used in the old temple would have been disposed, for example the silver would be melted and reused etc. I think this auction will ensure that the silver doors etc will be preserved, although not at the original site.

      I think I cannot fault the Chikapet trustees. I hope that they will preserve some historical materials, but I think they may be doing the right thing by not reusing the silver from the doors but allowing art lovers an opportunity to preserve them.

      Regarding some of the other temples, I am not sure. I wish Kot Shantinathji Derasar trustees had  ensured that some of the historical character had been preserved. But it is a living temple, and according to custom, they have a right to rebuild it.

      I hope there will be some discussion of this withing the community.

      Yashwant

      --- In jainstoday@yahoogroups.com, Mahavir Sanglikar <msanglikar@...> wrote:

      Jains Destroying Their Own Heritage

      Most of the trustees of Jain Temples do not know the archeological value of their temples.

      Here are the two eye opening incidents:

      Jain Temple Fined by Mumbai Heritage Conservation Committee

      http://jainsamachar.blogspot.com/2010/02/jain-temple-fined.html

      Jain Temple Selling its Treasure

      http://jainsamachar.blogspot.com/2010/02/jain-temple-selling-its-treasure.html

      I would like to read your comments on this subject.

      -Mahavir Sanglikar

      www.jainology.blogspot.com/

    • msanglikar
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 9, 2010
        Dear Malaiyaji,

        Thank you for sharing your valuable thoughts.

        I think that Jains are not interested in preserving their heritage because for them, temples are just business centers, and reconstruction is the easiest way of collecting money. Generally, the idol worshipper communities and persons do not have thinking capacity, and as money is the most important thing for such communities, what we can expect from them?

        -Mahavir

        --- In jainstoday@yahoogroups.com, "ymalaiya" <ymalaiya@...> wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > Yashwant
        >

        > --- In jainstoday@yahoogroups.com, Mahavir Sanglikar <msanglikar@>
        > wrote:
        >

        > Jains Destroying Their Own Heritage
        >
        > Most of the trustees of Jain Temples do not know the archeological value
        > of their temples.
        >
        > Here are the two eye opening incidents:
        >
        > Jain Temple Fined by Mumbai Heritage Conservation Committee
        >
        > http://jainsamachar.blogspot.com/2010/02/jain-temple-fined.html
        > <http://jainsamachar.blogspot.com/2010/02/jain-temple-fined.html>
        >
        > Jain Temple Selling its Treasure
        >
        > http://jainsamachar.blogspot.com/2010/02/jain-temple-selling-its-treasur\
        > e.html
        > <http://jainsamachar.blogspot.com/2010/02/jain-temple-selling-its-treasu\
        > re.html>
        >
        > I would like to read your comments on this subject.

      • Paresh D. Motiwala
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 9, 2010
          Dear Yashwantji,

          I have been reading your postings which present absolutely unbiased views and you are always open for discussions. Regarding this particular topic on heritage you have provided a very balanced view which our dear friend Shri Mahavir has unfortunately not understood and as usual seen only one side of the matter and did not miss this opportunity to show his grudge against a particular sect of Jains which is very evident from his comment in response to your mail.

          regds,

          Paresh D. Motiwala
          Scientific Officer
          Bhabha Atomic Research Centre
          Electronics Divn., ACS Section,
          1-318S Mod. Lab.,
          Trombay, Mumbai-400 085.
          Tel.: 91-22-25593727
          Fax: 91-22-25505151

          Your worst days are never so bad, that you are beyond the reach of God's grace.
          Your good days are never so good that you are beyond the need of God's grace.

          "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray."