Some little known facts

  • Dr. C. Devakumar
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 30, 2008

      SOME LITTLE KNOWN FACTS

      Jai Jinendra

      I read these facts from a book called “Jain Dharma, Ahimsa and Mahatma Gandhi” authored by Acharya Sri Vidyanand Muni and published by Kund Kund Bharati, New Delhi.

      1. Lala Lajpatrai was a Jain but felt that the principle of Ahimsa weakened our self-rule.  But Gandhi Ji rebuked him and wrote him that there was no evidence to this fatalism. Gandhi Ji clarified that it was internal wrangling motivated by selfishness as the reason for downfall (page 12)

      2. Gandhiji’s mother guided him all through his childhood and gave him three Jain vows of abstaining from wine, woman and non-veg (page 5).

      3. Gandhiji was fond of a bhajan which expresses one’s aspiration to become a Digamber Muni and he used to sing this bhajan for others (page 10).

      4. He retorted Winston Churchill “I would love to be a naked fakir but I am not one yet” (quoted from “the Life of M.K. Gandhi’ by I. Fisher, page 473).

      5. “The main principle of Jains is compassion towards the living creatures of the world, in their entirety. I consider all of them jains, who follow this principle of Ahimsa towards their fellow beings” Gandhiji in Dainik Navakal dated 27 Nov 1932. (Page 12)

      6. The Jain population in the past (page 27).

      40 crores in 1000 B.C.

      25 crores in 500-600 B.C.

      20 crores in 815 A.D (King Amoghavarsha period)

      12  crores in 1173 A.D (King Kumarpal’s period)

      4 crores in 1556 AD (Badshah Akbar’s reign).

      (Quoted from “Jain aaNi Hindu” by Taatyasaheb. K. Chopre, page 47-48)

      7. Trishul is the symbol of three jewels of Jainism. (Tirayana tisuladhariya – Acharya  Virasena in  the ancient and sacred book Dhavala 1-1-25).

      Kind regards

      Dev

      Share files, take polls, and make new friends - all under one roof. Click here.
    • Jain, Ankit
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 31, 2008
        Interesting facts, liked to read, but it is sad that Jains are reducing with time. Let us start creating terms like:
        "Jain diet" - No egg, No Meat, No Fish
        The purpose is to give this term an International exposure and popularity and let it come back to India.
        Do you know that Yoga was not that popular in India, but when it went International it was accepted by world then it was a hit in India also, Baba Ramdev and all kinds of things.
        See westerners call the same term as VEGAN DIET which is the same as Jain diet and is coming to India, with so many bollywood stars followers of PETA.
        I just think that how Jain people live and eat contribute to the good cause of environment. But I dont know how to put it together and create a Jain term for the world to follow.
        We dont kill animals, we beleive in abstinence, Our sadhus walk and discard use of transport....etc, something like that.